Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 03:27 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

Only church destroyed on 9/11 raises cross atop new building | New York Post

It seems that a lot of people missed that a Greek Orthodox Church was buried by the debris of Two WTC on 9/11. It was totally destroyed. They recovered very little.

A long lawsuits later, the construction started a couple of years ago, and the much bigger, multi-million-dollar building has been taking shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 04:55 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Interesting. I did not know that.

Good to see they recovered.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Interesting. I did not know that.

Good to see they recovered.
You want a hat and robe like that. I know you do.

I was watching them build the base of it outside my office window before I retired earlier this year. The Vehicle Security Center for the World Trade Center complex is underground in that area, with a portion of that facility above ground. An elevated park sits on top of the VSC, and St. Nicholas Church is within that elevated park. It will be a much larger facility than the one they had before, which was an old, four-story building that had once been a tavern.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:32 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You want a hat and robe like that. I know you do.
I kissed an icon and I liked it.

(not really, but I did attend a few Eastern Orthodox services during my "desperately try to keep the faith" phase)

Old 11-30-2016, 08:25 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Thanks for the article. I was aware of Trinity Chapel being damaged (for example their historic pipe organ choked on the dust, and was supplanted by a digital replacement; I've often wondered how many millions in damage were done all over that area by the pervasive grit). But I had not heard of this church.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Thanks for the article. I was aware of Trinity Chapel being damaged (for example their historic pipe organ choked on the dust, and was supplanted by a digital replacement; I've often wondered how many millions in damage were done all over that area by the pervasive grit). But I had not heard of this church.
Yes, the pipe organ, that was very sad.

Not to be picky, but yeah, to be picky. That is Trinity Church, the neo-Gothic structure at the foot of Wall Street, several blocks from the WTC that got the dust sucked into its pipes. There was a rehearsal going on that day and the organ was on and the pipes open, and once everything started happening, no one thought to close them.

St. Paul's Chapel, which is part of Trinity Church, is the oldest public building still in use in Manhattan, celebrating its 250th anniversary this year. St. Paul's is directly across Church Street from the WTC. Amazingly, it sustained very little damage on 9/11, although trees in its churchyard were damaged. St. Paul's was on the side of the WTC complex away from the towers, so while it got dust and debris, it did not get smashed by thousands of tons of building falling on it as St. Nicholas Church did. It was used as a feeding/sleeping/staging area for people working on the pile in the early days, and it is now a museum/memorial of sorts of those days.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak80 View Post
i kissed an icon and i liked it.

(not really, but i did attend a few eastern orthodox services during my "desperately try to keep the faith" phase)

I've only been to one Greek Orthodox service, the funeral of my boss who died of a heart attack about five or six years ago.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:

I've only been to one Greek Orthodox service, the funeral of my boss who died of a heart attack about five or six years ago.
I've been to many and was baptized and confirmed in one - an Eastern Rite Ukrainian Catholic Church - pretty much the same deal as Greek Orthodox.

Lots of chanting, heavy robes, dense incense and gold leaf everywhere.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I've been to many and was baptized and confirmed in one - an Eastern Rite Ukrainian Catholic Church - pretty much the same deal as Greek Orthodox.

Lots of chanting, heavy robes, dense incense and gold leaf everywhere.
I used to work with a Ukrainian Eastern Rite Catholic. I once mistakenly referred to him as Russian Orthodox, and he cheerfully but firmly corrected me. His parents had fled the Soviet Union when he was eight years old.

But they are very similar.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:11 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Yes, the pipe organ, that was very sad.

Not to be picky, but yeah, to be picky. That is Trinity Church, the neo-Gothic structure at the foot of Wall Street, several blocks from the WTC that got the dust sucked into its pipes. There was a rehearsal going on that day and the organ was on and the pipes open, and once everything started happening, no one thought to close them.

St. Paul's Chapel, which is part of Trinity Church, is the oldest public building still in use in Manhattan, celebrating its 250th anniversary this year. St. Paul's is directly across Church Street from the WTC. Amazingly, it sustained very little damage on 9/11, although trees in its churchyard were damaged. St. Paul's was on the side of the WTC complex away from the towers, so while it got dust and debris, it did not get smashed by thousands of tons of building falling on it as St. Nicholas Church did. It was used as a feeding/sleeping/staging area for people working on the pile in the early days, and it is now a museum/memorial of sorts of those days.
Thanks for the correction.

I wondered why the organ's blower happened to be running at the time of the attack. How unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality