Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 10:19 AM

1,248 posts, read 820,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I know what Castle it is...It's beautiful...He built it for his bride, who died before it was completed and never got to see it...It was never occupied by him...
Bride? The name of that bride was Richard Wagner, the composer Sorry for laughing, but seriously, it is the first time I read this version of the story. The king had a bride really, but he cancelled the wedding himself, and later she married another man. But he was a great admirer of Richard Wagner and built the castle as a monument to his art. There are themes from Wagner's operas everywhere in the interior. I am also an admirer, so this place is all the more special for me. And the composer really died before the castle was completed and never got to see it. Sorry for the off-topic.

Last edited by Norne; 12-26-2016 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 10:20 AM

19,823 posts, read 13,357,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
If you do not like your current reality, try and build your own.
So long as you're aware that's what you're doing, it's not necessarily a bad idea. I think that everyone's home to some extent tries to be a refuge from the unpleasantness in the world. Nothing wrong with that as long as you understand its limitations and so long as you don't flee any engagement in or responsibility at all for reality itself, for the well being of your fellow humans, etc.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:51 AM

1,248 posts, read 820,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
So long as you're aware that's what you're doing, it's not necessarily a bad idea. I think that everyone's home to some extent tries to be a refuge from the unpleasantness in the world. Nothing wrong with that as long as you understand its limitations and so long as you don't flee any engagement in or responsibility at all for reality itself, for the well being of your fellow humans, etc.
This phrase has been bugging me every time I read it, I guess because it is so imprecise. Where exactly do the limits of responsibility for other humans lie? My first trip to Bavaria, back when I lived in my birth country, cost me upward of $1000. Had I given the money to charity and contented myself with staying at home and viewing pictures, that money could have done good to some people. Does it make me an immoral person to have spent that much money on a selfish pleasure of a couple weeks' vacation? Back when I was a Christian, I believed that yes, it would be immoral to spend that much money on temporary and "fleshly" pleasures instead of laying up treasure in heaven. I believed that my money, time, health, emotions etc belong to God, not to myself. But I think I am free of that now.

Or take the OP. Maybe he would rather go fishing instead of sitting at a Christmas table with a crowd of relatives (what his wife seems to enjoy). Would it be irresponsible of him to do what HE desires to do on that day instead of what others expect of him?

Old 12-26-2016, 11:10 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,819,560 times
Quote:
I know what Castle it is...It's beautiful...He built it for his bride, who died before it was completed and never got to see it..
Ummm. Don't think so mate!

Quote:
Bride? The name of that bride was Richard Wagner, the composer Sorry for laughing, but seriously, it is the first time I read this version of the story. The king had a bride really, but he cancelled the wedding himself, and later she married another man. But he was a great admirer of Richard Wagner and built the castle as a monument to his art. There are themes from Wagner's operas everywhere in the interior. I am also an admirer, so this place is all the more special for me. And the composer really died before the castle was completed and never got to see it. Sorry for the off-topic.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:39 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,337,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzy View Post
I'm desperate to learn how to love Christmas again. Over the years I've totally lost my mojo for celebrating Christmas. And I remember as a child it was the only holiday I always looked forward to. Now as an adult it just seems like another day. I feel bad though because my wife is huge on Celebrating Christmas. Any help or suggestions on what to do?
Well unfortunately none of us gets the opportunity to go back and be kids again. The closest we can come is to have kids of our own. And even that has a limited shelf life. I'm 68 and my kids are off having their own lives. And none of them has chosen to give me grand children yet. I guess I am at that awkward age.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:45 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,937,820 times
Quote:
I read it about 30 years ago in an actual book...The story goes that all the castles in Europe owe their existence to Castle Neuschwanstein...It seems every time I remember something I read long ago, it suddenly has changed to something that I do not recognize...Kinda like the history that I learned in school and related it to my granddad and him telling me that that was wrong, asking him how did he know and him telling me that he was there, he saw it with his own eyes...

Old 12-26-2016, 11:52 AM

19,823 posts, read 13,357,103 times
Quote:
This phrase has been bugging me every time I read it, I guess because it is so imprecise. Where exactly do the limits of responsibility for other humans lie? My first trip to Bavaria, back when I lived in my birth country, cost me upward of $1000. Had I given the money to charity and contented myself with staying at home and viewing pictures, that money could have done good to some people. Does it make me an immoral person to have spent that much money on a selfish pleasure of a couple weeks' vacation? Back when I was a Christian, I believed that yes, it would be immoral to spend that much money on temporary and "fleshly" pleasures instead of laying up treasure in heaven. I believed that my money, time, health, emotions etc belong to God, not to myself. But I think I am free of that now.

Or take the OP. Maybe he would rather go fishing instead of sitting at a Christmas table with a crowd of relatives (what his wife seems to enjoy). Would it be irresponsible of him to do what HE desires to do on that day instead of what others expect of him?
I would say no to both, so far as it's any of my business as an outside observer (it's not). I wouldn't judge it. I don't generally think in terms like that. My wife and I for example have been traveling a fair bit internationally (more or less annually) the past few years and that has been at the expense of visiting my daughter and grandchildren (who, to be fair, could just as well prioritize a visit to us; it IS their turn) and at the expense of much of our retirement savings. That is our needle to thread. We threaded it this way mainly because both of us are not enjoying the greatest health, and wanted to do it while we were up to it.

People make triage decisions like that all the time.

I am thinking more in terms of stretching / challenging ourselves in terms of empathy and caring, being less insular, more welcoming. (I actually think our travel experiences have opened us up more in that regard. The Berlin Christmas market attack was, for example, a LOT more relatable to me courtesy of our last trip to Europe where we actually experienced Christmas markets of that sort. Especially since that was right after the Paris attacks and my situational awareness was on high alert during those Christmas market visits, being aware of exit strategies and the like).

One expression of being less insular and more caring is that if Trump's congress enacts a tax cut for those in higher income brackets I will likely divert whatever savings that accrues to me, to local charities that support refugees in the area, or to local food kitchens and the like. I was happy to pay my fair share of taxes for the social safety net, and if Trump guts the social safety net so I can have a tax break then I feel it's my responsibility to negate my tax cut in that way.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:56 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,819,560 times
Quote:
I read it about 30 years ago in an actual book...The story goes that all the castles in Europe owe their existence to Castle Neuschwanstein...
I think Neuschwanstein was one of the LAST castles in Europe to be built!!

Old 12-26-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ummm. Don't think so mate!

Well, then who the heck am I remembering?...

Old 12-26-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I think Neuschwanstein was one of the LAST castles in Europe to be built!!
I've read that over half of the castle in Germany were destroyed during WWII...Is that also a wrong remembrance?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality