Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 04:38 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

The Exorcist was another hugely popular film. Today, most young moviegoers don't take it seriously. But in the fundamentalist 1970's many people did.

But do you think the message could have been a different one than what is portrayed on the surface? On the surface it shows a "good" church battling an evil demon. It was written by a conservative Catholic writer.

But it also shows that in order for good to prevail, the priest (church) must die.

Another famous scene shows a head turning completely around. An impossible thing to happen without the victim dying. There is only one other case I can think of where someone suffered, and conquered, death.

Is that ability to defeat physical death a "lie" from an enemy that will cause people to believe in something that is impossible? Is the organization which presents that lie to people the antithesis of the person who supposedly inspired that organization two thousand years ago? Physical resurrection was a major belief of the Pharisees.

All the people were forced to worship a beast who had appeared to be healed from a mortal wound. (Revelation 13)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 07:28 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
I ahhh.. I'd have to put that in the category of Interpretation. The Obvious Meaning is probably the right one - Satan can do magic, (and only a goddless bastard like me would suspect that the only reason he can is because God allows him to), or even produce mental illusions of stuff that cannot actually happen.

Why he would want to do this is harder to explain, but rather than find subtle interpretations that reverse the apparent message, I'd suggest that it is just a fantasy -fest for hag ridden Catholic who wants to invent a whole hidden world of evil that (as Doug Adams put it) wants to take over the whole world for no good reason, and any more Subtle Interpretation suggest a Projection of what the Catholic Church wants to do, and demonizeS (in a very graphic and and predictable way) anyone who stands in their way.

If you ain't with them, you are against them - and those who are against them are shown to be, if not in league with the most evil stuff this fertile mind can come up with, at least Open to it.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:33 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
The only message it gave me was that one must be Roman Catholic in order to actually believe such ridiculous malarkey.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:29 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The Exorcist was another hugely popular film. Today, most young moviegoers don't take it seriously. But in the fundamentalist 1970's many people did.

But do you think the message could have been a different one than what is portrayed on the surface? On the surface it shows a "good" church battling an evil demon. It was written by a conservative Catholic writer.

But it also shows that in order for good to prevail, the priest (church) must die.

Another famous scene shows a head turning completely around. An impossible thing to happen without the victim dying. There is only one other case I can think of where someone suffered, and conquered, death.

Is that ability to defeat physical death a "lie" from an enemy that will cause people to believe in something that is impossible? Is the organization which presents that lie to people the antithesis of the person who supposedly inspired that organization two thousand years ago? Physical resurrection was a major belief of the Pharisees.

All the people were forced to worship a beast who had appeared to be healed from a mortal wound. (Revelation 13)

You do know that that movie was not a true story and that the main character in the movie was a male that lived in Brentwood, Maryland and that most of the scenes from the movie was depicted in Mount Rainier and Washington, DC.the Catholic priest as depicted in the movie did not really exist. The young man that the story is about admitted later that it was all a fake basically to get attention and to get out of doing some chores that his parents wanting to do. As he became an adult, he later became an engineer for NASA. Good story but not true.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You do know that that movie was not a true story and that the main character in the movie was a male that lived in Brentwood, Maryland and that most of the scenes from the movie was depicted in Mount Rainier and Washington, DC.the Catholic priest as depicted in the movie did not really exist. The young man that the story is about admitted later that it was all a fake basically to get attention and to get out of doing some chores that his parents wanting to do. As he became an adult, he later became an engineer for NASA. Good story but not true.
I didn't know all of that about the boy. But it wouldn't surprise me. I think that a lot of so-called "possession" is really just young people in rebellion against authority figures (parents, church, etc).

I think that even in the Bible a lot of it was ironic and never meant to be taken seriously, especially the New Testament. Today, if someone had never seen a bipolar person or an epileptic person, they would probably naturally describe them as having an evil spirit if they had never encountered an episode.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:24 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Hollywood has its ideas , in reality head turning around is more of a comic trick ....... Then there is the truth of the exorcist which Jesus said .... ``this kind does not come out except by prayer and fasting `` Matthew 17:21 , ..because this person needs to confess Jesus Christ for the judgment of the blood of Jesus to come out faster , so if this person is completely possessed by demons the pray and fasting could work through Christ ........ Demons are real as the works of these spirits of the flesh have filled the jails and hospitals

Old 02-14-2017, 06:02 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

to me, god wouldn't kill the devil, even if he could, because its part of him.

and ... no sinners, no saints.

period.

Moderator cut: Gratuitous political remark removed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-15-2017 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: Needlesss political remark removed

Old 02-14-2017, 11:07 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
The only message it gave me was that one must be Roman Catholic in order to actually believe such ridiculous malarkey.
Do you honestly believe that only Roman Catholics believe in possession by evil spirits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
to me, god wouldn't kill the devil, even if he could, because its part of him.

and ... no sinners, no saints.

period.

Moderator cut: Gratuitous political remark removed.
Moderator cut: Referenced remark in quoted post was removed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-15-2017 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: Removed political remark & reply.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:17 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Do you honestly believe that only Roman Catholics believe in possession by evil spirits?

The version shown in the movie, with Roman Catholic priests and crucifixes and Holy Hosts and Holy Water and other Roman Catholic touches, yes.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
The version shown in the movie, with Roman Catholic priests and crucifixes and Holy Hosts and Holy Water and other Roman Catholic touches, yes.
It's become more of a Protestant ritual since the popularity of the movie in the early 1970's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality