Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 12:25 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If you're sure of that, great. You're staking your eternity on your opinion.

And you will answer to God for that.
Meh, if your god exists, he will be pleased that I was able to give a grieving person some peace and thoughts to help her recover from her loss. She found my words fairly inspirational, and we talked about that for some time. She never had the perspective before of us giving back to what we took from nature at least part of what we took while we were alive. That's what worm food does; we feed other living things and become part of the organic strata that sustains live, all live, on earth. In that way, the atoms that make up our bodies, the atoms that came from dying and exploding stars, where the atom in our left hand may have a different source than the one in the right foot, all of those atoms that was us, become part of something else. That is eternity that we all are destined for.

That's not woo or faith, Vizio. That just is. Reality can be so inspirational and spiritual, it doesn't require an esoteric believe in the unknown and unprovable. We always were part of the whole, and we become part of the whole when we die.

I can't think of anything more inspiring.

You might enjoy this 2 minute video. It has some very thoughtful points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmVLcj-XKnM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 03:48 PM

63,804 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Do you have any interests or hobbies besides slamming Christians and a God you don't believe in? I'd hate to walk around with your mentality- pathetic.
Use the "Quote" button so we know which post and WHO you are responding to.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:01 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Use the "Quote" button so we know which post and WHO you are responding to.
I'm responding to cupper3- the person filled with hatred for Christians and a God he does not believe in- which makes no sense. I disagree with non believers, but I don't experience a "high" with every opportunity to slam them- this person is either a troll, a sicko, or both.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I'm responding to cupper3- the person filled with hatred for Christians and a God he does not believe in- which makes no sense. I disagree with non believers, but I don't experience a "high" with every opportunity to slam them- this person is either a troll, a sicko, or both.

How can one hate a god one doesn't believe is real or exists? Do you hate Freya, Zeus or Mazda? I was describing a 'test' that Elijah had for Ahab, and it showed how to disprove that Ahab's god didn't exist, and how powerful Elijah's was.

So, using your bible's logic, show us that your fanciful god is real.

As the saying goes, some of my best acquaintances are christians. In fact, I may cuddle up with her later on today, and fornicate, sinner that I am.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:21 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Meh, if your god exists, he will be pleased that I was able to give a grieving person some peace and thoughts to help her recover from her loss. She found my words fairly inspirational, and we talked about that for some time. She never had the perspective before of us giving back to what we took from nature at least part of what we took while we were alive. That's what worm food does; we feed other living things and become part of the organic strata that sustains live, all live, on earth. In that way, the atoms that make up our bodies, the atoms that came from dying and exploding stars, where the atom in our left hand may have a different source than the one in the right foot, all of those atoms that was us, become part of something else. That is eternity that we all are destined for.

That's not woo or faith, Vizio. That just is. Reality can be so inspirational and spiritual, it doesn't require an esoteric believe in the unknown and unprovable. We always were part of the whole, and we become part of the whole when we die.

I can't think of anything more inspiring.

You might enjoy this 2 minute video. It has some very thoughtful points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmVLcj-XKnM
Does a decomposing body inside a casket actually become worm food? (of course, I have no way of knowing if this woman's husband was buried in a casket, but you do in general talk about people becoming "worm food"). I guess I always thought caskets were sealed up pretty tight, thus no dinner for the worms. That's one of the reasons I prefer cremation with ashes spread. The atoms truly do get put back into nature.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Gotta disagree. I've never told him this, but cupper3 is one of my CD heroes. He understands the harm and the incredulousness of religious teachings, especially biblical literalism, and he is putting some mighty fine food for thought out there for anyone willing to genuinely examine their beliefs. Unfortunately, most religious people are afraid to even consider that they might be wrong. I certainly was for decades.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:22 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Gotta disagree. I've never told him this, but cupper3 is one of my CD heroes. He understands the harm and the incredulousness of religious teachings, especially biblical literalism, and he is putting some mighty fine food for thought out there for anyone willing to genuinely examine their beliefs. Unfortunately, most religious people are afraid to even consider that they might be wrong. I certainly was for decades.
He's full of hate, and you are foolish to hero worship him. It's your life, however.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
He's full of hate, and you are foolish to hero worship him. It's your life, however.
I already said that I disagree with you. Cupper3 hates harmful untruths, as do I.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Does a decomposing body inside a casket actually become worm food? (of course, I have no way of knowing if this woman's husband was buried in a casket, but you do in general talk about people becoming "worm food"). I guess I always thought caskets were sealed up pretty tight, thus no dinner for the worms. That's one of the reasons I prefer cremation with ashes spread. The atoms truly do get put back into nature.
He was cremated. My understanding is that it is pretty difficult in my jurisdiction to have what is called a 'natural burial', as the options are limited. It is something that appears to be gathering more steam as more people are becoming aware of it. It is a discussion I will have with my children, with cremation being the other option. I can't see putting all those embalming chemicals into the environment with any good conscious.

One website describes it as this:
According to the Green Burial Council, green or natural burial is a way of caring for the deceased with minimal environmental impact. Generally, the body is prepared without chemical preservatives or disinfectants such as embalming fluid that may destroy the microbial decomposers active in breaking the body down. The body is usually buried in a biodegradable coffin, casket, or shroud. The grave does not use a burial vault or outer burial container that prohibits the body's contact with soil. The grave should be dug to a depth shallow enough to allow microbial activity similar to that found in composting. Natural burials must take place in a cemetery that will accommodate the vault-free technique.
Green burials - Calgary Co-operative Memorial Society

Old 09-21-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks, and I am blushing. You are correct, I am trying to get people to think, and if they do, they usually will make a good decision for themselves. Critical and skeptical thinking skills are sadly lacking today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality