U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 04:25 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,933,573 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm back again.

I'm still at the point where I have no idea what I want to do as a career (I'm 17) and joining the British Army is just one of the many things I've been thinking of. I was having a daydream the other day and I was thinking, if you believe in hell then do you believe that a soldier who dies in battle would go there because he or she was out to try and kill the enemy and was therefore breaking a Commandment? Its just that all the headstones of the soldiers who died in the World Wars were/are Cross shaped (apart from the markers for graves belonging to those of other religions, however they too had religious gravestones) and I was just wondering why that would be if they died breaking God's rules?

Any input would be greatly appreciated because I honestly have no idea myself.

boycew02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 08:50 AM

8,743 posts, read 6,180,863 times
I'd like to see some explanation for that because back when I was struggling with religion and religious issues, that was one of the questions I had and I've never gotten an answer. Now that I don't believe in any of it, I got my answer but what do religious people say happens?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:57 AM

6,715 posts, read 12,046,563 times
I know this wasn't directed necessarily at me since I'm not a believer in hell, but I'd just like to say that the world is encased with the tombs of soldiers who have died thinking that they were justified in fighting for their god...

Just some things to think about....

On a brighter note, and this is more why I wanted to respond... I can tell you that just joining the military alone does not mean it's an automatic death sentence. Are your chances increased? Well, yeah, but I think the benefits from military service outweigh the risks (depending on what you're planning to do). Good on ya I say! It'll make you grow up (and become more of a kid somehow) than anything you'll ever experience in your life. Don't look at it so glumly although I know the thought kind of persists...

Old 03-06-2008, 09:55 AM

2,955 posts, read 6,632,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
I was having a daydream the other day and I was thinking, if you believe in hell then do you believe that a soldier who dies in battle would go there because he or she was out to try and kill the enemy and was therefore breaking a Commandment? Its just that all the headstones of the soldiers who died in the World Wars were/are Cross shaped (apart from the markers for graves belonging to those of other religions, however they too had religious gravestones) and I was just wondering why that would be if they died breaking God's rules?

Any input would be greatly appreciated because I honestly have no idea myself.

boycew02
There's gotta be a faction of pacifist Christians who believe that killing any person is an automatic sentence to Hell.
But the vast majority believe that killing in the service of one's nation is A-OK. Individual governments certainly promote both killing and religion to their soldiers.
On a more curmudgeonly note: Religion is often the number one thing that governments use to motivate people to kill in their name ("We have God on our side to help us crush the evildoers! etc..."). They see no problem with that - do you?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,703,937 times
There are conscientious objectors who have served, and refuse to carry a weapon because of their beliefs.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:02 AM

No b.frank I see no problem with that ..LOL

it's a contradiction like so many, if god is all loving and great and he's allowing and even helping you crush the enemy(who is human just like you and created by this same god)..what happened to 'turn your other cheek'?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 AM

5,165 posts, read 8,084,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
There are conscientious objectors who have served, and refuse to carry a weapon because of their beliefs.
I'm one of the most peaceful, nonviolent people you'll ever meet, and I can still give tons of reasons that refusing to carry a weapon is illogical. That's not the subject in this thread though.

To the OP: It really depends on the sect of religion. Some Christians oppose war while others don't. Christians are not unified, so they don't all believe the same things. Fundamentalist Christians are more likely to support war against other religions. At the same time, there are Christian pacifists.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:08 AM

so this god is right now at war in Iraq (over some oil)against people who believe in the same god?...if he's with the soldiers of both sides of the conflict and guiding them, he's doing a bad job getting so many innocents killed. And bush who believes in god; god is on his side too..see this is where I stumble again...it makes no sense, sorry

Old 03-06-2008, 10:12 AM

5,165 posts, read 8,084,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
so this god is right now at war in Iraq (over some oil)against people who believe in the same god?...if he's with the soldiers of both sides of the conflict and guiding them, he's doing a bad job getting so many innocents killed. And bush who believes in god; god is on his side too..see this is where I stumble again...it makes no sense, sorry
I wouldn't say that all Christians or Muslims believe that though. There are pacifists on both sides.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:15 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,933,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
On a brighter note, and this is more why I wanted to respond... I can tell you that just joining the military alone does not mean it's an automatic death sentence. Are your chances increased? Well, yeah, but I think the benefits from military service outweigh the risks (depending on what you're planning to do). Good on ya I say! It'll make you grow up (and become more of a kid somehow) than anything you'll ever experience in your life. Don't look at it so glumly although I know the thought kind of persists...
Hehe, nah I know it's not an automatic death sentence (otherwise I wouldn't have been considering it for so long ) but dying is still something that crosses probably every new recruit's mind at one point or another. Thanks for the encouragement though, if I do go for it I'll try not to get dead.

And thanks to everyone for all the other replies too, it's interesting hearing what everyone has to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality