Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 02:26 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I'm glad not all atheists are as arrogant as some.
Arrogant in what way?

You mean, like in claiming that living without belief in God is absurd? Which is what you did in creating this thread?

You sure have a hard time taking what you dish out so readily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 02:44 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
"Arrogant" is just to easy a dismissal.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:38 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
I would say this statement takes the cake for arrogant, condescending and patronizing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
......So, yes, we can speak to your experience, because we suspect that we understand it better than you do.....

Old 02-28-2017, 03:48 PM

375 posts, read 296,650 times
Quote:
Wrong. You can only speak for your own experience, not mine.
But I do speak for you, like it or not. You are not different, as you are human. You were taught about God. You just won't admit it.

And you failed to answer my challenge question in my OP. Evidence of God working in your life. Something that could not be explained otherwise. No godists I ever asked have been able to do this, so don't feel bad. You guys all say the same damn thing.....That you "just know". Which is not a satisfactory answer. I could say I just know I could run a mile in forty seconds.

LOL.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:00 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
But I do speak for you, like it or not. You are not different, as you are human. You were taught about God. You just won't admit it.
I was not taught about god.
as a small child I was very aware of god.

you do not speak for others.
also it appears you do not listen to others either.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:53 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
That was my original idea! But I am 68 years old, and my wife might not want all that much light in the room at night at this point. 68! Yeah, I know, huh.
And that is why God made silk sleep masks!
68 is the exact reason to have a black light on dayglow stars...relive your youth, man.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:27 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
I'm glad not all atheists are as arrogant as some.
So you can't answer the question and so dismiss it as 'arrogant'. Where is your evidence that it comes from 'nothing'. Explain how you just can't fathom that it comes from 'nothing' yet are perfectly OK with your chosen deity creating it all from 'nothing'. Try supporting your claims rather than dismissing an opposing view as 'arrogant'...because you can't counter it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
How much arrogance does it take to believe, and declare with absolute certainty, that a corpse once came back to life, subsequently flew off up into the sky, and that anyone who does not believe as they do is certainly going to hell for all eternity?
Quite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Arrogant in what way?
It's the standard Christian response when they get clobbered.

Quote:
You mean, like in claiming that living without belief in God is absurd? Which is what you did in creating this thread?

You sure have a hard time taking what you dish out so readily.
Exactly...my dear old prawn! How astonishing it is that they never, ever see in themselves, the arrogance that they accuse others of.

Last edited by Rafius; 03-01-2017 at 05:04 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I would say this statement takes the cake for arrogant, condescending and patronizing:
But my dear Tzaph....it would be that way if it was just an unsupported declaration, but it is not. It was a conclusion supported by explanation, which you conveniently overlook or ignore.

"And what conclusions we come to is that everyone is born without a belief in a god. They may be born with instinctive feelings, but that those feelings are related to a god is not proven. They could be an illusion or delusion, and until a god is validated, illusion and delusion is the preferred (default) theory."

So the conclusion that we are born atheist (n the sense of not having a god -belief) over the claim that we are born with a god -belief (an innate instinctive capacity to anthropomorphize inner and mental feelings) is from looking at factors that theists don't consider.

So the claim that we (or I for one) understand God -instinct better than believers is justified or at least reasonable, and your denunciation of it as "arrogant, condescending and patronizing:" is not.

But you still haven't put my nose out of joint. And I still lack your explanation of what YOU mean by Intuition and how Nozz and I failed (you claimed) to understand the difference between that and human instinctive guesstimations (which can be mistaken) and my ''inspiration', which I reckon is also human guesstimation of inner and mental feelings and which (often demonstrably) can also be wrong.

So it looks to be that you have more to do to save your face. Ball's in your court. Get busy or it will look just like Balls in your court - a not uncommon content of theist apologetic backyards.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-01-2017 at 05:02 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I was not taught about god.
as a small child I was very aware of god.

you do not speak for others.
also it appears you do not listen to others either.
I still think we understand better than you god -believers. There are instinctive feelings of trust and dependence - small animals have that too. And this is used by parents as nature intended and exploited by religions as it didn't. Or maybe it did! the evolutionary -survival - use of religious faith is hardly yet even researched upon, but it can't be ignored as a possible explanation of very early "Godfaith" rather than there actually being a god.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-01-2017 at 05:03 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
And that is why God made silk sleep masks!
68 is the exact reason to have a black light on dayglow stars...relive your youth, man.
assuming you're not kidding us (you did add a smiley(1) I'd ask...are you familiar with the "puddle" analogy? It debunks the "God made everything to suit us" fallacy. Of course, you may not believe that God made a universe without atmosphere (to diffuse light) and a million billion stars just to look pretty for us, and you may not care, so long as it is useful as an advertisement for godfaith.

(1) but that could be a fallback position if the "nature is so wonderful and beautiful...it must prove God..." ploy gets rumbled. "It was only a joke". That's a rhetorical safety -net used quite a lot in theist apologetics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality