Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 02:44 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,249,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
True. NO ONE's beliefs are unquestionable or beyond dispute.
Quote:
You are misguided.
Does your hypocrisy bother you at all? Serious question.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:52 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,700,115 times
Quote:
True. NO ONE's beliefs are unquestionable or beyond dispute. That is the point of this thread. Vizio and those who pretend that the Bible is the word of God THINK that makes their beliefs unquestionable and beyond dispute. They treat the Bible AS IF it is God and infallible. THAT is idolatry.
It is. I can picture it now, hard-core bible-ists standing at the Pearly Gates with bibles in hand to show that they have God with them.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:00 PM

27,995 posts, read 29,823,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That sounds rather hard-line judgmental of you. What does that say about you?
What? What on earth would make you say that? I mentioned no names and I mentioned no specific denominations or even general classifications of Christians. I merely made an observation regarding the tendency of some people on this forum to be very judgmental of others. Are you telling me that there are no judgmental people here? If you disagree with what I said about judgmental people, then debate that point. Don't automatically assume I was calling you out.

I stand by my original statement that people who are the most confident in their beliefs are generally not as condemning of others as those who feel they have something to prove. It seems to me that some people's self-esteem rides almost solely on how well they see themselves as being able to "win the debate." They absolutely have to be undercutting other people's beliefs in order to feel confident that their own beliefs are valid.

Last edited by Katzpur; 12-09-2016 at 03:13 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 03:01 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,349,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post

Telling someone they are misguided about thinking they have a book that is the one and only true source of knowledge straight from God AND also saying that no one's beliefs are beyond question, is not hypocritical.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:04 PM

63,565 posts, read 39,855,129 times
Quote:
True. NO ONE's beliefs are unquestionable or beyond dispute. That is the point of this thread. Vizio and those who pretend that the Bible is the word of God THINK that makes their beliefs unquestionable and beyond dispute. They treat the Bible AS IF it is God and infallible. THAT is idolatry.
Quote:
Did you even read the bold???? You act like Vizio and either ignore what refutes your views or just make knee-jerk responses in defense of your unwarranted certainty.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:08 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,139,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That sounds rather hard-line judgmental of you. What does that say about you?

My response to that is simply to question why we think we know what we know? And what is our source of knowledge? Are all sources equal?
POINT PROVEN with the second response......

Old 12-09-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
So what did God say about this ? .................Well in Matthew 13 :24 -30 ......Jesus said ..`` The kingdom of Heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field , but while men slept , His enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way ..... But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop , then the tares also appeared .... So the servant of the owner came and said to him ..`Sir , did you not sow good seed in your field ? How then does it have tares? ... He said to them ..`An enemy has done this ...``...The servant said to him ..``Do you want us then to go and gather them up?``... But he said .``No , lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them ...Let both grow together until the harvest , and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers .``First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them , but gather the wheat into my barn ``.....................See Jesus said let the people alone If people do not listen or then come and produce false religion , pay no mind.... Jesus will deal with it on His time
GOD said to LOVE your NEIGHBOR...

Old 12-09-2016, 04:09 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,249,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

Telling someone they are misguided about thinking they have a book that is the one and only true source of knowledge straight from God AND also saying that no one's beliefs are beyond question, is not hypocritical.
Claiming all beliefs are questionable, and then telling someone else their belief is wrong is called hypocrisy.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Old 12-09-2016, 04:34 PM

63,565 posts, read 39,855,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

Amen!
Quote:
Claiming all beliefs are questionable, and then telling someone else their belief is wrong is called hypocrisy.
No it isn't. It is expressing an opinion. Only those who actually THINK their beliefs are unquestionable and beyond dispute can be hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.