Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 12:05 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I don't think Christ wants us to give to the level that we are destitute and homeless ourselves. IF everyone just helped a little bit then most needs would be met.
Matthew 19:21

Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. -KJV

Jesus told him, "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." -NLT

Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” -ESV

Luke 18:22

When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." -NIV

When Jesus heard his answer, he said, "There is still one thing you haven't done. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." -NLT

Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. - KJV

Quote:
Maybe atheists should get off their fannies and help too instead of wasting all day bashing Christians online.
What makes you think they don't? Perhaps you don't realize this, but people don't necessarily inform you of their philanthropy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 12:06 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's called "context". I know it's difficult sometimes, but one must read it in context. You don't read other things, ripping the words out of context, or reading your own thoughts into it.
Oh yes of course. That old chestnut! It's funny how all these excuses for not following these particular commands don't seem to apply to things like homosexuality or even Paul's misogyny, but when it tells you to give away your precious money and possessions, then suddenly it's time for "interpretation" and "context" and EXCUSES!

When we read that 'Jesus loves' then we are expected to read it exactly as it is written but when 'Jesus hates' we are told not to read it as it is written. No, suddenly it time for 'context' and 'interpretation' and a load of other rules that are just not necessary when reading. That's the good thing about language fella...WORDS HAVE MEANINGS. Love means love and hate means hate....and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor means - sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor.

Have you noticed that I've never published a set of rules as to how my words should be interpreted or in what context they should be taken?? What makes you think you have the slightest idea what my words are saying since you're not equipped with a set of rules with which to read them?

It appears that when you want to proclaim you understand what words say, you can read them without any such list of rules. But when you don't like what something says, yet can't dispute the actually wording, you instead imply that a special set of rules is necessary. I'm sure you've had others tell you this is the way language works. Here's the news; they're wrong. They were wrong when they told you that and they're wrong now. And as long as you adhere to their false claims, you'll be just as wrong. And your proof for that is that you can understand what I'm saying without the list of rules you've been convinced you must have.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:10 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Oh yes of course. That old chestnut! It's funny how all these excuses for not following these particular commands don't seem to apply to things like homosexuality or even Paul's misogyny, but when it tells you to give away your precious money and possessions, then suddenly it's time for "interpretation" and "context" and EXCUSES!
Actually, it does. Context does matter.
Quote:
When we read that 'Jesus loves' then we are expected to read it exactly as it is written but when 'Jesus hates' we are told not to read it as it is written. No, suddenly it time for 'context' and 'interpretation' and a load of other rules that are just not necessary when reading. That's the good thing about language fella...WORDS HAVE MEANINGS. Love means love and hate means hate....and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor means - sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor.
Can you give examples?
Quote:
Have you noticed that I've never published a set of rules as to how my words should be interpreted or in what context they should be taken?? What makes you think you have the slightest idea what my words are saying since you're not equipped with a set of rules with which to read them?
Honestly? You kind of seem to be all over the board at times. Maybe you ought to.
Quote:
[/color]It appears that when you want to proclaim you understand what words say, you can read them without any such list of rules. But when you don't like what something says, yet can't dispute the actually wording, you instead imply that a special set of rules is necessary. I'm sure you've had others tell you this is the way language works. Here's the news; they're wrong. They were wrong when they told you that and they're wrong now. And as long as you adhere to their false claims, you'll be just as wrong. And your proof for that is that you can understand what I'm saying without the list of rules you've been convinced you must have.
[/font]
Can you give some examples? Or is this like when you argue with someone and they say "You always....." but don't really mean to talk about specifics?

Old 12-30-2016, 04:01 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Would that Good Samaritan have been immoral if he had not stopped to help the man?
To him that knows to do good and does not do it, to him that is sin.

So, yes.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:22 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
The lesson from watching a video of a woman bragging about giving bananas to the homeless is that it should be up to the atheist to look after the needs of the homeless is because the homeless are simply lazy and gate Christians?

I am so glad that the churches and Christians in my area and life are nit these 'true' Christians and get along and help everyone.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:31 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Matthew 19:21

Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. -KJV

Jesus told him, "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." -NLT

Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” -ESV

Luke 18:22

When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." -NIV

When Jesus heard his answer, he said, "There is still one thing you haven't done. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." -NLT

Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. - KJV

He is talking to the rich man to prove a point. Please show me where Jesus is saying we must ALL do this.
The point Jesus is making is that we can't be perfect in our own actions.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Actually, it does. Context does matter.
Of course it does. The point I'm making is why is it that when Jesus tells the rich man to... 'sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor' , he only means the rich man but when he says directly to the disciples Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:...that means you and all other Christians have to do it too.

Quote:
Can you give some examples? Or is this like when you argue with someone and they say "You always....." but don't really mean to talk about specifics?
If Jesus says that we must love each other then you accept that exactly as it's written and we have no need to interpret it differently or look for some hidden context or secret code that nobody other than Christians seem able to find.

When Jesus says that we must 'hate' our families we are told that the word 'HATE' doesn't actually mean hate as we use it. It just means that we have to put Jesus before everything else.

Quote:
He is talking to the rich man to prove a point. Please show me where Jesus is saying we must ALL do this.
16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

Please show me where Jesus is saying we must ALL do this. There are also many other verses telling you that riches are worthless.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:34 AM

641 posts, read 558,279 times
I think it's funny that Vizio tried to debunk this thread's main premise by stating that the big priority for Christianity is to "go in to all the world and preach the good news..." The reason I think it's funny is that he's quoting Mark 16 there, though the entire second half of Mark 16 is a textual variant. In other words, the second half of Mark 16 wasn't even originally part of the Bible. Like so much of the New Testament, it was simply added in, over the centuries following the life of Jesus.

But what are a few made-up scripture verses between friends, right?

Last edited by rpc1; 12-31-2016 at 01:43 AM..

Old 12-31-2016, 01:56 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
The point Jesus is making is that we can't be perfect in our own actions.
Nonsense; the point Jesus was making is that you should go, sell all that you have, and give it to the poor. You don't want to do it, so you pretend He didn't really mean what He said. Oh, but he's still your Lord, of course.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
I think it's funny that Vizio tried to debunk this thread's main premise by stating that the big priority for Christianity is to "go in to all the world and preach the good news..." The reason I think it's funny is that he's quoting Mark 16 there, though the entire second half of Mark 16 is a textual variant. In other words, the second half of Mark 16 wasn't even originally part of the Bible. Like so much of the New Testament, it was simply added in, over the centuries following the life of Jesus.

But what are a few made-up scripture verses between friends, right?
Indeed Sir! As you so rightly say Mark originally finished at 16:8. Verses 9 -20 are later additions. What a good thing that Yahweh's 'Word' has been so well preserved!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Nonsense; the point Jesus was making is that you should go, sell all that you have, and give it to the poor. You don't want to do it, so you pretend He didn't really mean what He said. Oh, but he's still your Lord, of course.
Nonsense indeed old thing...as confirmed by all the other verses were Jesus tells them to get rid of their sheckle.

Timothy 6:17-19 Command those who are rich with things of this world not to be proud. Tell them to hope in God, not in their uncertain riches. God richly gives us everything to enjoy. Tell the rich people to do good, to be rich in doing good deeds, to be generous and ready to share. By doing that, they will be saving a treasure for themselves as a strong foundation for the future. Then they will be able to have the life that is true life.

Luke 12:33 Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.

1 John 3:17-20 Now, suppose a person has enough to live on and notices another believer in need. How can God’s love be in that person if he doesn’t bother to help the other believer? Dear children, we must show love through actions that are sincere, not through empty words. This is how we will know that we belong to the truth and how we will be reassured in his presence. Whenever our conscience condemns us, we will be reassured that God is greater than our conscience and knows everything.

Deuteronomy 15:7-9 If there are poor among you, in one of the towns of the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not be selfish or greedy toward them. But give freely to them, and freely lend them whatever they need. Beware of evil thoughts. Don’t think, “The seventh year is near, the year to cancel what people owe.” You might be mean to the needy and not give them anything. Then they will complain to the Lord about you, and he will find you guilty of sin.

Luke 3:11 And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.”

Acts 2:42-45 They spent their time learning the apostles’ teaching, sharing, breaking bread, and praying together. The apostles were doing many miracles and signs, and everyone felt great respect for God. All the believers were together and shared everything. They would sell their land and the things they owned and then divide the money and give it to anyone who needed it.

Matthew 6:24-26 No one can serve two masters. The person will hate one master and love the other, or will follow one master and refuse to follow the other. You cannot serve both God and worldly riches. So I tell you, don’t worry about the food or drink you need to live, or about the clothes you need for your body. Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothes. Look at the birds in the air. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, but your heavenly Father feeds them. And you know that you are worth much more than the birds.

Hebrews 13:5 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

1 Timothy 6:8-12 But, if we have food and clothes, we will be satisfied with that. Those who want to become rich bring temptation to themselves and are caught in a trap. They want many foolish and harmful things that ruin and destroy people. The love of money causes all kinds of evil. Some people have left the faith, because they wanted to get more money, but they have caused themselves much sorrow. But you, man of God, run away from all those things. Instead, live in the right way, serve God, have faith, love, patience, and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith, grabbing hold of the life that continues forever. You were called to have that life when you confessed the good confession before many witnesses.

Proverbs 23:4-5 Don’t exhaust yourself acquiring wealth; be smart enough to stop. When you fix your gaze on it, it’s gone, for it sprouts wings for itself and flies to the sky like an eagle.

Proverbs 28:20-22 A truthful person will have many blessings, but those eager to get rich will be punished. It is not good for a judge to take sides, but some will sin for only a piece of bread. Selfish people are in a hurry to get rich and do not realize they soon will be poor.

Colossians 3:1-6 Since you were raised from the dead with Christ, aim at what is in heaven, where Christ is sitting at the right hand of God. Think only about the things in heaven, not the things on earth.

Ecclesiastes 5:10-13 Those who love money will never have enough. How meaningless to think that wealth brings true happiness! The more you have, the more people come to help you spend it. So what good is wealth–except perhaps to watch it slip through your fingers! People who work hard sleep well, whether they eat little or much. But the rich seldom get a good night’s sleep. There is another serious problem I have seen under the sun. Hoarding riches harms the saver.

...and others of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality