Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 05:57 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Good grief. "imperialistic country" lol.

Yes--they left the old country because they wanted freedom. That's why the Constitution limits government's involvement in the lives of the citizens. I'm sorry, but I just don't see that the native Americans had 3 branches of government, a series of checks and balances, etc. I will agree with you, though, that they never intended for our country to have a huge federal government as it does now.
what would you say if a country came here, murdered MILLIONS of Americans then made the survivors adopt the culture of the invaders and called this country by a new name?

Would the invading country not be IMPERIALISTIC??

im·pe·ri·al·ism
imˈpirēəˌlizəm/
noun
a policy of extending a country's power and influence through diplomacy or military force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 08:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Didn't realize he was still posting around here.
It's my opinion that only cowards put people on ignore.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
Hey TD, is there a Connie in there? couldn't find it? ty
I have no idea what you mean.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:49 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's my opinion that only cowards put people on ignore.
TroutDude, I disagree with you on that. The few people other than one that are on my ignore list are there because I have determined that their sole reason for posting is to annoy people and life is too short to be wasted on their words when I have no idea if they even believe any of what they right. The one exception is for someone that I simply make it harder for myself to respond to his posts. I think that one of the five that I have on ignore is a non theist and my very first one to make the list was advocating running over cyclists and having a good lawyer to get off with doing that. It is not cowardly to avoid those who's goals is to annoy and not to actually have a discussion.

Back to the topic, my wife was raised as a wedding and funeral Christian but the family always had a Christmas tree so any Christmas that we stay home and have people over, especially her family, we go out and buy a tree and decorate it and both of us are atheists. And yes I took Christmas and Boxing Day off from work and there were Christmas decorations put up but it is all for tradition rather than for religion. On the flip side of that on this forum there was a thread about the parents in a Florida school being upset because the holidays of other religions were marked on the school calendar.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
TroutDude, I disagree with you on that. The few people other than one that are on my ignore list are there because I have determined that their sole reason for posting is to annoy people and life is too short to be wasted on their words ...snip....
Okay. I accept that and will revise it to: Some people put others on ignore because they're cowards.

And we all know who one of them is.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:54 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
what would you say if a country came here, murdered MILLIONS of Americans then made the survivors adopt the culture of the invaders and called this country by a new name?

Would the invading country not be IMPERIALISTIC??

im·pe·ri·al·ism
imˈpirēəˌlizəm/
noun
a policy of extending a country's power and influence through diplomacy or military force.
OK...gotcha. Yes--the Native Americans in this country were treated badly. I don't deny that. I will say, though, that it wasn't "America" invading anyone. It was settlers from Europe--from many different countries. They really didn't become "America" until there were already a lot of people here.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:03 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
OK...gotcha. Yes--the Native Americans in this country were treated badly. I don't deny that. I will say, though, that it wasn't "America" invading anyone. It was settlers from Europe--from many different countries. They really didn't become "America" until there were already a lot of people here.
I did not have sexual relations with that woman..kind of splitting hairs huh?

Yet genocide continued on through the 1890s????? Carried out by the US army????

Old 11-09-2016, 01:08 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I did not have sexual relations with that woman..kind of splitting hairs huh?

Yet genocide continued in through the 1890s????? Carried out by the US army????
We're talking 2 different things. Yes--our ancestors did horrible things to the Native Americans. I agree. But our country did not invade this nation. People from Europe did. England did. Spain did. France did.

By 1890 our country's borders were pretty much set. While it's definitely morally wrong to do what they did to the Native Americans, it's hardly "imperialistic".

I'm curious though....do you believe the Native Americans didn't take this land from someone else?

Old 11-09-2016, 03:10 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
We're talking 2 different things. Yes--our ancestors did horrible things to the Native Americans. I agree. But our country did not invade this nation. People from Europe did. England did. Spain did. France did.

By 1890 our country's borders were pretty much set. While it's definitely morally wrong to do what they did to the Native Americans, it's hardly "imperialistic".

I'm curious though....do you believe the Native Americans didn't take this land from someone else?
So no one but Europeans went and grabbed land in what is now the USA between 1776 and the 13 colonies and the 1890s? Even if you bought it off other countries those countries may never had set foot in the area at all. If that was not the case why did Jefferson send Lewis and Clark off into uncharted territories looking for a means to get to the Pacific? There was still natives who had never seen Europeans or Americans even after that journey. Some thought the Battle of Little Big Horn was a campaign for politics. Seems like you try so hard too often to whitewash both Christian and American histories and actions.

As a Canadian I think we did much wrong in the exploration and settling of our West but I do not blame the English or the French or the Hudson's Bay Company or Lord Selkirk but put all that blame where it belongs, on us as a nation even though much of it happened prior to us becoming a nation in 1867.

Some of your posts read like you think that anything good done by who you support you will give credit to yourselves but anything negative done by the same people is not anything to do with you or your country. The Indian Wars, Wounded Knee, the Trail of Tears, The treatment of Chief Joseph were all done by Americans. And we hanged Louis Riel. Take responsibly for the wrong doings just like you are willing to take credit where credit is due. In the Medieval period Muslims treated Jews much better than Christians did, that is historical facts, since the establishment of the State of Israel the opposite is true. Sides are not all pure good and pure evil.

And that is not even talking about the efforts of Fremont in forcing out the Spanish in California or the trickery in making Hawaii part of your country. The history of the native people had land changing frequently especially as alliances shifted. The French or the English were not the original inhabitants of those countries, does that make you feel that it would be alright to invade and take their land away from them?

Old 11-09-2016, 05:18 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,637,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I have no idea what you mean.
ah, i was thinking the Iroquois Constitution was in there; but i found it, ty.

http://www.constitution.org/cons/iroquois.htm

it's actually pretty short and sweet, talks about planting a "tree," hmm.
Not sure i grabbed the one the...idea person had in mind there, don't see any resemblance to ours...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality