Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 07:13 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times

Advertisements

we like to party. I all for making up reasons for the family to get together just long enough to remember why we don't hang together in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 07:46 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh for God's sake.

Why does this happen every year that somebody feels obligated to come prancing in here as if no one has EVER posted this same stupid crap 100 times before?

F for originality.
I love the bunny shaped cakes with coconut frosting..

Seriously, it is a converted PAGAN holiday designed to control the lasses and used by the church to impart shame and guilt while calling people to listen to magical spoken spells.

If there is anything we need to remember, it is that Christ is with us always, chocolate eggs are good, reindeer are fun and we do not need EASTER and CHRISTMAS plastered on manufactured items to commercialize what we claim is sacred...

Old 04-02-2017, 01:55 PM

10,023 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
In our culture, Easter means one of two things. It means the celebration of the resurrection of Christ or it means celebrating egg-laying bunnies and chocolate eggs. Most people don't give a second thought into why we have these traditions.
Easter is actually the celebration of the Babylonian sex goddess Ishtar. The eggs and bunnies are a symbol of fertility or sex. Two aspects of our traditions come from the fact that the son of Ishtar was supposedly obsessed with rabbits. The easter eggs come from the tradition of human sacrifice and dipping the eggs in blood after the sacrifice to Ishtar.
Out of all the holidays we celebrate, this has to be the one that makes me the most uneasy. Yes, I know that the contemporary meaning is celebrating the resurrection of Christ as well as candy for kids, but the Bible lays out its own feast, the Passover, which is punctuated by the feast of the First Fruits (egg-laying bunnies need not apply).
First of all, the fact that we have a holiday honoring Ishtar and egg-laying bunnies should make anybody pause in the first place. Second of all, if the Bible lays out the correct way to celebrate the resurrection of Christ, why does Christian culture and broader society ignore that and instead celebrate the lunacy of Ishtar? From a Christian or secular perspective, I see no reason this holiday should be a part of our culture.
But, the Bible does Not lay out any correct way to celebrate the resurrection of Christ.
Jesus gave us only one command in remembrance of him according to Luke 22:19.
We are to remember the day of Jesus' death ( Nisan the 14th day on the Jewish calendar )
As an anniversary does Not always fall on a Friday, then the day of Jesus' death would Not always come on a Friday.
Rather, as the annual Passover date is on a different day of the week, so too the day of Jesus' death would Not always fall on a Friday.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:27 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thanks - yes, while I was doing a Job on Easter misery, I was thinking of the Russian orthodox feast, and by a superhuman effort resisted the temptation to post Rimsky's overture.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:51 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Seriously, it is a converted PAGAN holiday designed to control the lasses and used by the church to impart shame and guilt while calling people to listen to magical spoken spells.

If there is anything we need to remember, it is that Christ is with us always, chocolate eggs are good, reindeer are fun and we do not need EASTER and CHRISTMAS plastered on manufactured items to commercialize what we claim is sacred...
And there was I not knowing you were even a Christian.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:54 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
And there was I not knowing you were even a Christian.
Many have said the same of Christ as well...THANKS

Old 04-03-2017, 07:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Many have said the same of Christ as well...THANKS
I've known a few Christians I could share a flat with. In fact for a time I DID share a flat with a Christian..of sorts...

Old 04-03-2017, 08:09 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
In our culture, Easter means one of two things. It means the celebration of the resurrection of Christ or it means celebrating egg-laying bunnies and chocolate eggs. Most people don't give a second thought into why we have these traditions.

Easter is actually the celebration of the Babylonian sex goddess Ishtar. The eggs and bunnies are a symbol of fertility or sex. Two aspects of our traditions come from the fact that the son of Ishtar was supposedly obsessed with rabbits. The easter eggs come from the tradition of human sacrifice and dipping the eggs in blood after the sacrifice to Ishtar.

Out of all the holidays we celebrate, this has to be the one that makes me the most uneasy. Yes, I know that the contemporary meaning is celebrating the resurrection of Christ as well as candy for kids, but the Bible lays out its own feast, the Passover, which is punctuated by the feast of the First Fruits (egg-laying bunnies need not apply).

First of all, the fact that we have a holiday honoring Ishtar and egg-laying bunnies should make anybody pause in the first place. Second of all, if the Bible lays out the correct way to celebrate the resurrection of Christ, why does Christian culture and broader society ignore that and instead celebrate the lunacy of Ishtar? From a Christian or secular perspective, I see no reason this holiday should be a part of our culture.
You know, back in December I decided I'd try to educate the grandkids about Christmas, so I started telling them about Saturnalia. The six-year old got bored and just wanted to go see Santa. (The one at the mall is the REAL Santa. All the others are fakes.)

When it's time to color Easter Eggs, I'll be sure to tell them about Ishtar and the symbols of fertility, sex human sacrifice & blood, but I'm guessing the 3 year-old won't care much about that and will probably just want to color another egg.

Get a grip, people. Christmas is not about Saturnalia and Easter is not about Ishtar.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:16 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
youse guys?...You from Jursey or sumtin?...
Yup. I don't actually SAY"youse guys", but it's a cute stereotype. And it's "sum'm".

Old 04-03-2017, 08:20 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:

It means it's a day when it's OK to eat candy! I do church in the a.m. It's a fun church morning with lots of songs and flowers followed by a potluck brunch. Then dinner with Mom. And candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality