Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 02:25 PM

392 posts, read 248,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You'll have to define what you mean by Christian life.
That life which promotes what was summed up in Matthew 22:37-40:

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 02:47 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Some come to see the first as irrational, the second as impractical.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:14 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcastg4 View Post

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
I'm not understanding what point you are trying to make.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:41 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
I have a question: who decides who the winner is? Or does this just drone on and on until everyone is tired of the topic, goes back to their various lives, until the next clever poster comes along and says, hey, let's have a debate about god?

I have another question: does anyone ever actually change his/her mind based on someone's post here?

Old 02-28-2017, 07:43 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timray View Post
Greetings!

Part 1 (For the Atheists to address):

1. Imagine (for a minute or two) that you are a Christian,
Imagine that you're in a Debate Online (City-Data.com, Religion And Spirituality Forum)
This Debate is on "The Existence Of God".

What argument(s) (as far as Evidence For The Existence Of God is concerned), would you present to the "Opposition" in your attempt(s) to "convince" them that there are Sound reasons to believe in God's existence?

Part 2 (This Is for the Christians to address):

2. Imagine for a moment or two that you're an Atheist
Imagine that you're Online (City-Data.com probably). You're in the same Debate as presented in
Part 1 above.

What argument(s) would you present to the "Opposition", in your attempt(s) to "convince" them that there are Good reasons to not believe or to suspend belief (in God's existence)....until convincing evidence shows up?

Sincere arguments (and opinions) from both sides will be appreciated.
1. Look at the trees, so pretty, so designed. Look at the universal constants, so perfect for this particular universe. What came before the Big Bang then? I feel the Holy Spirit in me and if you tried to feel it in you [as a Christian] and believed you felt it too, you would. I couldn't bare to live without knowing that I would be immortal and have a blissful eternal afterlife. Etc.

2. So many religions out there, all rely on faith, like yours. One Perfect God is a worse thing than Two Perfect Gods, and so on, it's an infinite regress and thus nothing is perfect, as was claimed. Religions aren't supposed to change (they are supposed to be true as they were "originally") and yet they do change based on what the followers want to believe/interpret. Etc.

I agree more with the latter. And I side more with the Buddhist religions, especially the ones who don't try to be lazy by relying on theistic beliefs to ignore or side-step the few (but sometimes emotionally impactful) negative realities of life.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 02-28-2017 at 08:06 PM..

Old 02-28-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
As a Christian it would demean God to even try to tell others that God does not exist and I could not do that to God , Just like saying that my spouse does not exist where My spouse would witness the lie ......................

[...]
Yes, I'm sure your spouse would shed many tears and go into a murderous rage if you even dared to try to consider a hypothetical where he never existed or you never met him. But many other people's husbands and wives aren't as emotionally fragile / sensitive.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcastg4 View Post

How would you ever stop being Muslim if you followed the biggest commandment in Islam?

What is means is, that if you think being a "true Christian" can't ever get you out of Christianity, it is also true that being a "true Muslim" in the same sense, can never get you out of Islam.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not understanding what point you are trying to make.
He is asking you if you felt like you loved [the Christian] God with all your emotions, thoughts, and identity right before you deconverted.

Of course, I don't see any mountains flying by, so no "real" Christians are around in this universe; at least according to that definition. Jesus clearly says if you had "real" faith, you'd move mountains and be immune to real/ingested poison, etc. This is one of the reasons that Christians used to say their martyrs "miraculously" survived all of those different capital punishment attempts for blasphemy and seditiousness... until that very last one.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:46 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
He is asking you if you felt like you loved [the Christian] God with all your emotions, thoughts, and identity right before you deconverted.

Of course, I don't see any mountains flying by, so no "real" Christians are around in this universe; at least according to that definition. Jesus clearly says if you had "real" faith, you'd move mountains and be immune to real/ingested poison, etc. This is one of the reasons that Christians used to say their martyrs "miraculously" survived all of those different capital punishment attempts for blasphemy and seditiousness... until that very last one.
In that case the answer is I felt he loved me that way. That is the only way I was unafraid enough to let go.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
In that case the answer is I felt he loved me that way. That is the only way I was unafraid enough to let go.
You felt that [the triune-Jesus/Bible] God loved YOU with all of It's emotions, thoughts, and identity? Well, I can tell why it was easy for you to depart from the false Bible god: You NEVER KNEW Him!

Once you got to know the Bible god you must have gotten to realize how fake, weak, violent, aggressive, and evil it is variously portrayed within the boundaries of the particular cage and idol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality