Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 10:07 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Still waiting for you to explain what humble is and why it is important. Haven't seen any evidence of that yet.
I have the answer. I am the arbiter of moral truth and I say so.
Good enough?

Just kidding. Why being humble is important is because it benefits us. When you are humble to someone else it increases your chances that they might help you in your time of hardship.
I think evolution poses a very good explanation for morality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 01:13 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
So why would you use science as a tool for measuring the bible? Wrong tool for the job.
1. Nobody is using science as a tool for measuring the Bible aside from such ways that the augmentation of scientific knowledge increasingly contrasts with the dearth of anything in the Bible that explains anything about the natural world (not that the Bible purports to be a science textbook, just as it is not a history textbook.)

2. Some people attempt frequently to use the Bible as a tool for measuring reality. Talk about being off the mark!

Old 09-30-2016, 04:05 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I have never met anyone who thought that a purpose of science is to teach people to be humble, so my answer to your question would be: not one bit.
Science didn't teach me to appreciate music or play the piano. Science didn't teach me how to crochet. Science didn't teach me that it is compassionate to make a meal for my sick neighbor. I don't turn to science for any of those things, but I am grateful to science for the many, many advances it has brought about in our world.
Religion, however, tried to make me so humble that I considered myself wretched, as vile as vomit, and my best deeds as filthy rags. Self-esteem was considered a horrible, sinful thing to instill in one's children. When a person is that "humble," it's pretty easy to manipulate and control them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
What is it you are suggesting I don't understand? What details do I need to see?
You may have read this post of mine in another thread, but in case you missed it, this will tell you a bit about about my former Christian self.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/45647899-post63.html
I think I completely understand now. I see clearly now. The blinders have been removed from my eyes, and the mind control has lost its grasp.
It is true that early learning can be hard to unlearn. Congratulations on escaping from it. Usually, the intellectual force required to break free impels the cognitive pendulum to the opposite extreme and if there is no intellectual counter force it may not swing back toward the middle for a very long time, if ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It took me more than twice that long to know better. Some of us are just really slow learners.
Not true, Pleroo. Early learning is strong when there is strong love and trust in the teachers.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:33 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
THe sad thing is that you can't seem to see the difference between a guy like Manson and the nice church on the corner.
You sad thing is that you're a one-trick pony who plays this childish faux-obtuse shtick to no end, probably because you never have anything of substance to offer.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:50 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It took me more than twice that long to know better. Some of us are just really slow learners.
lmao,

I am an idiot savant ... my savantness is being an idoit.

I think it may be time for me to rethink "age" as defining a brain state. If I didn't fix a broken leg at 10 and i limped the rest of my life, no one would try and make me run. And I would have to be honest too.

you, trout, pc, ward, miss all make me think and rethink.

thanks
Pleroo

Old 09-30-2016, 09:19 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Except that the slavery of ancient Israel was much different than the slavery of 1835.

No....as I said, God allowed slavery to happen. He did not endorse it or encourage it.
This is the fundy way of attempting to say Judaism and Christianity never were influenced by the culture of their day. Or, if those religions DID accept current culture, God didn't approve. Never mind God didn't mention any of it, and the only biblical words we have concerning slavery appear to put "controls" on it in ancient Israel.

Never mind that virtually every nation practiced slavery. Never mind that God had no problem with the Israelites being enslaved for "seventy" years (which was really not quite that long). Never mind that fundies today practice enslaving people spiritually much in the manner of Jim Jones (believe my way or go to hell). Never mind that Southern Baptists (my denomination where I was educated at an SBC school, licensed to preach, served as a senior administrator for a year in my alma mater) was established by supporting slavery and remains the largest Protestant denomination in America if not the world.

The Bible indicates preferred treatment for HEBREW slaves, not others, in see Exodus 21:1-11; 25:39-55; Deuteronomy 15:12-18).

Jesus never mentions slavery other than an unfortunate parable where He assumes beating a slave is acceptable (cultural identity by Jesus, too! ).

Paul has been the problem Christians have with slavery. Yet modern scholarship, which fundies go on a tirade against, appears to exonerate Paul because all the letters with the worst of Paul's slavery rhetoric are not considered authentic to Paul by most modern scholars--and perhaps those pseudo letters were intended to support a widespread practice.

Where Paul's authentic writings are concerned, he appears much more amenable to mitigation of slavery, as in Philemon 1:16.

We even have translation difficulties in understanding what Paul DID write about slavery:

I Corinthians 7:21
English Standard Version:
Quote:
Were you a slave when called? Do not be concerned about it. But if you can gain your freedom, avail yourself of the opportunity.
New Revised Standard Version:
Quote:
Were you a slave when called? Do not be concerned about it. Even if you can gain your freedom, make use of your present condition now more than ever.
Does Paul encourage slaves to embrace their captivity or to gain their freedom? Depends on the translation one reads.

And even the ESV has recently revised their language on the above verse to read "bondservant" rather than "slave." In my opinion it is an attempt to further muddy the translation waters.

The answers are never as easy and frequently not as clear cut as fundies like to present them.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:04 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Except that the slavery of ancient Israel was much different than the slavery of 1835.
You used the SAME word for both eras. Just thought I would point that out.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:51 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
The Bible "has an answer for everything."

Me too...and like the Bible, I'm usually wrong.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:05 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:

No....as I said, God allowed slavery to happen. He did not endorse it or encourage it.

Leviticus 25:44-46King James Version (KJV)

44 Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.

45 Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.

46 And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.

Sounds to me as if God is endorsing slavery here.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:26 PM

17,791 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Leviticus 25:44-46King James Version (KJV)

44 Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.

45 Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.

46 And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.

Sounds to me as if God is endorsing slavery here.
then you shall take an awl, and put it through his ear into the door, and he shall be your slave forever. And to your female slave you shall do the same. New American Standard Bible. then you shall take an awl and pierce it through his ear into the door, and he shall be your servant forever.
Deuteronomy 15:17 then take an awl and push it through his ...
biblehub.com/deuteronomy/15-17.htm

Jamming people's ears with an awl into the door is a good illustration of how slavery was "different" in biblical days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality