Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 10:17 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”

Oscar Wilde.

People tend to get caught up in the grind & don't take the time to step away from it. Your life is your OWN
Whatever my beliefs are they are apart of that my in the end it's MY life. I make of it what I want.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
IMO, ones choices determines ones outcomes. Sure, there are those circumstances beyond our control, but generally, our lives are our making. Now, ones beliefs do guide ones choices.

An example I like to use is ones personal finances. It does not matter how much you tithe or pray, if one does not implement good money management skills, you will not prosper. Just another beef I have with destructive religious teachings.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:41 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
IMO, ones choices determines ones outcomes. Sure, there are those circumstances beyond our control, but generally, our lives are our making.
Except that everyone, most particularly the young, must overcome ignorance, inexperience, faulty operant conditioning and social pressure to have desirable outcomes or for that matter to even correctly understand what IS desirable.

I watched the movie Indignation last night and really related to the protagonist who, like me, entered adult life with all sorts of advantages and is just trying to apply himself to school and maintain his personal integrity but a combination of "things beyond his control" and stupid personal choices that he pretty much couldn't help but make due to inexperience and naïveté, ended up destroying his life. This happens to people all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Now, ones beliefs do guide ones choices.
Indeed. It's just that sometimes they misguide one's choices.

One is most certainly not "screwed no matter what", at least not as an initial / default state, but one cannot guarantee success with right choices either, much less with the imperfect and misbegotten choices that actual humans typically make.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
What kind of work...spiritual? Physical? Because I think I've worked harder than most on those with little in return.
When you stop desiring then things will call into place...

Old 11-17-2016, 05:21 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
When you stop desiring then things will call into place...
They might fall into place, too.

There is actually merit in this particular paradoxical observation but not because there is some sort of mysterious magical effect in play. It's just that caring too hard and trying too much is a reflection of trying to make life be something that it's not, which is an orderly and consistently responsive progression of events along a predictale story line that's coherent and beneficial to you personally. As a result you have to flex and adapt, and clinging to rigid perceptual and conceptual frameworks and expectations is exactly what will prevent you from flexing and adapting.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:31 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
They might fall into place, too.

There is actually merit in this particular paradoxical observation but not because there is some sort of mysterious magical effect in play. It's just that caring too hard and trying too much is a reflection of trying to make life be something that it's not, which is an orderly and consistently responsive progression of events along a predictale story line that's coherent and beneficial to you personally. As a result you have to flex and adapt, and clinging to rigid perceptual and conceptual frameworks and expectations is exactly what will prevent you from flexing and adapting.
Lol...Auto correct...Yea...Fall...

Old 11-17-2016, 01:28 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,636,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The best religious spiritual belief is the religion with the Baptism of the Holy Spirit , which people are under the wing of God , and through the prayers with the authority of the believer life comes with ease through Christ.........Anything less than that comes with a hard life
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
26Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.
27But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.
28There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.

Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?'
<

Old 11-17-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
and for those who did the baptism Holy Spirit show and still have a hard life??
Quote:
Why, they're doing it wrong, of course.

Or, they aren't as good at keeping up appearances ;-)

you just have to try harder, that's all. almost surely, prolly

Old 11-17-2016, 01:31 PM

>
Quote:
and for those who did the baptism holy spirit show and still have a hard life??
Quote:
11 when i was an infant at my mother's breast, i gurgled and cooed like any infant. When i grew up, i left those infant ways for good.
<

Old 11-17-2016, 04:20 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The best religious spiritual belief is the religion with the Baptism of the Holy Spirit , which people are under the wing of God , and through the prayers with the authority of the believer life comes with ease through Christ.........Anything less than that comes with a hard life
Quote:
and for those who did the baptism Holy Spirit show and still have a hard life??
Quote:
Why, they're doing it wrong, of course.

Or, they aren't as good at keeping up appearances ;-)
Quote:

you just have to try harder, that's all. almost surely, prolly
Then there are the real evangelicals--

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality