Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:24 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times

Advertisements

Many will say this is a coincidence. Many will say Debbie couldn't handle the loss of her daughter, and that grief and stress took her.

But is there something spiritual about this? Did Debbie somehow choose to go be with Carrie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 08:27 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Who knows??

Old 12-28-2016, 09:22 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Moderator cut: delete My uncle died of a massive heart attack the day after my father died, and Dad was probably his only friend in the families. Shock and stress upon an already weaken individual may cause events to speed up. I have also been told of old dogs dying right after their owner too.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-29-2016 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-28-2016, 11:04 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I have never been so shocked when I heard the news a few minutes ago.
Who knows how these things work exactly.
May they both find wonderful happiness on the Other Side. Bless them both....
and strength for those left behind.
xxoo.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:19 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Many will say this is a coincidence. Many will say Debbie couldn't handle the loss of her daughter, and that grief and stress took her.

But is there something spiritual about this? Did Debbie somehow choose to go be with Carrie?
This is neither spiritual nor is it a coincidence. The grief and stress of losing her daughter was simply more than the 84 year old Reynolds could take.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:12 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
This is neither spiritual nor is it a coincidence. The grief and stress of losing her daughter was simply more than the 84 year old Reynolds could take.
It could be either.

The life expectancy of an 84-year-old American woman is 7-8 years - roughly 2700 days. So occasionally a parent of this age will die shortly following the death of a child by simple happenstance.

That said, the data shows elevated mortality rates among parents following the death of a child. That the death of the child was unexpected in this case, and that the age of the parent was one where health was far from optimal, could very plausibly be contributing factors.

Statistically, the latter is probably more likely than the former. But there is no way of knowing for certain.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:23 AM

42 posts, read 75,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It could be either.

The life expectancy of an 84-year-old American woman is 7-8 years - roughly 2700 days. So occasionally a parent of this age will die shortly following the death of a child by simple happenstance.

That said, the data shows elevated mortality rates among parents following the death of a child. That the death of the child was unexpected in this case, and that the age of the parent was one where health was far from optimal, could very plausibly be contributing factors.

Statistically, the latter is probably more likely than the former. But there is no way of knowing for certain.
We all die one day, we only feel grief or sadness for the people ('Celebrities') that somehow touched our hearts.

I don't like Star Wars, so I just hope the Reynold's knew Jesus. Nothing more.

We are all appointed once to die... It's like getting worked up over an auto accident.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:24 AM

42 posts, read 75,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have never been so shocked when I heard the news a few minutes ago.
Who knows how these things work exactly.
May they both find wonderful happiness on the Other Side. Bless them both....
and strength for those left behind.
xxoo.
Was it a suicide?

Old 12-29-2016, 06:27 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickItInYourEar View Post
Was it a suicide?
It was a broken heart due to the loss of her daughter.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:21 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

I would not call it a coincidence. The most economical explanation is that an 85 year old woman's health was pushed over the edge by the grief and loss of her daughter's death. Ischemic events such as the stroke that took Reynolds can often be stress-mediated.

Many mothers are so bound up in their children and in caring for their children -- even adult children -- that they might well prefer, in the heat of the moment, to try to continue their care-taking and fussing in an imagined afterlife, since the loss of a good portion of their raison d'etre could then be remedied. In those moments they would not be thinking of their OTHER children and grandchildren, their spouse if any, and so forth. It happens. Loss is painful and stressful, and many cannot sublimate or otherwise manage their emotional responses. When you are old and, as the saying goes, have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, losing the will to live plus stress can easily equal death.

Now with this perfectly reasonable and to-be-expected response of an elderly woman to her child's death being more than adequately explained without resorting to "spiritual" speculations, I don't see why one would even go there. Why would you? It would not add anything to the explanatory framework. It would simply complicate it in entirely subjective ways. Ask an evangelical Christian, a liberal Christian, a Muslim, a follower of New Age teachings, a follower of New Thought, a Buddhist and a spiritualist, for their "spiritual" assessment and you would get a different response from each of them anyway.

Good grief, 2016 has been a god-awful year that just keeps taking. Here's a family deep in grief whose suffering is trebled by yet another loss on the heels of the first one. Let us hope we can get at least to Jan 1 without someone else in that family throwing a rod so to speak. They have had enough suffering. To impose a spiritual explanation on them is to suggest that their suffering is somehow the will of the gods, will NOT be helpful to them in any way. And frankly, in my view, it's in bad taste on top of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality