Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:52 PM

719 posts, read 2,665,741 times

Advertisements

First off, I just want to make it clear that I understand that "religion bashing" is more appropriate. However, "Christian bashing" seems much more applicable as that is the main type of bashing I see so readily. By Christian bashing, I'm referring to those idiotic comments like "I'm too smart to believe in fairy tails," or, my favorite, "CHRISTIANS ARE TEH INTOLERANTS," (LAWLZ @ the irony!), etc, etc.

Okay, so religion bashers are generally atheists, right? Because Christian bashers can't be agnostics, since by being agnostic, one is asserting the principle that nothing can be known about the existence or nature of anything spiritual, in which case one wouldn't be so inclined to dismiss any religion in such an immature and closed-minded manner.

Well, that's all fine and dandy, but by being a religion-bashing atheist, you're also being a hypocrite. I understand that atheism is the complete lack and denial of religion and spirituality, but the complete denial has to be based on faith (or as you religion bashers like to call it, blind faith). Why? Okay, this is based on a basic assumption, being that the majority of atheists are atheists because of the lack of proof of anything spiritual. Fair enough, but by dismissing said thing because of lack of proof, you're also placing faith in the complete impossibility of there being said occurrences, even without there being proof said thing's impossibility.

So that is why Bible bashing not only makes you look intolerant, short-sighted, and ignorant, but also makes you look like an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 06:59 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
First off, I just want to make it clear that I understand that "religion bashing" is more appropriate. However, "Christian bashing" seems much more applicable as that is the main type of bashing I see so readily. By Christian bashing, I'm referring to those idiotic comments like "I'm too smart to believe in fairy tails," or, my favorite, "CHRISTIANS ARE TEH INTOLERANTS," (LAWLZ @ the irony!), etc, etc.

Okay, so religion bashers are generally atheists, right? Because Christian bashers can't be agnostics, since by being agnostic, one is asserting the principle that nothing can be known about the existence or nature of anything spiritual, in which case one wouldn't be so inclined to dismiss any religion in such an immature and closed-minded manner.

Well, that's all fine and dandy, but by being a religion-bashing atheist, you're also being a hypocrite. I understand that atheism is the complete lack and denial of religion and spirituality, but the complete denial has to be based on faith (or as you religion bashers like to call it, blind faith). Why? Okay, this is based on a basic assumption, being that the majority of atheists are atheists because of the lack of proof of anything spiritual. Fair enough, but by dismissing said thing because of lack of proof, you're also placing faith in the complete impossibility of there being said occurrences, even without there being proof said thing's impossibility.

So that is why Bible bashing not only makes you look intolerant, short-sighted, and ignorant, but also makes you look like an idiot.
I am not intolerant, I don't care what you want to believe or what religion you choose to live by. I only know what I don't want in my life.

To say I don't believe the same thing you do, does not mean that I bash all christians or all religious people. I have some very good friends who are religious. There are idiots everywhere.

As for being close minded, I am, I have heard it all before. Calling people who believe as I do ignorant, or idiots or intolerant isn't going to do anything but reinforce some beliefs that I personally hold, that people who are religious, tend to evaluate things more on an emotional basis rather then a logical one.

Your rant is kind of sad and misplaced if you want to know the truth. Whether your words are correct or not, that is not the kind of company I want to keep.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:03 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
I was hoping to read this thread and find something logical in your post at least. I didn't. I find it funny how you think the fairy tales title is only used against Christianity. You ever heard the saying that if you get offended by something, it probably applies to you? You just classified not believing in fairy tales as Christian bashing, which to logical people, makes you look like someone who criticizes their own faith. In addition, you, like most people on this forum, gave a false definition of atheism and agnosticism. That makes your points invalid because you're arguing against positions that aren't real. There is no such thing as neutrality when it comes to belief. You either believe or you don't. Agnostics just hold the position that you can't know the truth, but after that, it still comes down to whether you believe or not. Theists can be agnostics too. If you knew the actual definition, you'd know that. Atheism is only a lack of belief, so your complete denial statement means nothing..

Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
In all seriousness and I'm not trying to bash anything...

I suggest the OP read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Even though I do find him a tad bit crass at times, he does address each and every one of your 'points' in his book with much more eloquence and depth than I could hope to explain on an internet forum.

If you're really interested in an answer, and you're not doing your own 'bashing', than I suggest you pick this book up and read it.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:17 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
Quote:

As Haaziq has already pointed out, you misunderstand what atheism is. Atheism simply means one has a lack of belief in God(s). It does not require faith to not believe in something that has no evidence to suggest it exist. If you make the argument that one should believe in God because his existence is not impossible, then you would have to believe in all gods (and many other things as well). Because of this, everyone is atheist to some degree, that is they reject certain gods, but atheists proper just take it one step further and reject all gods.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I was hoping to read this thread and find something logical in your post at least. I didn't. I find it funny how you think the fairy tales title is only used against Christianity. You ever heard the saying that if you get offended by something, it probably applies to you? You just classified not believing in fairy tales as Christian bashing, which to logical people, makes you look like someone who criticizes their own faith. In addition, you, like most people on this forum, gave a false definition of atheism and agnosticism. That makes your points invalid because you're arguing against positions that aren't real. There is no such thing as neutrality when it comes to belief. You either believe or you don't. Agnostics just hold the position that you can't know the truth, but after that, it still comes down to whether you believe or not. Theists can be agnostics too. If you knew the actual definition, you'd know that. Atheism is only a lack of belief, so your complete denial statement means nothing..
I already addressed the fact that bigotry affects every religion and lack thereof, but intolerance toward Christianity is hardly ever addressed. Perhaps you misunderstood me, I don't claim that nonbelievers are Christian bashers (as I do not identify with any religion myself), it's the arrogant, insulting comments which I refer to religion bashing (hence the word "bashing"). I don't believe your definition of agnosticism or atheism clash with anything I mentioned whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
As Haaziq has already pointed out, you misunderstand what atheism is. Atheism simply means one has a lack of belief in God(s). It does not require faith to not believe in something that has no evidence to suggest it exist. If you make the argument that one should believe in God because his existence is not impossible, then you would have to believe in all gods (and many other things as well). Because of this, everyone is atheist to some degree, that is they reject certain gods, but atheists proper just take it one step further and reject all gods.
But you need faith to dismiss said god(s), as you do to believe in them.
My argument isn't for or against any religion or lack of religion.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Thats a funny one, intolerance toward christians.

Christians have so much control that they have passed laws that force the rest of us to live as you WANT us to. Christians are the ones with intolerance, its not enough to live by your own moral code, you have to force them on the rest of us.

I think its time to take off the blinders and taste reality.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:30 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
I already addressed the fact that bigotry affects every religion and lack thereof, but intolerance toward Christianity is hardly ever addressed. Perhaps you misunderstood me, I don't claim that nonbelievers are Christian bashers (as I do not identify with any religion myself), it's the arrogant, insulting comments which I refer to religion bashing (hence the word "bashing"). I don't believe your definition of agnosticism or atheism clash with anything I mentioned whatsoever.

But you need faith to dismiss said god(s), as you do to believe in them.
My argument isn't for or against any religion or lack of religion.
By your logic, you need faith to dismiss Santa Claus. That doesn't make sense. To lack belief in something requires no faith. If that's the case, all of us have faith by lacking belief of over 3,000 deities that are worshipped on this planet.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Thats a funny one, intolerance toward christians.

Christians have so much control that they have passed laws that force the rest of us to live as you WANT us to. Christians are the ones with intolerance, its not enough to live by your own moral code, you have to force them on the rest of us.

I think its time to take off the blinders and taste reality.
Yes, of course there is intolerance within the Christian community. Nothing is absent of intolerance. However, intolerance from Christians has already been addressed so many times, whereas you (or at least I) hardly ever hear of the reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
In all seriousness and I'm not trying to bash anything...

I suggest the OP read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Even though I do find him a tad bit crass at times, he does address each and every one of your 'points' in his book with much more eloquence and depth than I could hope to explain on an internet forum.

If you're really interested in an answer, and you're not doing your own 'bashing', than I suggest you pick this book up and read it.
Thank you, I'm looking into that book at the moment.

Edit: It seems that the book debunks the "delusion" of God, rather than justifying intolerance and bigotry toward Christians, so how does it relate to this?

Last edited by lndigo; 03-06-2008 at 07:40 PM..

Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
all of us have faith by lacking belief of over 3,000 deities that are worshipped on this planet.
Yes, you're right. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality