Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 11:38 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
So why comment and add another post then? Just to cry and moan about it? Nothing better to do?
Just making an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 11:38 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Amazing that this has gone on for as long as it has. It's a testimony to the intolerance of the non-religious. If this was a kid that simply told his parents that he didn't want anything to do with their religion, great....end of story. But Mom and Dad dare to tell the kid that his lifestyle is wrong, and people freak out. 378 posts later, the C-D group is still arguing over it.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:46 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Amazing that this has gone on for as long as it has. It's a testimony to the intolerance of the non-religious. If this was a kid that simply told his parents that he didn't want anything to do with their religion, great....end of story. But Mom and Dad dare to tell the kid that his lifestyle is wrong, and people freak out. 378 posts later, the C-D group is still arguing over it.
I was waiting for you to arrive. Here. I have my fainting couch for you. Have a drape across it.

They gave birth to, and raised a gay son. Now they use God to reject him.

God sees this sham.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:47 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
No, it doesn't make you a bigot. But if you insisted that your offspring must think as you do about it, and if you refuse to accept that, while you can't see how such a marriage would work for you, that doesn't mean your offspring couldn't see how it would work for them, and if you refuse to be present for them at an important event in their lives in order to express your disapproval of their choice or because it made you uncomfortable -- what would that make you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
I'm confident any children I will hopefully raise will see the beauty of Judaism; that it will allow them to lead the most productive life as honest, morally upright citizens that contribute whatever they can to society and all the people they meet. Hopefully, I'll lead by example and they will absorb that.

If not, I'll love my children just the way they are. But, again, whenever there is conflict, especially among family, sometimes compromise is necessary. I am sure we will figure it out should it ever come to that.

Edit: I am talking in general here not about the marriage example specifically.
That seems like a non-answer to me. I'm not asking what you would do. I'm asking if you DID do those things (bolded), what would that say about you?

Old 02-14-2017, 11:47 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
Orthodox Jews don't enter churches. (Though, some will enter mosques.) One reason being Christans split their God up into 3 entities which is not aligned with Jewish beliefs while Muslims don't do that.

Jewish Orthodox and Conservative clergy does not do interfaith marriages. So, likely, a person of the spouses faith would do the wedding. Doesn't work.

If the venue and ritual and offical doing the ceremony is non-religious I could very well imagine even some Orthodox Jews attending though certainly not all.
Okay, so I decided to do a little research (Thank you for making me interested in this topic), and came up with this. It basically says that, yes, according to the old doctrine, you shouldn't step foot in a church, but the last line in the article says something else. Something we are used to hearing when talking of religion.

https://www.thejc.com/judaism/rabbi-...-church-1.4626

Fear of entering a church may have been relevant in certain countries in earlier periods, but does not apply today. It smacks either of religious cowardice or of time-warp mentality.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:49 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
In the 1980's, two gay men wrote guidelines in how to further the gay agenda and make gay marriage legal and acceptable.

Guidelines...

#1.........label anyone opposed to gay marriage as " homophobes"
#2........label any religion/church opposed to gay marriage...." a church of hate"

#3.........quiet any one not supportive of gay marriage by accusing them of being gay themselves

Yup, what side is the one who perfected "labeling" and "accusing " ?

Old 02-14-2017, 11:52 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:

Too very different ideas. For a person to tell another that their belief or lack of belief is wrong is one thing, not being willing to share their one special day is a totally different degree. For example you probably know what I think of your religious beliefs however if we were related and I was available and I had been invited to your wedding I would certainly have attended it no question asked. That you do not see the difference between disagreement and in shunning someone's most important day of their life is your problem and I do not think that those who are non religious are necessarily the intolerance ones as once again you ignore all the religious ones whose views you disagree with or lump some religious people as non religious because you do not agree with them. I see that nothing has changed during my absence. My aunt's refusal to go to my wedding was her intolerance and so her children and her husband were not able to see my commitment to my wife that has now lasted over 40 years. If one of my grandchildren had a SSM or married an extremely fundamental Christian I would go to her wedding because it is HER wedding and nothing to do with me. If that is what you think intolerance is so be it. Failure to support your child or grandchild on that one special day is not supporting them at all as far as I am concerned.

The intolerance is not in the not agreeing with someone but in the refusal to attend this special day and the effects it will have on your child and even more so on their spouse for maybe the rest of your life.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Really ?

and what thought makes gay men get moist ?
I spend no time thinking about the personal sexual practice of gay men ,or straight men ,or women for that matter. Fundamentalist ideologues seem to be stuck on it. It stirs your loins and makes you moist. It is something about the forbidden I think. I am sure the pages of many Bibles are dog-eared on scriptures mentioning forbidden sex.

My LGBTQ family members are no different that you. They work, pay taxes, do homework with their children. Just like the Stone family.

The parents of this gay man are wrong.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
In the 1980's, two gay men wrote guidelines in how to further the gay agenda and make gay marriage legal and acceptable.

Guidelines...

#1.........label anyone opposed to gay marriage as " homophobes"
#2........label any religion/church opposed to gay marriage...." a church of hate"

#3.........quiet any one not supportive of gay marriage by accusing them of being gay themselves

Yup, what side is the one who perfected "labeling" and "accusing " ?

News flash- Your LGBTQ brothers and sisters are marrying all over the nation.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:17 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
News flash- Your LGBTQ brothers and sisters are marrying all over the nation.
And the fundies' impotent wailing and gnashing of teeth is music to my ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality