Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 06:01 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Fair enough. My apologies. I would not choose the words you used because they would be seized upon by people who would assume what I did. But if all you're saying is that we can intuit more than we realize and that this is or will be ultimately explicable in naturalistic terms, then I am in absolute agreement with that.
Apologies accepted. I don't see a need to change my wording based on others assumptions. You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself.

I think many would view my words as woo or fluff but that's not where I am coming from. Perhaps I would be a New Age follower had I not studied science. Science puts a stop to the New Age Woo...it so did for me.

However not all New Age concepts are WOO.

My motto has always been to take the ideas that resonate with me, and forget the rest.

Only we know what's truly best for us...that is when we make those choices from a clear calm higher perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 01:49 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I don't see a need to change my wording based on others assumptions. You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself.
You don't have to, nor do I. However if everything I say is going to be twisted I either keep it to myself or find ways to express it that don't fall into people's default filters -- in hope that I might actually get a point or three across.

I will confess that over the years I have cared less and less because some are so attached at the hip to their ideology of choice that they will work very hard to misconstrue a point that even has a chance of not agreeing with their beliefs. But as a sometime technical writer and a business consultant I still basically believe in writing for a target audience, rather than for myself.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:39 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
A very interesting exchange, Mordant and Matadora. You are both dancing around the field aspect of everything while using the very field phenomenon that is crucial to understanding anything - consciousness. You seem to accept to different degrees that everything is some manifestation of an as yet unknown unified field without accepting that our consciousness is just that. The energy composite that actually thinks and makes decisions is NOT the individual neuronal activity that comprises our composite consciousness. It is the entity existing AS an EM-like energy composite that is the understander, decider, and knower of whatever we process about reality, NOT the recorded playback that we experience.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You don't have to, nor do I. However if everything I say is going to be twisted I either keep it to myself or find ways to express it that don't fall into people's default filters -- in hope that I might actually get a point or three across.
I was a clear as I could possible be with the words that I used.

I watched a very interesting movie last night (The Man Who Knew Infinity), about a true story of an very gifted mathematician. He was a autodidact. He was from India and deeply religious in Hindu practices.

He produced new theorems through deep meditation. He was an autodidact. He was truly gifted and it goes to show how powerful deep meditation can be.

Those of us that know how to achieve deep levels of meditation also find answers. What do you call this?

Is this connecting to some unseen energy on a level that can't be achieved with our regular waking consciousness?

Some view it as connecting to a god or to the unseen energies that are all around us and all throughout the Universe.

Most Westerners don't understand it and even view meditation as hippy dippy woo woo. It's not.

The New Age movement in the US gave a bad name to those of us who meditate and connect to another dimension that leads us to a clear understanding than what can be achieved in normal waking consciousness.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
A very interesting exchange, Mordant and Matadora. You are both dancing around the field aspect of everything while using the very field phenomenon that is crucial to understanding anything - consciousness.
I'm not dancing around anything. I know that consciousness is a form of energy.
Quote:
You seem to accept to different degrees that everything is some manifestation of an as yet unknown unified field without accepting that our consciousness is just that.
It's not an unknown field...it's just not an agreed upon definition of what it is.
Quote:
The energy composite that actually thinks and makes decisions is NOT the individual neuronal activity that comprises our composite consciousness. It is the entity existing AS an EM-like energy composite that is the understander, decider, and knower of whatever we process about reality, NOT the recorded playback that we experience.
I do not think this is accurate.

Easy example. There are people who are in a coma that demonstrate consciousness. Why is their consciousness not enabling them to speak or wake up from the coma?

Last edited by Matadora; 10-09-2016 at 03:59 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 04:20 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
A very interesting exchange, Mordant and Matadora. You are both dancing around the field aspect of everything while using the very field phenomenon that is crucial to understanding anything - consciousness. You seem to accept to different degrees that everything is some manifestation of an as yet unknown unified field without accepting that our consciousness is just that. The energy composite that actually thinks and makes decisions is NOT the individual neuronal activity that comprises our composite consciousness. It is the entity existing AS an EM-like energy composite that is the understander, decider, and knower of whatever we process about reality, NOT the recorded playback that we experience.
Quote:
It's not an unknown field...it's just not an agreed upon definition of what it is. I do not think this is accurate.
Easy example. There are people who are in a coma that demonstrate consciousness. Why is their consciousness not enabling them to speak or wake up from the coma?
If I can resort to analogy without the encumbrance of a specificity we do not yet have, our brain is the "transceiver" that produces the ongoing "TV Series" of our life that we only experience as the recorded playback of its production as our waking consciousness. If there is dysfunction in the "transceiver" our access at this level of being is restricted or lost. The deeper states of meditation that you and I apparently share actually achieve some more direct access to the real EM-like entity than our recorded waking consciousness can achieve. It also enables us to receive any strong transients from others who might be thinking and emoting about us.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:51 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
conservation laws apply.

It aint that hard ladies.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
If I can resort to analogy without the encumbrance of a specificity we do not yet have, our brain is the "transceiver" that produces the ongoing "TV Series" of our life that we only experience as the recorded playback of its production as our waking consciousness. If there is dysfunction in the "transceiver" our access at this level of being is restricted or lost. The deeper states of meditation that you and I apparently share actually achieve some more direct access to the real EM-like entity than our recorded waking consciousness can achieve. It also enables us to receive any strong transients from others who might be thinking and emoting about us.
maybe.

I know you understand so I will be brief. Its not transmitting, it is us and we are it.

The universe knows what we know. it has to, there is no other take on it that is valid. Our brains are like nodes, all connected together. But then when you think about it, we know, because the universe is already "knowing". But its a confluence of events, not a fundamental field.

we are in its image, that image is a confluence of events. pixels if you will ... lmao, thats funny, pixels, our brains are like pixels. 680x720, not HD.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
It's not an unknown field...it's just not an agreed upon definition of what it is.
I do not think this is accurate.

no, nobody knows what energy is. nobody knows why we are aware. there are levels of awareness. We can't agree on what it is because we don't know what it is.

You are hiding your beliefs for some reason. I believe you have bought into the mort's idea that we shouldn't talk about some things because the 'theist" can use it. he's afraid, you don't strike me as afraid. I am not sure why you would think that stance is valid.

Maybe its "atheist unity", but I don't think that's the case because I feel you are trying to help. So unity over truth doesn't seem to fit your style.

maybe I am wrong, But I am right far more times than I am wrong. or you are just that stupid, but I don't believe that. very young, but not stupid.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:06 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
There are hundreds of billions of insects on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality