Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 09:47 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,929,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Nate is right. I may not be a Christian, but I certainly do not lack knowledge of the religion. In fact, the majority of us non believers were, at one point, a believer in one religion or another. The Jesus I have read about does not sound like the Jesus sc believes in, as he is certainly not practicing Jesus' love when telling his family members they come second, or trying to deny gay rights.

But what do I know?
Nate presents a false love while trying to use Jesus to testify of it. And, itching ears like yours are drawn to it, just as the Scripture teaches.

2 Timothy 4
1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 12:34 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,596,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Nate presents a false love while trying to use Jesus to testify of it. And, itching ears like yours are drawn to it, just as the Scripture teaches.

2 Timothy 4
1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
Okay sc, I am going to say this as nicely as I can..... You sound like someone simply parroting fundamentalist talking points. Someone who does not do their own thinking.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:52 PM

15,803 posts, read 6,263,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
N
ate presents a false love while trying to use Jesus to testify of it. And, itching ears like yours are drawn to it, just as the Scripture teaches.

2 Timothy 4
Fable:
fa·ble
ˈfābəl/Submit
noun
a short story, typically with animals as characters, conveying a moral.

Snake in the Garden of Eden, talking donkey, living inside of a big fish for a couple of days...this is a great verse against taking the Bible literally.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:27 PM

778 posts, read 338,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'd expect Dad and Dad to wonder who brainwashed their child into believing the hurtful, prejudiced preaching of anti-LGBTQ conservative Christians.
Believing in God is not prejudicial or hurtful or anti-LGBTQ. Believing that God deems homosexuality, bestiality, incest and adultery to be sinful is not hurtful, prejudicial or anti-LGBTQ.

Just because I believe that an activity you are engaged in is a sin, is not anti-anything. If my beliefs hurt your feelings, perhaps that has more to do with you than we me.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
What ever happened to hate the sin, but love the sinner? It's their SON for heck's sake. By going to his wedding, they are supporting him, not the wedding or disavowing their belief. It is a strange, twisted belief system of those, like you, who promulgate anything else. How are you different from a radical Islamist who hates Christians? What a disgusting philosophy.

Hypothetical. I have an affair with a married man with 3 children. He leaves his wife and children for me. My parents do not support this marriage because they see what I have done as committing adultery and destroying a family. Therefore, they refuse to attend the wedding of their daughter and her adulterous groom. Are they twisted and wrong for refusing to attend the wedding, seeing as they do not support the choices made by either the bride or the groom?

Old 03-30-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
But it's okay to turn your back on them?
I don't think Jesus would approve.

Really? Cause Jesus said go forth and sin no more. Jesus turned over the tables of the money changers...

Jesus is not down with homosexuality or abortion or any other progressive moral equivalent of the day.

And I am not Christian in case you want to use that to dismiss the truth.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:41 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,596,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
Hypothetical. I have an affair with a married man with 3 children. He leaves his wife and children for me. My parents do not support this marriage because they see what I have done as committing adultery and destroying a family. Therefore, they refuse to attend the wedding of their daughter and her adulterous groom. Are they twisted and wrong for refusing to attend the wedding, seeing as they do not support the choices made by either the bride or the groom?
Right, because that is EXACLTY the same as a loving, monogamous gay couple getting married.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Really? So where exactly in the Bible do we find that a marriage consists ONLY of one man and one woman? Chapter and verse would be appreciated.

The Bible clearly states that the other unions are marriages.
Do any of those unions involve 2 men or 2 women only?

Old 03-30-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Right, because that is EXACLTY the same as a loving, monogamous gay couple getting married.
How is it any different? The intent of the bride and groom is to create a loving monogamous marriage?

Don't try and change the subject, why would the parent's refusal to attend and support their daughter they believe has sinned, then parents refusing to attend a homosexual marriage ceremony because they believe that their son is committing a sin?

Old 03-30-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Haven't posted much at all in the past 2 weeks, so you are mistaken. Just as you are about a god that you worship.

Hate the concept of a god or gods? How can one hate something one doesn't believe in. You don't hate leprechauns do you? Or Thor? right? You just don't believe in them.

But yes, I hate what religion does to people; it splits families, as the OP video shows. It endorses cruelty in the name of a god. It produces zealots who act out on ancient manuscripts of what supposed fantasy entities told them. It causes real harm to people here on this earth; it divides them into 'them' and 'us', and 'us' are always portrayed as being right.

No, I can't hate something I don't believe in, but I sure can hate what those the do believe perpetuate harm on humanity.
Many things other than religion splits families and many other things other than religion spread hatred and cruelty in this world. On the other hand, religion has for centuries brought hope, charity, forgiveness and love to hundreds of millions who have experience the cruelty, hatred and vengeance of those who do not believe in a Supreme Being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality