Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,344 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am wanting opinions from religious folk. The question is, do you believe that morality comes from the Bible (or your religious book) or is it in some way innate or "written on your heart"?

Background for the question. I was watching an interview between Joe Rogan and Milo Yiannopoulos. Milo states that Judeo-Christian cultures are the only good cultures and all other cultures are bad. After being questioned on this, he says that "all values comes from the Bible".

I was really taken aback, because in other videos I've seen of Milo Yiannopoulos, he is very flamboyantly gay. He has no problem making jokes about his sex-life and such. Biblically speaking, this would definitely be a problem. So it makes me wonder why he would make a statement like that.

I brought this up with an atheistic friend who seems to like Milo, and he said that Milo was correct that all values come from the Bible. I thought this was even more shocking. An atheist can believe all values come from the Bible? I'm not sure if he just didn't want Milo to be wrong or if he actually believes that; but all the same.

Do you have to believe that values come from the Bible to be a Christian? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know if there's scripture indicating that you do. It seems like you could be a Christian and still acknowledge that you know without the Bible that it would be bad to commit murder.

So, opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 09:04 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,319 times
A moral person is a person that understands that the universe does not revolve around their ego.

A civilized society is a society whose laws do not revolve around any one person or group of people.

The more a society treats everyone as equals the more civilized it is

Old 04-03-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
A moral person is a person that understands that the universe does not revolve around their ego.
But do you know this innately or are your values somehow externally informed?

Old 04-03-2017, 10:39 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Morality comes from our creator.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:44 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,319 times
What if Satan created us?

Old 04-03-2017, 11:02 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Your creator commands its creations to kill infants and suckling.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Thanks!
You are Christian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Your creator commands its creations to kill infants and suckling.
So I'm assuming you must think morality is innate?

Old 04-03-2017, 11:24 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Hello,

I am wanting opinions from religious folk. The question is, do you believe that morality comes from the Bible (or your religious book) or is it in some way innate or "written on your heart"?

Background for the question. I was watching an interview between Joe Rogan and Milo Yiannopoulos. Milo states that Judeo-Christian cultures are the only good cultures and all other cultures are bad. After being questioned on this, he says that "all values comes from the Bible".

I was really taken aback, because in other videos I've seen of Milo Yiannopoulos, he is very flamboyantly gay. He has no problem making jokes about his sex-life and such. Biblically speaking, this would definitely be a problem. So it makes me wonder why he would make a statement like that.

I brought this up with an atheistic friend who seems to like Milo, and he said that Milo was correct that all values come from the Bible. I thought this was even more shocking. An atheist can believe all values come from the Bible? I'm not sure if he just didn't want Milo to be wrong or if he actually believes that; but all the same.

Do you have to believe that values come from the Bible to be a Christian? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know if there's scripture indicating that you do. It seems like you could be a Christian and still acknowledge that you know without the Bible that it would be bad to commit murder.

So, opinions?
It is innate to want things to be the way you would prefer them to be...based upon your personal opinion of "good & bad" or "right & wrong".
It doesn't matter what basis one uses to form their opinion...it is all subjective.
Some book is no better or worse a basis as any other basis for forming ones subjective opinion.
Whatever is "moral" to you...that is what's moral.To you. No two think exactly the same about it...and no ones "moral standard" is of any greater or lesser merit than any another holds.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:38 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Hello,

So, opinions?
Apart from God, human morality is very self-centered based. All actions are done with the sinful nature perspective of "how does X benefit me?"

Old 04-03-2017, 11:45 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Hello,

So, opinions?
"Bible" is SUCH a general term and of no value in such a discussion, so let's differentiate between the Old Testament (which Paul characterized as "a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ) and the New Testament which has a different perspective from the Books of the Law. Just as a child needs specific rules to guide and may well not be able to understand why any more than to merit the reply, "Because I'm the Daddy," the Law was a great step forward in relating to God as opposed to the the concepts of catering to the various and changeable or even contradictory whims of the very much anthropomorphic concepts of god(s) at the time an place. Here was a set of rules that gave a solid foundation for a telationship, even if the reasons for the rules were not understood.

When we "grow up" (if we ever do) we are capable of understanding the reasons for laws and rules and can change them when they prove to have a poor or false basis. What Jesus taught was a principle to direct our thinking in thayt regard and that is the concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation (not that there are no conflicts, but they have to be balanced for the benefit of the whole society). This was touched on by grandpa and is the basis for Christians who actually ARE led by the Spirit rather than looking for specific rules to impose on others in the NT.

From an evolutionary standpoint we have to look at what has to have been a development to improve the viability of our species and we see that this is often accomplished in "lower" form through the cooperation of individuals as the separate cells of a hydra have a better chance for nourishment in its cooperative form than the individual cells would have on their own in their environment. The ultimate in such a system is exemplified in a beehive. Humans have not reached that point (thank God) but have to learn to balance the individual drive to success with thew value of cooperation in a society. Ultimately, the best way to acheive that is to ensure the capability of all to reach their potential in the group. We are a long way from that, but it is a worthwhile goal.

Choose your own basis, but seriously consider what is to everyone's ultimate benefit as far as survival and fulfillment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality