Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 06:29 PM

504 posts, read 300,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That's easy. You are hardened against the CONCEPT of God and belittle any and ALL beliefs in God as a result. It is disrespectful and insulting to believers simply because you disdain the very concept of God. You have a right to believe as you do about the concept, but NOT to disrespect and insult those who disagree with you.
What makes something one believes in worthy of respect or admiration? Does that extend to radical politics? What about racial hatred groups? After all, it's just a philosophy, right?

IF religion over the centuries or even now was benign, and didn't harm people by their teachings or actions, then who cares what their belief was? Some people believe in fairies as being real, but none expect admiration or respect because of their believes, do they? They also have never started wars, pogroms, crusades or damned others who were "not like them", have they.

No, people of faith or believe deserve no respect for their beliefs. They earn respect by being upstanding and moral human beings, who are humanists and care about their fellow human race. They don't earn respect because of faith. There is no reason to do so, is there?

Old 03-29-2017, 06:37 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
That's easy. You are hardened against the CONCEPT of God and belittle any and ALL beliefs in God as a result. It is disrespectful and insulting to believers simply because you disdain the very concept of God. You have a right to believe as you do about the concept, but NOT to disrespect and insult those who disagree with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
What makes something one believes in worthy of respect or admiration? Does that extend to radical politics? What about racial hatred groups? After all, it's just a philosophy, right?

IF religion over the centuries or even now was benign, and didn't harm people by their teachings or actions, then who cares what their belief was? Some people believe in fairies as being real, but none expect admiration or respect because of their believes, do they? They also have never started wars, pogroms, crusades or damned others who were "not like them", have they.

No, people of faith or believe deserve no respect for their beliefs. They earn respect by being upstanding and moral human beings, who are humanists and care about their fellow human race. They don't earn respect because of faith. There is no reason to do so, is there?
Search your heart or whatever serves as your source of upstanding and moral treatment of human beings and ask "Why simple disagreement is not sufficient?" Why do you need to denigrate or otherwise insult and disrespect those you disagree with? "After all, it's just a philosophy, right?" All those actions you cite are deserving of such rebuke, but why is the mere expression of belief deserving of the same???

Old 03-29-2017, 08:56 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Which doesn't explain why your words are not neutral and indifferent. No, you use terms like "stupid" and "BS" which only reveals to me that buried beneath the rhetoric is a hardened heart against God. Science can't explain who we are or why we were born with the need to love or even what love is.

Also, for the nth time to Nozz, I'm doing talking to you. DONE.. It's been over a year since I bothered to give any attention to your extremely always negative condescending garbage and I won't start now.
I have a low tolerance for stupidity and <bleep>. Get it right JeffyBase. What you Christians and religious people in general don't seem to get is that atheists see and know the harms that religious superstitious crap that you and Pastor Vizio spout should be railed against. Care to dispute the 2 accounts Genesis has? Care to address my previous point about no evidence of a worldwide flood? Care to provide evidence of talking snakes? Here is another person WAY BEYOND your intelligence level who I'm sure has a hardened heart as you put it but puts your stupid beliefs to shame also. Science says we are animals and we are. Science says we are mammals and we are. Science has provided substantial evidence of how we came to exist via evolution. Science can look at our brains while we experience emotions as they are happening. Don't play that stupid old theist game that anything YOU OR OTHERS deem unexplainable, MUST BE God or religious in nature. Until there is substantial, testable and creditable evidence for anything, the proper answer is WE CURRENTLY DON'T KNOW. The God of the gaps arguments are such tired old trope. BTW, you and Pastor Vizio need to do a local zoo visit together. Visit the reptile house and get video footage of the talking snake exhibit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQox1hQrABQ

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-30-2017 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: language

Old 03-29-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Search your heart or whatever serves as your source of upstanding and moral treatment of human beings and ask "Why simple disagreement is not sufficient?" Why do you need to denigrate or otherwise insult and disrespect those you disagree with? "After all, it's just a philosophy, right?" All those actions you cite are deserving of such rebuke, but why is the mere expression of belief deserving of the same???

Do you really see those that promulgate their beliefs are benign? The one's who rail against homosexuals, lesbians, people of other faiths or anyone not following their particular fantasy shrouded as a religion. Slavery? Those who believe in some god say that their scriptures allow it and that was the way it was back then. The woman who didn't scream loud enough while being raped? Tough, their scriptures say that she should be executed. They support this horror show of a religion, yet they are not to be questioned as to their morality?

On the other hand, we have some people here of faith who see that some parts of those religious texts ARE horrible, and should never be taught as being any sort of truth. They are the Protestant Christians who live their life as humanists, they are the Mormons Christians who live their live a humanists, and they are the Pagans who live their lives as humanists.

They do not ask for special pleading.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:30 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
[/b]
Do you really see those that promulgate their beliefs are benign? The one's who rail against homosexuals, lesbians, people of other faiths or anyone not following their particular fantasy shrouded as a religion. Slavery? Those who believe in some god say that their scriptures allow it and that was the way it was back then. The woman who didn't scream loud enough while being raped? Tough, their scriptures say that she should be executed. They support this horror show of a religion, yet they are not to be questioned as to their morality?
On the other hand, we have some people here of faith who see that some parts of those religious texts ARE horrible, and should never be taught as being any sort of truth. They are the Protestant Christians who live their life as humanists, they are the Mormons Christians who live their live a humanists, and they are the Pagans who live their lives as humanists.
They do not ask for special pleading.
I asked a very limited question without special pleading as it relates to your professed humanist values. When all that is present are verbal disagreements and expressions of beliefs, why are "non-humanist" insults, derision, denigration and name-calling appropriate????

Old 03-29-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I asked a very limited question without special pleading as it relates to your professed humanist values. When all that is present are verbal disagreements and expressions of beliefs, why are "non-humanist" insults, derision, denigration and name-calling appropriate????
Perhaps you can advise what posts would constitute your description of "insults, derision, denigration and name-calling appropriate"?

Old 03-30-2017, 06:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Default I marvel....

Is there no thread or subject which can't end up with Mystic being insulting about someone who refused to accept his plonking Faith -claims without some decent validation?

Old 03-30-2017, 08:44 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I have a low tolerance for stupidity and <bleep>. Get it right JeffyBase. What you Christians and religious people in general don't seem to get is that atheists see and know the harms that religious superstitious crap that you and Pastor Vizio spout should be railed against. Care to dispute the 2 accounts Genesis has? Care to address my previous point about no evidence of a worldwide flood? Care to provide evidence of talking snakes?
No, I don't care to provide evidence because your mind is made up. There is absolutely nothing I could present that you would accept and not try to poke holes in (which you can do for any kind of evidence).

I will say for talking snakes, that makes perfect sense to me. Before God created Eve, Adam's companions were the animals so I can see why God would give the animals the ability to talk and converse with Adam. The introduction of sin and death into this realm changed everything even the animal kingdom.

I will continue to rail against atheism which has caused much more death and pain throughout history and leads many to suicide with despair and no hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post

Here is another person WAY BEYOND your intelligence level who I'm sure has a hardened heart as you put it but puts your stupid beliefs to shame also. Science says we are animals and we are. Science says we are mammals and we are. Science has provided substantial evidence of how we came to exist via evolution. Science can look at our brains while we experience emotions as they are happening. Don't play that stupid old theist game that anything YOU OR OTHERS deem unexplainable, MUST BE God or religious in nature. Until there is substantial, testable and creditable evidence for anything, the proper answer is WE CURRENTLY DON'T KNOW. The God of the gaps arguments are such tired old trope. BTW, you and Pastor Vizio need to do a local zoo visit together. Visit the reptile house and get video footage of the talking snake exhibit.
Man is fallible so therefore science is only as good as whatever fallible man perceives. Perceptions can be deceiving. Test results can be deceiving. Science fails more than it succeeds. I'm not willing to gamble my eternal destination on something so flimsy. There is a mountain of evidence that practically screams to me that I'm not an animal. I'm a human being. I wouldn't have a need to love if I were an animal. I would just be contempt with eating, pooping and mating like every other "animal".

Old 03-30-2017, 08:52 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
I will say for talking snakes, that makes perfect sense to me. Before God created Eve, Adam's companions were the animals so I can see why God would give the animals the ability to talk and converse with Adam. The introduction of sin and death into this realm changed everything even the animal kingdom.
Lol. You worship this thing

Old 03-30-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:

And how do you explain talking donkeys after all other donkeys and animals lost your supposed ability to talk?

Quote:
Man is fallible so therefore science is only as good as whatever fallible man perceives. Perceptions can be deceiving. Test results can be deceiving. Science fails more than it succeeds. I'm not willing to gamble my eternal destination on something so flimsy. There is a mountain of evidence that practically screams to me that I'm not an animal. I'm a human being. I wouldn't have a need to love if I were an animal. I would just be contempt with eating, pooping and mating like every other "animal".
Yeah, you, I and the rest of the human race are animals. Sophisticated animals (most of us are), but animals nevertheless.

You don't understand science, do you? At all. That is what believing in ancient myths does to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality