Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:40 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Sure sounds fun. Lets start with you specifically defining your version of god and an enumeration of your scientific reasons for believing in said god. Then explain why each of those reasons are evidence that your definition of god exists.

You did say that science was one of the things that brought you back, so you must at least have a decent god hypothesis and objective supporting evidence, no?
I look forward to bippy's response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 08:43 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In the context of this forum, it's not much of a stretch. There is one regular member that has claimed many, many times that the non-believers are just angry toward God. He's been told by the non-believers (every time he says it) that they can't be angry with something that they do not believe exists. Yet, the next time the subject comes up, he claims the same thing again. So, yeah, the non-believers can pretty much know what he (at least) believes.
And it's amazing how the non-believers keep showing up on internet message boards to attack that which they claim they don't believe in.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:45 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Bert Campolo, The Evangelical Scion Who Stopped Believing

For most of his life, Campolo had gone from success to success. His father, Tony, was one of the most important evangelical Christian preachers of the last 50 years, a prolific author and an erstwhile spiritual adviser to Bill Clinton. The younger Campolo had developed a reputation of his own, running successful inner-city missions in Philadelphia and Ohio and traveling widely as a guest preacher...For Campolo, admitting that he had totally lost his faith was oddly comforting...

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/m...ving.html?_r=1
A spiritual adviser to Bill Clinton is not necessarily a resume' enhancement.

From the article...

“When I took off on the bicycle that day,” Campolo says, “the supernaturalism in my faith was dialed so far down you could barely notice it.” It had been years since he made God or Jesus or the resurrection the centerpiece of the frequent fellowship dinners he and Marty hosted. Talk instead was always about love and friendship. In 2004, he performed a wedding for two close lesbian friends, and in 2006, he began teaching that everybody could be saved, that nobody would go to hell.

Now, after his near-death experience, his wife told him — more bluntly than she ever had — what she thought was going on. “You know,” Marty said, “I think you ought to stop being a professional Christian, since you don’t believe in God, and you don’t believe in heaven, and you don’t believe Jesus rose from the dead three days after dying — and neither do I.”

Sounds like a typical case of trying to do Christianity without Christ. You can't do it. He just realized it.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 01-25-2017 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: typo...

Old 01-25-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
A spiritual adviser to Bill Clinton is not necessarily a resume' enhancement.

From the article...

“When I took off on the bicycle that day,†Campolo says, “the supernaturalism in my faith was dialed so far down you could barely notice it.†It had been years since he made God or Jesus or the resurrection the centerpiece of the frequent fellowship dinners he and Marty hosted. Talk instead was always about love and friendship. In 2004, he performed a wedding for two close lesbian friends, and in 2006, he began teaching that everybody could be saved, that nobody would go to hell.

Now, after his near-death experience, his wife told him — more bluntly than she ever had — what she thought was going on. “You know,†Marty said, “I think you ought to stop being a professional Christian, since you don’t believe in God, and you don’t believe in heaven, and you don’t believe Jesus rose from the dead three days after dying — and neither do I.â€

Sounds like a typical case of trying to do Christianity with Christ. You can't do it. He just realized it.
Typo? Do you mean in that last line "without Christ"?

Old 01-25-2017, 08:54 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Heh I read that too and did a minor double take. Was going to comment on it and then I realized the sentence works either way.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:55 AM

48 posts, read 30,408 times
Quote:
And it's amazing how the non-believers keep showing up on internet message boards to attack that which they claim they don't believe in.
that's because most atheists aren't really atheists but anti theists who hate the God they suspect does exist .

Old 01-25-2017, 08:57 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Fixed... thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Heh I read that too and did a minor double take. Was going to comment on it and then I realized the sentence works either way.
In Campolo's case - it didn't work.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:58 AM

48 posts, read 30,408 times
Quote:
Well....Tony isn't exactly a shining example of a faithful pastor....so it's not a surprise that his kid walked away from the faith.

Having said that, pastor's kids are normal people. Sometimes they don't believe.

Did he do something that caused you to believe he was an unfaithful pastor ?
I haven't researched him fully I just know him from his very inclusivistic videos

Old 01-25-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippy123 View Post
that's because most atheists aren't really atheists but anti theists who hate the God they suspect does exist .
Agreed. I would suggest it's not really even something they're consciously aware of. It's weird how they say that they grew up in the church, or Grandma used to make them go as a kid, or whatever....but it's amazing how many of them carry grudges against some form of church they used to be a part of. So they assume that it represents God in all aspects and they hate all organized religion.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:00 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In the context of this forum, it's not much of a stretch. There is one regular member that has claimed many, many times that the non-believers are just angry toward God. He's been told by the non-believers (every time he says it) that they can't be angry with something that they do not believe exists. Yet, the next time the subject comes up, he claims the same thing again. So, yeah, the non-believers can pretty much know what he (at least) believes.
"Angry toward God", means anger toward directives the Deity God has put forth through what is written in "Holy Books".
"Angry toward God", because of the rules and commandments you don't want to obey.
The oxymoronic assessment of the attitude and actions (replete with detailed critique, insults, mocking, etc) of those very Gods that y'all claim don't exist...rather than just say, "It's a myth, they don't exist", and leave it at that...sure does make it seem like y'all are angry!

The amusement of the cognitively dissonant head-butting between these sides is what's my main attraction to this board!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality