Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2016, 09:15 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,636,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Goldnrule is quite slippery, my old lugworm, and will field all sorts of silly (such as dictionary entries as "Evidence" or irrelevant (such as failing to see the difference between peer reviewed science and popularity poll) arguments. I mean, he will shift from what he presents as unarguably true (aside from the Trumpery favourite - "It's true, whether you admit it or not") to the irrelevant 'It's be an ever stronger worldwide winner, whether it's true or not" And I don't know whether the idea is to fight for Christianity (he sometimes seems to say he doesn't believe it) or just to bash atheism.

I have a theory...... no I cancelled it, but it's do with....no, I cancelled that, too.

I don't have a theory..
Christ must be raised like a snake on a pole

Old 10-31-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I didn't say anything about "truth"
Truth is the Word

Old 10-31-2016, 11:25 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
Christ must be raised up
like a snake on a pole.
the Word is the Truth.
and the scapegoat is fine.
More mumbo-jumbo.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post

I presume you are referring to the archaeological site run by one of the churches in Nazareth.
The site was excavated by Yardenna Alexandre. Her work was published and peer reviewed and is fully credible

(see: http://libantiquities.exlibris.co.il...NGM7G8RX16.pdf ).

Any sign of a working link to Alexandre's "published, peer-reviewed and fully credible" work??

...oh and her academic and professional qualifications please?

Old 10-31-2016, 11:50 PM

and her SS#, if you can please :toofunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
More mumbo-jumbo.
exactly.
"they search the Scriptures for Word? of Me?
when here I AM! right in front of you.!"

Old 11-01-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Funny? Why? Don't you think that people who claim to be professionals should disclose their academic/professional qualifications??

Old 11-01-2016, 05:35 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
The Truth is the Word
I would disagree here.

The words may "ring true", that's true enough. When a person's "words" "rings true" for me I list what they say without adjectives and then list the adjectives used to describe the opposing view. Its why i lost my fear of religion and began to focus on people types. "evolution" supports profiling. It aint pretty, scary even, but its a fact. Fundyz and milliz are dangerous.

The intentions are shown by the actions. Good or bad intentions are exposed when we act. "loving" exposes the truth. "hating" exposes the truth. "love and hate" are just words.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:14 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Point taken Trans, again my apologies as you are totally correct.

Trans I have not even started arguing for faith, in both this thread and the other one I have kept to the historical and archeological evidence. I posted a few links that gave a different view of the evidence, you made a rebuttal to it, so now I have to do more research on the issue. However as I said before I think each author stands or falls on their own and I will be looking more closely at that as well. Give me some time to look more into this and I will get back to you.
I know, as I have said before. That is why I treat your posts with respect, not least because they make me question -and revise if need be - my views. But it is pretty clear to me (if not to you) that you are arguing from a position of Faith in Gospel validity, Christianity or whatever. Just as, can't deny, I am arguing from a position of disbelief. The trick is to set that aside and apply the evidence and reason, and not be afraid to go where it leads. If what you believe is true, it won't suffer from that; it will be stronger in the end.

I hope you could make some more research into the archaeology of Nazareth or the Caesarea inscription, because I simply have more important issues.

Or if you mean to address the posts on the nativty, Judas, the sermon and resurrection, please do.

However I do not want to hear
"Many authorities disagree with you" (1).
"The disciples would not die for a lie"
I won't advise against 'Witnesses don't always agree"or one of the 'negative evidence' bundle, never mind "There are many other things that Jesus did" because I think you are better than that, and I dd for those already.

(1) Apart from the selection of authorities who endorse a particular view, or that authorities might be looking to prove a particular view anyway (2) I know of no authority who has done what I have done, and I may be wrong, but by God, it all fits and works and explains. As I propose to show. When I get done with the Bethany material.

(2) I several times referred to a superb Bible critic on Matthew who showed frankly bias to dishonesty when he tried to explain away the 'two donkeys'.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:18 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Christ must be raised like a snake on a pole
Prophecy? I already dished that. This is an example of starting with the gospel story and finding anything in the OT that even looks like it and claiming that is predictive proof of the gospels. Rubbish, my dear sir, if you were even being as relevant as that.
Quote:
exactly.
"they search the Scriptures for Word? of Me?
when here I AM! right in front of you.!"
Appeals to faith in a thread about Gospel reliability is somewhat less useful than whether Nazareth existed or even what the early church fathers thought about it.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:24 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I know, as I have said before. That is why I treat your posts with respect, not least because they make me question -and revise if need be - my views. But it is pretty clear to me (if not to you) that you are arguing from a position of Faith in Gospel validity, Christianity or whatever. Just as, can't deny, I am arguing from a position of disbelief. The trick is to set that aside and apply the evidence and reason, and not be afraid to go where it leads. If what you believe is true, it won't suffer from that; it will be stronger in the end.

I hope you could make some more research into the archaeology of Nazareth or the Caesarea inscription, because I simply have more important issues.

Or if you mean to address the posts on the nativty, Judas, the sermon and resurrection, please do.

However I do not want to hear
"Many authorities disagree with you" (1).
"The disciples would not die for a lie"
I won't advise against 'Witnesses don't always agree"or one of the 'negative evidence' bundle, never mind "There are many other things that Jesus did" because I think you are better than that, and I dd for those already.

(1) Apart from the selection of authorities who endorse a particular view, or that authorities might be looking to prove a particular view anyway (2) I know of no authority who has done what I have done, and I may be wrong, but by God, it all fits and works and explains. As I propose to show. When I get done with the Bethany material.

(2) I several times referred to a superb Bible critic on Matthew who showed frankly bias to dishonesty when he tried to explain away the 'two donkeys'

While I do have faith Trans my faith is NOT in the bible. I do not believe it is the unadulterated, inerrant word of God. I believe people wrote what they believed to be true but in many instances were incorrect. Therefore it really does not matter to me if the bible is historically accurate or not. However because I am a Christian people just do not believe me when I state that, but if you look at some of my other posts I have argued many times that the bible is NOT the unadulterated, inerrant word of God. The reason I had asked you to start a thread on the gospels was because I wanted to see what is historical and what is not, and I will follow where the evidence leads until or if other evidence comes to light. I think you would have to admit I have done this so far. However in order to get at the truth we must play devils advocate with each other in order for each of us to dig a little deeper, iron sharpening iron as it were. The real only difference between us concerning the gospels Trans is it looks to me like you throw the baby out with the bathwater and I do not. However I think we can both work with that.

I think we are done with Nazareth as the email the IAA sent me proves the work done by Alexandre is correct. However for all we know Nazareth was nothing more then a farming community as the term polis seems to indicate.

Right now I am looking at the census and need to put together some thoughts (which might surprise you a little and you might even agree, however no Fundy will)

While that is what you get when dealing with the Fundy concept of an unadulterated, inerrant word of God believing Christian. I would just say one of them got it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality