Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 04:25 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yea...I agree...While I have my Jewish beliefs, I like a good argument, and you can't have a good argument without an open mind...And through argument, everyone learns...
lmao, yeah right.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:30 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao, yeah right.
Sarcasm?...

Old 01-03-2017, 04:35 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yea...I agree...While I have my Jewish beliefs, I like a good argument, and you can't have a good argument without an open mind...And through argument, everyone learns...
Sometimes... how many truly have an open mind?

Old 01-03-2017, 04:53 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Sometimes... how many truly have an open mind?
I have an open mind.
Open to the potential that everyone is "fair game" for my contributions to this board to swoop down and pick at their posts like a vulture on a carcass!
And, don't worry, unless I get kicked off the board...I promise to plague you all very reliably with my twisted views for the foreseeable future.
Happy New Year...I love you all!

Old 01-03-2017, 04:56 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I have an open mind.
Open to the potential that everyone is "fair game" for my contributions to this board to swoop down and pick at their posts like a vulture on a carcass!
And, don't worry, unless I get kicked off the board...I promise to plague you all very reliably with my twisted views for the foreseeable future.
Happy New Year...I love you all!
Nothing wrong at all with good natured humor and non emotional banter.

Fair game... that's like deer in season? Lol

Old 01-03-2017, 05:53 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
This new rule seems to be far too ambiguous and broad as worded.

Yes, this would be because Religion has a lot more to do with Science then Science does with Religion. When discussing the truth and the origin of the Universe, Science MUST come into the equation.

Agree. The reason Religion is not discussed in the Science forum is because there is nothing that religion can add to scientific discovery and inquiry. However there are a lot of areas where Science is very important in religious discussions, which is why I started a thread on this very topic.

Areas where Science needs to be involved in religious discussion:
  • Origin of the Universe.
  • Origin of life.
  • The study of relationships between the natural sciences and theological views.
  • The facilitation of dialogue between the two academic disciplines of science and religion, one of the most important current areas of debate in terms of understanding the nature of humanity.
  • Discussing issues of relevance to religion in an age of science.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:16 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
.... Religion is not discussed in the Science forum.....However ....Science is very important in religious discussions...
That is a double standard .
The mods recognize this (even if you do not) and seek to remedy it.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
That is a double standard .
The mods recognize this (even if you do not) and seek to remedy it.
Explain how it's a double standard?

Do tell how religion would be of value in a science forum?

I have already pointed out how Science is of great value in many areas of a religious discussion.

Simple question: How is religion of value in a science forum?

What does religion have to do with explaining the concepts of Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Astronomy or Math?

However Science has everything do with explaining the concepts of Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Astronomy and Math...which religion makes some pretty unsubstantiated claims about.

It's not a double standard...you just wish it were.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
You can research double standard on your own.
You made the claim that I don't agree with. I gave examples as to why it's not a double standard.

You made the claim, therefore it's up to you to explain what you mean by that claim...if you can't back up your claim then it's clear your claim is not substantiated by anything and is only your opinion.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:37 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

Agree. The reason Religion is not discussed in the Science forum is because there is nothing that religion can add to scientific discovery and inquiry. However there are a lot of areas where Science is very important in religious discussions, which is why I started a thread on this very topic.

Areas where Science needs to be involved in religious discussion:
  • Origin of the Universe.
  • Origin of life.
  • The study of relationships between the natural sciences and theological views.
  • The facilitation of dialogue between the two academic disciplines of science and religion, one of the most important current areas of debate in terms of understanding the nature of humanity.
  • Discussing issues of relevance to religion in an age of science.
This, again...is demonstrative of one that takes a contradictory view as to the validity of the literal interpretation of Religious writings...as opposed to an analysis of them as allegorical and metaphorical.
Otherwise...why would "Science" need to be involved in what Religion has to say about origins of the Universe and life, or a comparison of Scientific and Religious "views"?
If Religious writings are not assessed literally they have no opposition to "Science"...cuz then it is just allegorically illustrated philosophical and ethical views, which are typically subjective. And no need for "Science" to interject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality