Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Trump destroyed Christian conservatism?
Yes 19 30.65%
Maybe 10 16.13%
No 33 53.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:23 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,475,998 times

Advertisements

Here's an excellent article on the puzzler of why evangelicals have suddenly decided to be pragmatic and dogma be damned, in order to support Trump. Choice quotes:
Quote:
New poll: Agree personally immoral politicians can still fulfill duties.
White evangelicals:
2011: 30%
Now: 72%
PRRI
Quote:
... Michael Gerson, another deeply devout Christian who as speechwriter for President George W. Bush promoted the Iraq war and defended the administration’s use of torture, wrote in a recent Washington Post column that “Trump’s deep support among evangelical Christians is the hardest for me to account for. I wonder how Trump evangelicals explain to their sons and daughters that this man is a suitable leader for a great country.”

We can all agree that after witnessing white evangelical Christians vote so resoundingly for Donald Trump, we never again need to take seriously any claims they have against a Democratic politician for being an insufficiently upstanding, God-fearing role model for children. They can never do that again. This is a good thing, for all parties.
Quote:
All [Trump] has to do is greenlight whichever name conservatives point to [for SCOTUS appointments]. Greenlighting a name is one of the few aspects of the presidency Trump is qualified to perform, and it’s the one act that social conservatives need in order to preserve their viability as a national political force. Even if Trump can't totally be trusted to point at social conservatives' preferred name, they can trust him more than they can Hillary Clinton.
In other words, hanging onto political power is something evangelicals will sell their soul, and the soul of conservative Christianity, for.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:50 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
I think if you peel the veneer off most Trump supporters you'll find they just don't to follow up a coloured boy as President with a female.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:43 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Here's an excellent article on the puzzler of why evangelicals have suddenly decided to be pragmatic and dogma be damned, in order to support Trump. Choice quotes:

In other words, hanging onto political power is something evangelicals will sell their soul, and the soul of conservative Christianity, for.
In the fundamentalist world I grew up in, it was all about overturning Roe V. Wade and ending abortion. So it was always about the Supreme Court. Now with the legalization of gay marriage, they've lost that issue too, thanks to the Evil Supreme Court. So it's not surprising (to me) that the makeup of the Supreme Court is the number one issue to them, and that they'd be willing to sell their soul to the devil to get "control" of it.

I think, deep down, many evangelicals realize that this is the end of the line for their movement. They're desperate, as the article indicates, and will do anything to hold onto power. If Trump loses, and "Evil Hillary" (a strong pro-choice woman, who supports same-sex marriage!) wins, quite a few might even question their faith altogether, wondering how God could let this happen in God's Chosen Nation.

I'm glad to finally be free of all of that insanity.

Last edited by Freak80; 10-20-2016 at 10:52 AM..

Old 10-20-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think if you peel the veneer off most Trump supporters you'll find they just don't want to follow up a coloured boy as President with a female.
Obama's race is the only reason I can think of to explain the level of denial, fear, loathing and vitriol that he has been showered with since day one of his presidency.

His complete failure to take the bait has been both his strength and his weakness. On the one hand, "when they go low, we go high" is ennobling, but his almost preternatural coolness and methodical nature comes off as cold indifference, and he has lacked for some of the needed relationship building skills as a result. He's at least equal measure of law professor and politician.

But yes, a liberal woman with an unconventional marriage arrangement will doubtless make the same people's heads explode, with similar results. My hope is that she's better at relationship building even in a hostile environment.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
In the fundamentalist world I grew up in, it was all about overturning Roe V. Wade and ending abortion. So it was always about the Supreme Court. Now with the legalization of gay marriage, they've lost that issue too, thanks to the Evil Supreme Court. So it's not surprising (to me) that the makeup of the Supreme Court is the number one issue to them, and that they'd be willing to sell their soul to the devil to get "control" of it.

I think, deep down, many evangelicals realize that this is the end of the line for their movement. They're desperate, as the article indicates, and will do anything to hold onto power. If Trump loses, and "Evil Hillary" (a strong pro-choice woman, who supports same-sex marriage!) wins, quite a few might even question their faith altogether, wondering how God could let this happen in God's Chosen Nation.

I'm glad to finally be free of all of that insanity.
I don't disagree.

Ironically the odds of overturning Roe v Wade or anything else they find loathsome would be a long shot even with a president making nominations to the Court that they approve of. Society has moved way beyond them more than they know, for one thing; for another, pet justices have an established pattern of disappointing their masters. Justices have to think and ponder facts of cases, and they are appointed for life. That's a bad combination for any president who thinks they might be stacking the deck in their ideological favor.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:44 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
'The government' won't be backing anyone's side, it will be the people against the government, Repub and Dem alike, dragging the whole lot of them out...
Who is in power in the government? I hardly think that Republicans would be in revolution against a Republican controlled Federal government, nor the Democrats vs Democrats if they had control of Washington.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:46 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think if you peel the veneer off most Trump supporters you'll find they just don't to follow up a coloured boy as President with a female.
I believe you are far more correct than you know. And they will go to their fairy tale heaven denying they are racist and that losing the white in the white house was devastating psychologically.

I think their reaction Trump shows their true colors. And notice how quickly they peeled off the conservative candidates and left Trump to be their candidate. Remember when people were criticizing people as "worshiping" Obama?

Old 10-20-2016, 11:46 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
. Justices have to think and ponder facts of cases, and they are appointed for life. That's a bad combination for any president who thinks they might be stacking the deck in their ideological favor.
Quite true. President Eisenhower had a different idea about what he was getting when he appointed Earl Warren as chief justice

Old 10-20-2016, 05:16 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I hardly think that Republicans would be in revolution against a Republican controlled Federal government, nor the Democrats vs Democrats if they had control of Washington.
Whoosh, right over your head.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:36 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
It doesn't matter at this point.
Hillary will win. I think around 55 million on paid work leave.

and trump is a baafoon.

I am still voting for him, but he is truly a baafoon cartoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality