Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's a better Christian?
Hillary 19 51.35%
Trump 18 48.65%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 08:29 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times

Advertisements

Hillary is surely the more observant Christian, although I don't know if that makes her better. Trump doesn't seem to have any religion other than the worship of money, although he paraded around with a Bible in front of Evangelical leaders.

Pence and Kaine are an interesting contrast: both sincere Christian but with different priorities.

I'm reminded of one of our most devout and authentically Christian Presidents, Jimmy Carter. Fundamentalists rejected him as being too liberal, and instead they flocked to Ronald Reagan, who really wasn't much more religious than Trump is. In the end, the candidate's religious faith or practice is not what really motivates Christian voters.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:34 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Hillary is surely the more observant Christian, although I don't know if that makes her better. Trump doesn't seem to have any religion other than the worship of money, although he paraded around with a Bible in front of Evangelical leaders.
Based on what? I've seen nothing from her regarding any kind of religious faith.
Quote:

Pence and Kaine are an interesting contrast: both sincere Christian but with different priorities.
I believe Kaine is a committed Catholic, if I'm not mistaken. Interesting though, that he does not allow his religious faith to influence his policy decisions.
Quote:

I'm reminded of one of our most devout and authentically Christian Presidents, Jimmy Carter. Fundamentalists rejected him as being too liberal, and instead they flocked to Ronald Reagan, who really wasn't much more religious than Trump is. In the end, the candidate's religious faith or practice is not what really motivates Christian voters.
I will agree with you there. Jimmy is certainly a good man. We can argue about him being a Christian or not because he really has kind of gone off the deep end in recent years. But I don't believe Reagan was particularly devout--although he wsa definitely a MUCH better president overall.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:07 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Based on what? I've seen nothing from her regarding any kind of religious faith.
I think the poster is saying Hillary is a tad bit more observant (of her faith) than "Two Corinthians" Trump.

Quote:
I believe Kaine is a committed Catholic, if I'm not mistaken. Interesting though, that he does not allow his religious faith to influence his policy decisions.
He certainly came off that way during the VP debate.

Quote:
I will agree with you there. Jimmy is certainly a good man. We can argue about him being a Christian or not because he really has kind of gone off the deep end in recent years. But I don't believe Reagan was particularly devout--although he wsa definitely a MUCH better president overall.
How so? He and Rosalind have done more humanitarian work in recent years than most of us will do in our entire lives.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:22 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I think the poster is saying Hillary is a tad bit more observant (of her faith) than "Two Corinthians" Trump.
I'll agree that Trump has not shown any indication of being a Christian...but I'm asking genuinely what has anyone seen of Hillary to suggest that she DOES care about Christ? I just haven't seen it. This is not an attack on her--I just see her as non-religious.
Quote:

How so? He and Rosalind have done more humanitarian work in recent years than most of us will do in our entire lives.
Some of the theological points of view that he's posed in recent years lead me to believe that his beliefs are in contrast to the teachings of the Bible.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:27 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Trump is far more honest than Hillary
Quite the opposite.

https://imgur.com/uOU48BM

Old 10-11-2016, 09:33 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Quite the opposite.

https://imgur.com/uOU48BM
While the graph fits my expectations entirely, so emotionally I might not move to question it.......... the painfully honest statistics expert inside me would be concerned as to how the "50 statements" were selected. Given an 8 year time span it would be quite simple to cherry pick the statements that would lead to the results one WANTS to get.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:35 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Don't know, don't care. Irrelevant.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:06 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Personally I think Hillary is a lot closer to the Christian ideal then Trump is.
Do you now?

She used the word "irredeemable". The mentality of Christianity is that, flawed as the followers certainly are, that forgiveness is the reality, and that people can be redeemed.

I don't know what Christian ideal you are talking about, but largely religiously apathetic Trump is closer to that ideal, as he doesn't call random people that.

https://bracingviews.com/2016/09/18/...irredeemables/

Old 10-11-2016, 10:25 AM

19,992 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Depends on what you are looking for. At least before the current election campaign she attended Bible studies regularly with the group behind the National Prayer Breakfast (The Fellowship) and that has been documented in the media. Whether that is to bolster her faith or her bona fides with certain parts of her constituency, is a matter of speculation. That group is arguably in part about access to certain influential circles and persons.

You are probably looking for public professions of faith in and reliance on Jesus in making decisions and the like, and regular attendance at a church that's to your liking, and you are not going to see that from politicians generally and certainly not going forward as that sort of thing is becoming more of a liability than not. There are too many liberal Christians, non-Christians, and non-believers who would have legitimate concerns about how they would be represented by such an overtly sectarian leader.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:28 AM

19,992 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Do you now?

She used the word "irredeemable". The mentality of Christianity is that, flawed as the followers certainly are, that forgiveness is the reality, and that people can be redeemed.

I don't know what Christian ideal you are talking about, but largely religiously apathetic Trump is closer to that ideal, as he doesn't call random people that.

https://bracingviews.com/2016/09/18/...irredeemables/
I would be talking about being a serial liar, xenophobe, racist, sexual predator, bully and preening narcissist as well as a bona fide member of the wealthy monied elites. Hardly values Christians typically claim as their own or embrace in others. Or maybe they DO embrace it in others, it would seem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality