Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 05:50 AM

131 posts, read 312,299 times

Advertisements

Well i thought Id throw this one in after seeing the other thread 'Atheists, do they really exist?'

SO...Theists, do they really exist?

I think in every religious persons mind there must be some doubt seen as though very few (if any- im not sure) religious people live a 'perfect life' acording to thier beliefs. Surely if you Totally believe in god and heaven/hell etc you would live a 'perfect life' no matter what. Because if I believed I would either go on to live FOREVER in heaven or hell I would see my time on earth as a very short 'task/test' and would abide by the 'rules' to the very letter. Most religious people dont though, they spend time enjoying thier life not worshiping etc. So how can you totally believe. If you did, wouldnt you not care about enjoying this life and be totally set on 'getting into heaven'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:15 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,297,374 times
I don't think so, becasue the christian god says to give everything up and live a life for him, meanwhile I don't see them out on the streets. Thus, I don't think they believe, but merely act like they believe.

If there was no 'reward' for believing, i'd say 99% of them wouldn't believe. If this omnipotent god is as powerful as they claim, he'd know that they only believe in him for the reward, not because they actually believe. Sorta like hanging out with a friend you don't like purely because you like using their stuff like TV, car, house, popularity, etc. and once they figure out they aren't flattered but feel used.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:48 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,232,947 times
I had to laugh at this one. If it is absolute belief in the whole religion, then yes there are a few but they tend to be put away in prisons or mental health institutions as dangerous sociopaths or end up as suicidal nut jobs who go to meet their maker like the Jim Jones group. But there is all kinds of elastic reasoning (as evidence on this board) for how they truly believe in all the bible as it is written but it doesn't really mean what it says but it was written accurately as inspired directly by god but that's not what god really meant ... and on and on. These are theists but like any atheist, they are rational enough to know they can't go around stoning to death any adulterer or apostate they meet and adhere to the other proscriptions like love thy neighbor and judge not lest ye be judged.

What you can't get these fundamentalists to admit is that they do not really believe every word of the bible but pick and choose among it to form their theology. Other less literal theists are just as sincere in their theology but see that the bible is not literal. They are more honest in their belief structure.

In the few years before 1000 AD, there were large groups of fanatics who were certain that the Apocalypse was coming at 1000 AD (never mind all the inaccuracies of the calendar at that time) and gave away all their possessions and wandered the countryside living exactly as the Jesus of the bible demanded so that they could be among the saved. There were so many, it became a huge social problem. Fields were left fallow and food supplies dropped dangerously because people abandoned their secular concerns, beggars were everywhere, You couldn't find a smith to shoe your horses because they were out begging and living as Jesus said. The Church had to try to get these nuts to stop believing the end was near and deny it was imminent in an effort to get them back to work. It was truly a mass delusion in a very ignorant population that had been feed the brain washing of the bible their whole lives.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:48 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,267,732 times
Good post Racket. I tend to agree that most, if not all religious people suspect somewhere in the back of their mind that their beliefs are not true. I remember last year reading some articles about how Mother Teresa had her doubts. If someone like her who did live her life serving God had doubts then every other religious person must also. I think that theist choose to believe in God or gods despite the evidence to the contrary and what they know must actually be true. I read somewhere that the definition of faith is "believing in something that you know is not true". I think that is a good definition and that there are no real theist.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:10 AM

245 posts, read 624,373 times
I believe that most christians at times have doubts, thinking ones anyway. however it is probaly less comman in a great many nonchristian beliefs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality