Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 09:00 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So you believe man evolved from primates and was not created? Because that is the crux of the issue. I have no problem believing small changes can happen within a species. I have a problem believing that God is not the author of human life.

I believe we are primates. God is the author of all life. No, I don't buy the Garden of Eden explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 09:32 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I believe we are primates. God is the author of all life. No, I don't buy the Garden of Eden explanation.
So you claim to be a Christian yet you are anti-Bible and now don't even believe God created man. I'm finding it hard to see anything you believe that is different from atheists. No wonder you praise them.

If you reject Genesis then you might as well reject the cruxification which is foretold in Genesis.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:42 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
So you claim to be a Christian yet you are anti-Bible and now don't even believe God created man. I'm finding it hard to see anything you believe that is different from atheists. No wonder you praise them.

If you reject Genesis then you might as well reject the cruxification which is foretold in Genesis.
Yet another example of a tightly-shuttered mind.

Very sad.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:43 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
So you believe man evolved from primates .....
...and after all the times he's been told it's the same old... ignore the facts that have been presented and repeat your own staggering ignorance.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:49 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:

Are you referring to Genesis 3:15?

Better do some real bible study, Jeff. Why? Because even if one accepts the words as you know them, it is as vague as any Nostradamus 'prophecy'.

The Latin Vulgate version of the Old Testament has a horrible translation in Genesis 3:15. It changes the pronoun from the masculine his to the feminine. This translation gave wrongful support for the claims concerning a future virgin birth.

Your WRONG Jeff as you are basing your information on a bad translation, not on what was written.

Atheists once again giving bible lessons

Old 09-12-2016, 12:02 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:

If you reject Genesis then you might as well reject the crucifixion which is foretold in Genesis.
("cruxification" corrected. No need to thank me) Now, this is a very interesting discussion. It is essentially "Liberal Christian", incorporating Theistic evolution, vs. Genesis literalist Christian incorporating I presume taking all the absurdities of talking snakes and donkeys, mobile stars and shekel -eating fish as factual.

For me, any Christian who maintains a faith in God and a Jesus sent by God to save us is a Christian, even if they don't believe that a god who couldn't beat Iron Chariots could stop the earth rotating so the battle could go into extra time. For Jeff, apparently they are not, unless they believe such absurdities.Well, Jeff?

Old 09-12-2016, 01:17 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
("cruxification" corrected. No need to thank me) Now, this is a very interesting discussion. It is essentially "Liberal Christian", incorporating Theistic evolution, vs. Genesis literalist Christian incorporating I presume taking all the absurdities of talking snakes and donkeys, mobile stars and shekel -eating fish as factual.

For me, any Christian who maintains a faith in God and a Jesus sent by God to save us is a Christian, even if they don't believe that a god who couldn't beat Iron Chariots could stop the earth rotating so the battle could go into extra time. For Jeff, apparently they are not, unless they believe such absurdities.Well, Jeff?
Any "Christian" who rejects the Bible has no foundation for their faith. So they can make up any perverted version of the gospel that they want. This is why we see swingers groups having church, and without the Bible, you have no right to claim their lifestyle is wrong.

The absurdities that you mention are very minor in the Bible, and only represent your own supernatural bias and narrowed minded "perception always equals reality" mentality. Also, not many Christians out there take the Bible at 100% literal value. Metaphors and other type of language are in play.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:40 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:

It's possible to believe in a god without being a fundamentalist Christian. For example, 1.6 billion Muslims do so every day.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:42 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Any "Christian" who rejects the Bible has no foundation for their faith. .
They can pick and choose those portions of the Bible which they find relevant to sustaining a faith while rejecting other parts. E.g., someone may view the Garden of Eden story as a metaphorical explanation of humans coming into existence, while simultaneously embracing the Sermon on the Mount as a proper guide by which to live.

And why not? All Christians do this to one degree or another. I do not know any modern Christians who demand that every single law found in Leviticus must be applied to modern living. If you took it all as absolute authority which must be followed, you would be out stoning blasphemers and harlots, avoiding the consumption of non cud chewing, non divided hoof animals, and never touching seafood which does not have scales and fins. You would not wear clothing with mixed fabrics (better check the label of your shirt), and you would always stand in the presence of elders.

Do you follow all those rules? If not, then you are rejecting the Bible in no less a manner than those you condemn for not embracing it all.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:01 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Any "Christian" who rejects the Bible has no foundation for their faith.
They have Jesus, jeff. You are essentially rejecting the New Covenant instituted by Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality