Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 12:12 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Ahem...the edge is all around you. Try going there uninvited...I dare you. Foo boy's pendulum did not prove the assumed motion of the earth...the pendulum was moving, not earth.
I've been halfway around the earth or should that be 'half way across the disc'? It was curved. Can your flat disc be curved?

What causes the opposing seasons in the northern and southern hemispheres? Oh wait, we can't have hemispheres can we? Half circles?

Old 05-30-2017, 01:04 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You say some things that make me think you understand what the Comforter within is all about. But then you overlay it all with this veneer of symbolic nonsense and lack of understanding of the true nature of God as revealed by Jesus which makes me think you cannot possibly be experiencing the same Comforter within. It causes me to fear for what spirit actually is within you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Ditto, Mystic, ditto. Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Sometimes I think they same about you. I think we are talking about the same thing but then you get pissy when someone disagrees with you and I know it's about your ego.
Sadly, I must agree with you. My ego has been a stumbling block to my spiritual development. It has been the most difficult to conquer. I react especially badly to authoritarianism of any kind.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:11 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Ahem...the edge is all around you.
So why isn't the ocean drained???...surely all the water would fall off of the edge of this imaginary flat earth and freeze into ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Try going there uninvited...I dare you.
Dare me? Uninvited?
Quote:
Foo boy's pendulum did not prove the assumed motion of the earth...the pendulum was moving, not earth.
I knew it would go right over your head! LOL

The evidence for a round, rotating earth is abundant, consistent and undeniable, and much of it can be observed and confirmed by anyone willing to look for it. You don't need a research grant, and needn't be a member of the scientific establishment. The evidence comes from many independent natural phenomena, and the interpretation of that evidence is straightforward enough to be understood even without a degree in physics or astronomy.

I would love to hear your answers to the following questions.

If the earth is flat, what is its shape? Most flat-earth believers assume it is a circular disk. But could it be square, with four corners as the Bible suggests? Or is it some other shape? What experiment might we do to find out?

Is the flat disk earth stationary, or spinning about its center like an old phonograph record? If it is spinning like that, which direction is it spinning? How can we find out?

In short, what experiments have flat earthers done in the past century to confirm and verify their hypothesis?

Old 05-30-2017, 01:31 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Last I heard (1) from the UK flat earth society - with TV TIME was hat the present map (interpreted as a globe) is all on a circular disk, and the round world aircraft are just flying around the inside of the disk. Therefore all the oceans are confined within the walls of the disk - probably bounded by mountains as shown in medieval portolans based on Bible cosmology, for all that it was already known by the church that the earth was round.

(1) in the 60's - before the photos from space finally knocked the cult on its' head - apart from one or two hard -core denialists who swore it was all a global conspiracy to discredit them.

Peter sellers guyed these last few cranks in "Fuller's Earth"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdHmzPhuoF8

I hope this is it -for some reason You tube sound won't play.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:15 AM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
It's a real hard one.
God left behind a book, but only those who are "born again" with the Holy Spirit, have the "gift of discernment" to be able to make sense of the book.
What about the first 1600 years after Christ, and before these born agains arrived, how will they be judged?

Old 05-30-2017, 06:12 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
It's a real hard one.
God left behind a book, but only those who are "born again" with the Holy Spirit, have the "gift of discernment" to be able to make sense of the book.
What about the first 1600 years after Christ, and before these born agains arrived, how will they be judged?

I have witnessed first hand--men with white collars on assuring those who speak 3 lines of prayer with them, that they are now born again= 100% pure lie. Men like Joel Osteen. He got very rich off that lie.
The only way one is born again is to fully accomplish this--Ephesians 4:22-24-- Strip off the old personality( worker of iniquities) and put on the new personality( righteousness)-- Why don't those men teach this truth? The answer is--because it doesn't tickle ears, so when they ask for the tithe its much easier to get.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:38 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
No, I rely on what has been said already, and what He says in this moment, knowing that He is not a liar like men, as He proves when He PRODUCES the thing prayed for or spoken about. Faith in Him and His Word is like the gas that moves the car. No gas, no movement.

People that don't have gas therefore would look ridiculous cursing the car, blathering about their anger and disillusionment over the fact the car wouldn't budge an inch, and ridiculing others whose cars DO have gas and DO move. Then to make matters worse, rationalizing that must mean the car won't work ever, so, "I'll just shove the car off a cliff; that'll show it!" Peace
I wonder why He doesn't direct people to go to the cancer wards of the local Children's Hospital. A group instant healing of all of the children in the ward would not only end mass suffering by these children, but would go far in providing evidence of the healing power of prayer, although not definitively. Why would He not provide homes for the truly homeless people who were put on the street through no fault of their own? Why is He so partial to you over the children with cancer and the homeless? Have you ever asked that question?

Old 05-30-2017, 08:13 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I wonder why He doesn't direct people to go to the cancer wards of the local Children's Hospital. A group instant healing of all of the children in the ward would not only end mass suffering by these children, but would go far in providing evidence of the healing power of prayer, although not definitively. Why would He not provide homes for the truly homeless people who were put on the street through no fault of their own? Why is He so partial to you over the children with cancer and the homeless? Have you ever asked that question?
Well...you know how it is my dear old shoe! He doesn't want you to know via verifiable evidence but to believe by that daft and idiotic thing they cling to called....'faith'.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:47 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post

Sure. Same reason you don't read anything of Jesus before age 30 doing miracles and healing people. Had He been able to all of the time, what a calloused G-d that would have been to not allow Him to do so, right? That's the same sort of reasoning, isn't it? I mean, Jesus at 10, seeing a hurt playmate and not healing him?

Just like Him, the body has been growing and maturing into becoming mature sons over these 2000 years, but at a much slower rate as everything is always about G-d's time table and not ours. He healed me numerous times and used me to heal others numerous times more, but it's HIS GIFT OF HEALING, NOT MINE, and that means I don't have control over it, He does. I can't turn it on and off like a spigot. I can't decide who gets what and who waits. I have to just be obedient to hear TODAY what He wants of me, and wait for the fullness like everyone else who even realizes there IS one.

For those that understand Pentecost, we received the EARNEST of our inheritance with it. An earnest is like a pledge that is a partial down payment of something that is coming later. It's like buying a house. Who would put up earnest money on house and then never come back to live in it full time? Well, G-d has a house, too, and it's a many membered body right now, but He's only put down the earnest of inheritance on it so far.

So we wait....because He said, ask of Me and I will give you the nations for your inheritance. That doesn't mean we get to rule over the people, it means we get to rule over what is ruling over THEM, and that includes poverty, sickness and death, the curses Jesus came to reverse from off of man, which will be eventually done away with completely, in His season, not ours. Peace

Old 05-31-2017, 04:30 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Sure. Same reason you don't read anything of Jesus before age 30 doing miracles and healing people. Had He been able to all of the time, what a calloused G-d that would have been to not allow Him to do so, right? That's the same sort of reasoning, isn't it? I mean, Jesus at 10, seeing a hurt playmate and not healing him?

Just like Him, the body has been growing and maturing into becoming mature sons over these 2000 years, but at a much slower rate as everything is always about G-d's time table and not ours. He healed me numerous times and used me to heal others numerous times more, but it's HIS GIFT OF HEALING, NOT MINE, and that means I don't have control over it, He does. I can't turn it on and off like a spigot. I can't decide who gets what and who waits. I have to just be obedient to hear TODAY what He wants of me, and wait for the fullness like everyone else who even realizes there IS one.

For those that understand Pentecost, we received the EARNEST of our inheritance with it. An earnest is like a pledge that is a partial down payment of something that is coming later. It's like buying a house. Who would put up earnest money on house and then never come back to live in it full time? Well, G-d has a house, too, and it's a many membered body right now, but He's only put down the earnest of inheritance on it so far.

So we wait....because He said, ask of Me and I will give you the nations for your inheritance. That doesn't mean we get to rule over the people, it means we get to rule over what is ruling over THEM, and that includes poverty, sickness and death, the curses Jesus came to reverse from off of man, which will be eventually done away with completely, in His season, not ours. Peace
That really doesn't answer the questions, does it? I wasn't asking why you don't or why Jesus didn't heal everyone, I was asking why your supposedly benevolent God has never, as far as any reports are concerned, asked anyone to visit a hospital and instantly heal an entire wing of cancer-ridden children, or why he would need human intervention to being with. I know the answer is always that we don't understand the mind of God and can't answer for him, but you seem to know that he has healed you and used you to heal others. Logically, does this make sense that he would heal you, someone who expects it to happen and someone who needs no convincing, when he could instantly heal an entire group of children of this terrible disease and likely convince some people of his existence by doing so? Or, is it more likely that these things don't happen because they can't happen? Is it possible that, instead of not understanding God, you don't understand medical science and that your healings are simply the result of your body's own defenses and/or whatever medication you were using to combat it? Have you ever told someone they were healed but they weren't? Are you confident enough in your understanding of your God that you have been willing to tell someone they were healed and needed to stop taking their medication?

Do you ever feel guilty that you are healed, while these children and many others, continue to suffer horrible deaths from these diseases? Or do you feel envious that they will be going to heaven before you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality