Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 07:02 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Wrong.

Both the Old and New Testaments condemn the practice of “man-stealing,” which is what happened in Africa in the 19th century. Africans were rounded up by slave-hunters, who sold them to slave-traders, who brought them to the New World to work on plantations and farms. This practice is abhorrent to God. In fact, the penalty for such a crime in the Mosaic Law was death: “Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death” (Exodus 21:16). Similarly, in the New Testament, slave-traders are listed among those who are “ungodly and sinful” and are in the same category as those who kill their fathers or mothers, murderers, adulterers and perverts, and liars and perjurers (1 Timothy 1:8–10).
Kidnapping was a capital crime to the Jews. The overwhelming majority of Africans taken for the slave trade were purchased from rival tribes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 07:03 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Wrong.

Both the Old and New Testaments condemn the practice of “man-stealing,” which is what happened in Africa in the 19th century. Africans were rounded up by slave-hunters, who sold them to slave-traders, who brought them to the New World to work on plantations and farms. This practice is abhorrent to God. In fact, the penalty for such a crime in the Mosaic Law was death: “Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death” (Exodus 21:16). Similarly, in the New Testament, slave-traders are listed among those who are “ungodly and sinful” and are in the same category as those who kill their fathers or mothers, murderers, adulterers and perverts, and liars and perjurers (1 Timothy 1:8–10).
I suppose that this just about relates to a life with God giving the way of life or a life without.

Some OT expert might comment, but that looks to me like an injunction against kidnapping people and selling them. The practice of buying and owning slaves through slave teade is not condemned, in fact is that there are commandments about how to buy and own and treat slaves. And of course in the NT there is not a word of condemnation of slavery, but rather an injunction to slaves to obey their masters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Kidnapping was a capital crime to the Jews. The overwhelming majority of Africans taken for the slave trade were purchased from rival tribes.
Or taken in wars. Or own populace surplus to requirements.

This was the legitimate slave trade in the ancient middle east and the Hebrews did it the same as anyone else - even enslaving their own people. Nobody thought it was wrong. Least of all whoever wrote the Commandments. There is injunction against 'coveting' another person's property but no injunction against owning another person AS property.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-24-2017 at 07:20 PM..

Old 02-24-2017, 07:05 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Don't change the subject. You were wrong. The Bible does condemn slavery.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:07 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I suppose that this just about relates to a life with God giving the way of life or a life without.

Some OT expert might comment, but that looks to me like an injunction against kidnapping people and selling them. The practice of buying and owning slaves through slave teade is not condemned, in fact that there commandments about how to buy and own and treat slaves. And of course in the NT there is not a word of condemnation of slavery, but rather an injunction to slaves to obey their masters.
Obviously, you did not read the scripture references.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Obviously, you did not read the scripture references.
As a matter of fact, I did. There has been a prolonged debate about this with various arguments for excusing God for apparently permitting, not to say, endorsing, slavery. Everything from "it meant Indentured servitude" to "it wasn't God's fault - it was men doing it". They all fail. The Bible has commandments about whom you can own as a slave, how much to pay for them and how you should treat them. The NT simply says 'Obey your masters".

Quote:
Don't change the subject. You were wrong. The Bible does condemn slavery.
It isn't changing the subject. If anything, you were as your OT ref is about kidnapping being wrong, just as stealing someone's cows or camel is wrong, but owning another person is not.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:21 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
It seems like atheists are growing in numbers. I'm not really sure if they are, or if it is just that we live in a society where everyone feels compelled to be "out" about everything they think. I have never been able to understand atheists because I have believed in God since I was first walking and talking. I don't know if atheists are born with something different than what I was dealt. I don't know if atheists have to constantly find ways to cling to unbelief. I just know that a universe and life without God seems absurd to me. I read a good article about it just a while ago:

The Absurdity of Life without God | Reasonable Faith

Moderator cut: deleted
I'll take absurdity over earnestness anyday.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:23 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
More unsubstantiated bias-rhetoric. quite clearly Noz has backed up his side of the case and Tzaph hasn't - yet. Your anti -atheist bias has led you to fall over your own feet, yet again.
Noted.
Once I reach 26 thousand posts...you just might feel I post with less bias.
Nozz backed nothing but his bogus analogy that was a fail from the get-go.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
I'll take absurdity over earnestness anyday.
I have a taste for absurdity, but I think being Earnest is important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyuoUwxCLMs

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-24-2017 at 07:35 PM..

Old 02-24-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Noted.
Once I reach 26 thousand posts...you just might feel I post with less bias.
Nozz backed nothing but his bogus analogy that was a fail from the get-go.
The idea that posting a certain amount of tripe means it becomes anything but tripe is sorta on a par with the generality of Theist apologetics; you just add your own brand of malicious mischief...which everyone but you can see, that's what's the hoot. Everyone can see the failure of your arguments and the denial when that is pointed out. And they can also see that Nozz backed up his case but Tzaph has still to do the same with hers.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:54 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
The idea that posting a certain amount of tripe means it becomes anything but tripe is sorta on a par with the generality of Theist apologetics; you just add your own brand of malicious mischief...which everyone but you can see, that's what's the hoot. Everyone can see the failure of your arguments and the denial when that is pointed out. And they can also see that Nozz backed up his case but Tzaph has still to do the same with hers.
Maybe so.
But, ya know...come to think of it...a million posts promoting the LOBBUNE Doctrine would not ever redeem it from being anything but illogical tripe...so, I'm hip to your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality