Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 02:58 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,645,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You're still noit getting it . Anything that exists in religious claims, fantasy or an entity made up out of nowhere - it doesn't matter; the only point in what evidence there is for any of them.
Oh..and I eat Gremlins for breakfast. They are as you say, not pretty, but they are good with mushrooms.
All joking aside...the evidence that supports mainstream Religions is typically the most prolific writings in the history of humankind. Writings that are the subject of more scholarly study and analysis than anything else ever written.
Though not fully objective...this is still determined by the personal judgement and determination of many billions to be sufficient to base their determination of validity upon.
To compare the Tooth Fairy, Garden Gnomes, IPUs, the FSM, Santa, Gremlins, or any of the other childish stuff that has none of what so many, for so long, perceive and determine to be meritorious evidentiary support, is bogus.
You can claim that *you* don't find these epic supportive writings to be sufficient indirect evidence...but that doesn't change the fact that judgement deviates from the standard...and so many do find it sufficient evidence, that is (and has been for over a thousand years) the status quo.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
All joking aside...the evidence that supports mainstream Religions is typically the most prolific writings in the history of humankind. Writings that are the subject of more scholarly study and analysis than anything else ever written.
Though not fully objective...this is still determined by the personal judgement and determination of many billions to be sufficient to base their determination of validity upon.
To compare the Tooth Fairy, Garden Gnomes, IPUs, the FSM, Santa, Gremlins, or any of the other childish stuff that has none of what so many, for so long, perceive and determine to be meritorious evidentiary support, is bogus.
You can claim that *you* don't find these epic supportive writings to be sufficient indirect evidence...but that doesn't change the fact that judgement deviates from the standard...and so many do find it sufficient evidence, that is (and has been for over a thousand years) the status quo.
Take away the tradition, peer pressure and churches, just picking up the bible, would you believe it? Basically, belief is a cult activity. Most Christians and Jews, likely read very little of the books. They are convinced by culture and not evidence. This is evident by other cultures religions, as well.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:40 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,082,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Take away the tradition, peer pressure and churches, just picking up the bible, would you believe it? Basically, belief is a cult activity. Most Christians and Jews, likely read very little of the books. They are convinced by culture and not evidence. This is evident by other cultures religions, as well.

NOW you are talking!

Picking up the bible and reading/analyzing is up to each individual whether he gets convinced by it or not?
You can't force it upon someone. It's a personal journey and the use of one's own intelligence and research to form an opinion of whether accepting or rejecting what's in the bible?
There should be absolutely no compulsion in that.

However, reading, analyzing and researching ANY holy scripture is the SECOND step.

The first step is to answer the question, "whether you feel that there is a creator out there or not"?

If you start your research with a negative (There is no God) then you will reject it no matter what holy text you research, and no matter what logical evidence is provided to you.
Whether it's bible, Torah, Quran, Gita, etc, you are going to reject it!
No matter what kind of debates and arguments are presented to you, you will reject it.
Even if God comes down to earth and meet you in person, you will probably say, I am dreaming. And... reject it.

If you start with a POSTIVE mindset of, "YES, I feel that there is a God out there, and I feel that there IS a creator of this universe, I feel that there IS a force that has a greater control over things than I do, so let me try to find it", ONLY THEN you will be able to form a faith after reading and researching the holy text.

And as I said previously, IF you feel that there is a God out there, and you want to take this 100% personal journey to try to find him, then you will need to follow a rule.

"A God of any religion under your research, will be judged by his message in his holy book".

Now you start your research with any religion of your choice, and while you read through its holy text, you periodically ask yourself a question.

"Is it the truth"?
And you let your heart answer the question.

You should repeat this process with every religious book under your research and most likely you should be able to find the one that talks to your heart.

Remember, the brain provides intelligence and help us to the research part, but the call to faith comes from the heart.

If you have question or need more explanation of a certain verse then seek your answer from a scholar of THAT particular religion.
It's an oxymoron to have a bible verse explained by an Islamic Scholar, and a Quranic verse explained by an Atheist, and a Jewish text explained by a Hindu.

But again, that's only and only IF you are starting with a positive mindset that YES, I feel that there is a God out there, let me find out. Let me try to separate truth from the lies and see if I can identify the ONE true God?

Otherwise, if you don't feel the need or existence of God, then it's a useless effort to search for him. And I have no problem with it.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
NOW you are talking!

Picking up the bible and reading/analyzing is up to each individual whether he gets convinced by it or not?
You can't force it upon someone. It's a personal journey and the use of one's own intelligence and research to form an opinion of whether accepting or rejecting what's in the bible?

However, reading, analyzing and researching ANY holy scripture is the SECOND step.

The first step is to answer the question, "whether you feel that there is a creator out there or not"?

If you start your research with a negative (There is no God) then you will reject it no matter what holy text you research, and no matter what logical evidence is provided to you.
No matter what kind of debates and arguments are presented to you, you will reject it.
Even if God comes down to earth and meet you in person, you will probably say, I am dreaming. And... reject it.

If you start with a POSTIVE mindset of, "YES, I feel that there is a God out there, and I feel that there IS a creator of this universe, I feel that there IS a force that has a greater control over things than I do, so let me try to find it", ONLY THEN you will be able to form a faith after reading and researching the holy text.

And as I said previously, IF you feel that there is a God out there, and you want to take this 100% personal journey to try to find him, then you will need to follow a rule.

"A God of any religion under your research, will be judged by his message in his holy book".

Now you start your research with any religion of your choice, and while you read through its holy text, you periodically ask yourself a question.

"Is it the truth"?

You should repeat this process with every religious book under your research and most likely you should be able to find the one that talks to your heart.

Remember, the brain provides intelligence and help us to the research part, but the call to faith comes from the heart.

If you have question or need more explanation of a certain verse then seek your answer from a scholar of THAT particular religion.
It's an oxymoron to have a bible verse explained by an Islamic Scholar, and a Quranic verse explained by an Atheist, and a Jewish text explained by a Hindu.

But again, that's only and only IF you are starting with a positive mindset that YES, I feel that there is a God out there, let me find out. Let me try to separate truth from the lies and see if I can identify the ONE true God?

Otherwise, if you don't feel the need or existence of God, then it's a useless effort to search for him. And I have no problem with it.
When I read the bible, I did so as a Christian wanting confirmation of my belief. My belief originated in my cultural upbringing. The bible and its God made no sense and was contrary to my original belief of this god.

Using your criteria, an individual could believe Harry Potter was a god or that Santa really exists. I chose to use reason and find evidence, which did not happen.

I do not rule out the possibility of a higher being, but if it does exist, it is indifferent to us, IMO.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:01 PM

504 posts, read 299,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Before you collapse from a stress induced stroke triggered by a rant like this, you may want to consider that the Irish have for years, and still do, consider trolls, leprechauns and fairies real and believe that they have various powers as fervently as religious believers.

Does that make them real?

Old 01-22-2017, 06:15 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
NOW you are talking!

"Is it the truth"?

For starters, intelligence and faith are both results of brain functions, so they cannot be separated physiologically.
Secondly, all religions and religious claims have the burden of proof. Atheists do NOT necessarily start with the belief that there is no God, so that's a strawman you've constructed. Your requirement that one must first believe there is a God to find God demonstrates an odd God who will only provide evidence for his existence only if one already believes.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:33 PM

997 posts, read 936,155 times
No. I would only accept my own experiences as real for me, and even then I would proceed with caution.

I have had my own experiences and my beliefs are based on that. I don't believe anybody more then myself and I never will. Nobody knows more about my belief system then I do. God(ess) isn't known for being strictly honest. That is a personal experience. She actually likes to be called Modess, because she is a modern version.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:42 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
Before you collapse from a stress induced stroke triggered by a rant like this, you may want to consider that the Irish have for years, and still do, consider trolls, leprechauns and fairies real and believe that they have various powers as fervently as religious believers.

Of course nature spirits are real. Go over to the pagan forum if you are interested. Humans are designed to communicate with plants and animals and what you describe in mocking terms are various guardians of the nature realms. Let me take a wild guess...do you hunt and kill animals for sport?

Old 01-22-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Meanwhile..."God Belief" is a Standard Of Human Understanding...and the Ruling Viewpoint.
Atheism...not so much.
You like, "Objective facts based upon evidence"?! Try that one!

Old 01-22-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post

Not necessarily...but it tells me a lot about the Irish.
You are the one with the stress...all twisted up. I'm cool as can be. I am laughing really hard though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality