Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 05:41 PM

17,702 posts, read 13,565,089 times

Advertisements

When it comes to Grace at Thanksgiving................

I always think of Jimmy Stewart playing Charlie Anderson in the movie Shenandoah.

Quote:
Lord, we cleared this land. We plowed it, sowed it, and harvest it. We cook the harvest. It wouldn't be here and we wouldn't be eating it if we hadn't done it all ourselves. We worked dog-bone hard for every crumb and morsel, but we thank you Lord just the same for the food we're about to eat, amen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzzyZ1M-kVU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 09:25 PM

5 posts, read 6,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
I don't come from a particularly religious family so my family doesn't say grace before meals. However, whenever I prepare Thanksgiving dinner, which I did this year, I say grace. My problem is that I can not seem to get through it without tears.

I only cry when I say the grace and not when I hear it from others. No matter how hard I try and I even practice alone beforehand to try to get my emotions in check but without success. The obvious answer would be to let someone else say it, but I want to be able to do it without tears. Does this happen to anyone else and have you been able to overcome the tears and if so, how?
It just feels more real when you say it yourself. Are you emotional when you pray outloud? It could be the level of intimacy over-whelms you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality