Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,879,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Um, not necessarily.

Apostolic means an unbroken line of priesthood back to the beginning of the church. Catholics, Anglicans, and Greek Orthodox consider themselves to be apostolic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostolic_succession
There is a difference between the concept of apostolic SUCCESSION and simple "apostolic" which refers to what is perceived as the direct teachings of the Apostles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 10:12 AM

1,961 posts, read 1,919,011 times
just run away

Old 03-15-2017, 10:30 AM

27,997 posts, read 29,833,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
A new co-worker told me they attend an apostolic church.

Never heard of it; what are they like? Do they proselytize? Are they very conservative in their attitude and behavior e.g. dress code? This person seems to dress very "modestly." What about the weird talking in tongues thing, do they do that? Anything else special about them?

Just curious and trying to brace myself in case this person might wanna share the Christian stuff with me.
Here's the official website of the Apostolic Christian Church, in case you would like to familiarize yourself with their beliefs and practices. It's probably a more reliable source than any of us here on City-Data are. I'd suggest that if this new co-worker decides he or she wants to "share the Christian stuff" with you, you simply tell him you'd prefer to keep religion out of the workplace. There's a good chance you'll never have encounter anything more unnerving than that, and this new co-worker might even be an okay person. You never know.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:07 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,047,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Um, not necessarily.

Apostolic means an unbroken line of priesthood back to the beginning of the church. Catholics, Anglicans, and Greek Orthodox consider themselves to be apostolic.

None of those denominations would really need to have their laity calling them "an apostolic church"... The laity would most likely say "I go to Catholic/Anglican/Orthodox church." But, I guess, there is always that chance that this particular individual simply likes their "regular denomination" church's claims of apostolic succession.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Here's the official website of the Apostolic Christian Church, in case you would like to familiarize yourself with their beliefs and practices. It's probably a more reliable source than any of us here on City-Data are. I'd suggest that if this new co-worker decides he or she wants to "share the Christian stuff" with you, you simply tell him you'd prefer to keep religion out of the workplace. There's a good chance you'll never have encounter anything more unnerving than that, and this new co-worker might even be an okay person. You never know.
Well, a personal website would be a more "reliable" source for what they want to say and for propaganda, that is for sure. If you care to know about any legitimate negatives you would go outside the horse's mouth, cuz the horse is only going to say nice things about itself or bad things that it has/is "tried/trying to change."

Old 03-15-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Well, a personal website would be a more "reliable" source for what they want to say and for propaganda, that is for sure. If you care to know about any legitimate negatives you would go outside the horse's mouth, cuz the horse is only going to say nice things about itself or bad things that it has/is "tried/trying to change."
I'm not sure what you mean by the phrase "a personal website." Do you mean a blog belonging to a member of the Apostolic Christian Church? In my experience, you're never going to get an objective picture of a religion by relying on its enemies for your information. If I wanted to learn about Judaism, I'd go to a Jew for my information, not a Muslim (and visa versa). Sure, the Jew might not tell me everything about his religion, but a Muslim (especially one who really, really doesn't like Jews) would almost certainly paint Judaism in the most unfavorable light possible. I'd rather give the practitioner of the religion himself the benefit of the doubt until he gives me reason not to trust him to be honest.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,298,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver
hi MinivanDriver,
But the meaning of Apostolic and Ap. succession is diff from the 'Apostolic Church' itself...

Old 03-16-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by the phrase "a personal website." Do you mean a blog belonging to a member of the Apostolic Christian Church? In my experience, you're never going to get an objective picture of a religion by relying on its enemies for your information. If I wanted to learn about Judaism, I'd go to a Jew for my information, not a Muslim (and visa versa). Sure, the Jew might not tell me everything about his religion, but a Muslim (especially one who really, really doesn't like Jews) would almost certainly paint Judaism in the most unfavorable light possible. I'd rather give the practitioner of the religion himself the benefit of the doubt until he gives me reason not to trust him to be honest.
I go everywhere for my information. I want the evidence and thoughts from the propagandists, the enemies, and the neutral observers.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I go everywhere for my information. I want the evidence and thoughts from the propagandists, the enemies, and the neutral observers.
When it comes to religion, there is no such thing as "neutral." You're kidding yourself if you think there is.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
When it comes to religion, there is no such thing as "neutral." You're kidding yourself if you think there is.
Nope, there is neutral. For example, I'm "positive" when it comes to Buddhism (as a general non-theistic concept), negative against Abrahamic sects, and negative against Vedic sects. Neutral for Shintoism and Neutral for Xian.

Neutral does often come with only basic/general information. But once you study something deeply you often either like it or you don't (and that thing you study either tells you not to like other things or it doesn't).

The full spectrum of thought and evidence is very important to get a hold of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality