Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 08:16 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Thanks -- looks interesting but not kosher.
Wanted to update you on this. The place (Nish Nush) IS kosher, but for some reason it doesn't say on their website. It shows up as kosher on Yelp or one of those types of sites, so I called and they said, yes, they are kosher. I have an Orthodox coworker with whom I have to go to the city occasionally for meetings, so I was looking for a place downtown where we could have lunch next time.

So far we went to a kosher pizza place in the lobby of a building on 59th street that she already knew about (really good, too) and a place on 57th near 6th called The Great American Health Bar for breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 09:45 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,996,947 times
Tent?
Aren't they something to do with Universalism?

Christian Universalism, not UUA, universalist apologetics, victorious gospel, Hell's defeat, ultimate reconciliation

Universalist -none of us are going to Hell, we are all going to Heaven.
I hope they are right on that one.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:17 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,637,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wanted to update you on this. The place (Nish Nush) IS kosher, but for some reason it doesn't say on their website. It shows up as kosher on Yelp or one of those types of sites, so I called and they said, yes, they are kosher. I have an Orthodox coworker with whom I have to go to the city occasionally for meetings, so I was looking for a place downtown where we could have lunch next time.

So far we went to a kosher pizza place in the lobby of a building on 59th street that she already knew about (really good, too) and a place on 57th near 6th called The Great American Health Bar for breakfast.
i am a Gentile; and i have witnessed how my older Jewish friends look at me. Give me Halal over Kosher any day.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:30 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Tent?
Aren't they something to do with Universalism?

Christian Universalism, not UUA, universalist apologetics, victorious gospel, Hell's defeat, ultimate reconciliation

Universalist -none of us are going to Hell, we are all going to Heaven.
I hope they are right on that one.
This thread was about Sukkot, a Jewish festival.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:10 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
It looks like a bamboo mat.

People in the deli were probably like, "what's with this giant goyishe woman examining our Sukkah."

Oh, and only in America can a Christian woman walk down a street full of Chasidim and be stopped by a Sikh asking her if she's interested in having her horoscope charted. I laughed and said no, then went to the Yemenite Jewish kosher store to get lunch and got in line behind a Bengali Muslim woman.

I am not making any of this up. This is Brooklyn.
Great post!

I put some lights up and a Sukkah one year and yeah, ''That dude is nuts.''

Kinda went depressed for a few years, stopped saying Merry Christmas, and now I am like,'' Yeah, Merry Christmas.''

Just aren't a lot of folks into building sukkahs in Texas lol, might get cut.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:28 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:

Please, if you have an Orthodox co-worker, don't take him/her to Nish Nush. They might say they are kosher, but if you look at their hours, they are open on the Sabbath. A restaurant open on the sabbath will be hard pressed to find reputable certification that would make your co-worker comfortable.

The issues are complex Kosher and Open on Shabbos ~ Hirhurim - Musings

halacha - What forbids eating in a Jewish-owned restaurant open on shabbat? - Mi Yodeya

Restaurant kosher, but open on Shabbos | Imamother

The issues are complex -- unless you have the name of the supervising rabbi (absent on the menu and website so I assume they supervise themselves, another no-no) don't take an Orthodox Jew there.

The Great American Health Bar was, for a long time, not accepted by many in the Orthodox community. They changed their supervision, though, and are fine.

Great American Health Bar Switches To OK Supervision - GREAT KOSHER RESTAURANTS

Old 11-20-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Please, if you have an Orthodox co-worker, don't take him/her to Nish Nush. They might say they are kosher, but if you look at their hours, they are open on the Sabbath. A restaurant open on the sabbath will be hard pressed to find reputable certification that would make your co-worker comfortable.

The issues are complex Kosher and Open on Shabbos ~ Hirhurim - Musings

halacha - What forbids eating in a Jewish-owned restaurant open on shabbat? - Mi Yodeya

Restaurant kosher, but open on Shabbos | Imamother

The issues are complex -- unless you have the name of the supervising rabbi (absent on the menu and website so I assume they supervise themselves, another no-no) don't take an Orthodox Jew there.

The Great American Health Bar was, for a long time, not accepted by many in the Orthodox community. They changed their supervision, though, and are fine.

Great American Health Bar Switches To OK Supervision - GREAT KOSHER RESTAURANTS
you might seek products from this guy

Rabbi Shea Hecht

and then possibly contemplate Halal, from the un-hand-washers, those who seem to follow the Bible more closely than either of us do.

just sayin.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:26 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
you might seek products from this guy

Rabbi Shea Hecht

and then possibly contemplate Halal, from the un-hand-washers, those who seem to follow the Bible more closely than either of us do.

just sayin.
Rabbi Hecht and Chabad do fine work. I don't know what products you have in mind or how they relate to the laws of kosher supervision as it applies to restaurants open on the sabbath.

I'll pass on halal. I'm an Orthodox Jewish rabbi and am happy as one.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:51 AM

22,171 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Don't rely on a business or a review "saying" they are kosher. Anyone can say anything. Ask over the phone who certified it as kosher and the date on the letter. When you are there ask to see the certification. Every single time you go in. Because It can change and a certification can be lost or withdrawn. Best bet is to ask someone in the area a local orthodox Jew of they trust eating there. If something is doubtful or if someone wants to take me out in a radius where there are no reliable kosher eateries, then we go to a grocery and I get kosher items and we find a nice table or bench to sit and eat.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Rabbi Hecht and Chabad do fine work.
except when they don't, yes. with all due respect

https://www.google.com/#q=rabbi+shea...t+plant+crimes

but i'm sure they have cleaned that up now, too don't get me wrong there.
Quote:
I don't know what products you have in mind or how they relate to the laws of kosher supervision as it applies to restaurants open on the sabbath.

I'll pass on halal. I'm an Orthodox Jewish rabbi and am happy as one.
"kosher supervision as it applies to restaurants open on the sabbath" sounds like an oxymoron to me--as i bet it does to you, too--so, more worshipping of Mammon, and i bet they love Hecht, too. wadr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality