Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 03:27 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

The god in the bible is not real. Its as real as 'lack belief in anything".

viable evidence:

Is rejection of ideas like oppression, slavery, and abuse even if they kill you for that rejection a bad thing?

that's what jesus taught. And its true even though he didn't rise up from the dead. Its still true regardless of who claims he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 05:23 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueQueuedQuarks View Post

Now you're getting somewhere
You didn't have to tell me you thought like that...it was obvious.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
What he is asking gld, is do you think we should "hail" this universe past regular 'awe" at whats going on around us?

he twisted up a bit because he is so scared by the inability to blame his parents and himself for how stoop without the I.D., but that's basically what he is asking.
I do have a reverence for it...but that's just me.
Others can feel in whatever way they do...not that it changes the apt assignment of the "God" title, regardless.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:36 PM

1,333 posts, read 882,650 times
Quote:
Withholding valid science interpretations because he feels it will make his job harder to convert people to atheism is, well, you fill in the blank.
Oh boy, the jokers are back.

Here we have the definition of atheism:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheism
Quote:
a disbelief in the existence of deity
Since I recall at the very least gldn having been very straightforward in denying the existence of deity, and I believe you have as well, then you are by definition atheist.

As you say, withholding valid science interpretations because you feel it will make your job harder is, well... You fill in the blank.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueQueuedQuarks View Post
That's fine.
You can call a lamp a penis for all that it matters.

However, to then go to the police and say "BQQ is walking down the street rubbing his penis" is (funny if you're in 3rd grade) intellectually dishonest - as is saying "I think nature is god. Nature exists. So atheism is bunk".
Another bogus analogy.
A "lamp" is not ever defined as or called a "penis"...or visa-versa.
Completely unlike "ALL" as "GOD".
I learn more about you with every post...now you have "penis" on your mind. Telling.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I do have a reverence for it...but that's just me.
Others can feel in whatever way they do...not that it changes the apt assignment of the "God" title, regardless.
reverence is ok if not taken to far. I am in more of "awe".

The basic concern I have is praising god (the universe) as "better' or teaching young people that the universe will damn them to all hell.

But you are correct, me being against the stupidity of that type of teaching will not warp my description of how the universe works.

Yeah, the only reason I can see, is that these guys are just afraid of the word god and are not honest about what they are doing. Mord will not talk about valid science that points to the very real possibility of emergence. or that little non living pieces of the universe interact in such away that it is more probable that it is life than not life. In fact, its a more valid claim; then to think we are not part of a larger more complex system.

All Because he is afraid it makes his job harder to convert people to his religion. There are only a limited number of reasons a person's personality type would do that. 'fundy" is the first word that pops up.

I say let people decide for themselves given the facts as best we know them. He (and others) think he knows his emotional state well enough to decide for us. He aint even close, That's scary.

How can people think that personal meaning is ok to push on other people as facts over how the universe works?

Old 12-19-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post

Since I recall at the very least gldn having been very straightforward in denying the existence of deity, and I believe you have as well, then you are by definition atheist.

As you say, withholding valid science interpretations because you feel it will make your job harder is, well... You fill in the blank.
Atheism means (from Dictionary.com):
atheism Translate Button
[ey-thee-iz-uh m]
noun
1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.

That makes a bit more sense to me than the "lack of belief" claim of what I call "Wimp Atheism".
At least it kinda takes a stand.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post

yeah, the definition. Right, I fit the definition. I make no decisions based on their god. it aint real.

yes, I am an atheists. That has nothing to do with describing how the universe works. my personal meaning is not what decides how the universe works.

How do you feel about withholding the very valid conclusion that little non living pieces of the universe interact in such a way that our region of space is better describe as alive then not alive?

Compare the interactions of things we call non living, living things, land those that fit both to the interactions of the planets surface from the moon?

"measuring" is comparing what we think we know to what we are trying to know. Science. then we need others to make the same measurement.

what do you think? or how would you change the measuring device to support a different claim?

Old 12-19-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
reverence is ok if not taken to far. I am in more of "awe".

The basic concern I have is praising god (the universe) as "better' or teaching young people that the universe will damn them to all hell.

But you are correct, me being against the stupidity of that type of teaching will not warp my description of how the universe works.

Yeah, the only reason I can see, is that these guys are just afraid of the word god and are not honest about what they are doing. Mord will not talk about valid science that points to the very real possibility of emergence. or that little non living pieces of the universe interact in such away that it is more probable that it is life than not life. In fact, its a more valid claim; then to think we are not part of a larger more complex system.

All Because he is afraid it makes his job harder to convert people to his religion. There are only a limited number of reasons a person's personality type would do that. 'fundy" is the first word that pops up.

I say let people decide for themselves given the facts as best we know them. He (and others) think he knows his emotional state well enough to decide for us. He aint even close, That's scary.

How can people think that personal meaning is ok to push on other people as facts over how the universe works?
You have a reasonable view...that comports with a logical assessment of what we know about how things are.

I have coined a term for that fear of the title "God" some have: Godophobia.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:52 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your God-o-phobia blinders and filters refuse to let you acknowledge that "whatever it is" that is responsible for the very existence of EVERYTHING in existence qualifies as a God to us no matter WHAT it is. The fact that others ascribe things to this God that you do not agree with or consider irrational or absurd or just plain stupid has no bearing on the facts on the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I'm seriously curious Mistic, what viable evidence do you have to base your belief upon? The world has multiple religions that have large numbers of believers and ancient writings.
When considering such an amazing being as an all creator, do you not agree the Bible claim to be inconsistent with such a being? I don't think you accept the absurdities, so why is it you accept parts of it as viable evidence?
I am unsure what you are asking, but If you are wondering why I credit SOME of the writings in the "spiritual fossil record" it is because they provide a source of the consciousness I encountered in deep meditation. The descriptions of Jesus and His descriptions of the God He called His Father are exactly like the characteristics of the consciousness I encountered, I mean EXACTLY! The experience was so profound and life-changing that it set me on a course to explain it to my intellect. I succeeded and I have a plausible set of hypotheses consistent with extisting scientific knowledge that support my views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality