Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 06:28 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
But you chose to ignore the fact my dream came true 8 hours later and was true in every detail. Please try to explain that away! A simple " I can't" will be be respected.
So, when Muslims, Jews, Hindus and Shintos claim they had visions and dreams are we to take them as evidence of a real supernatural event? Do you actually think only Christians make these claims?

Old 04-19-2017, 06:32 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Why is believing without any evidence to support the belief a credit to you, religiously speaking?

This is a sincere question, and not intended as an in your face challenge. I am truly interested in why not believing in something without decent evidence is so wrong, while believing in something without any evidence to support it is considered noble and laud worthy.
Really, it isn't a credit to us, except that of our own free will- we make that choice. Without Gods Holy Spirit leading us (John 6:44), we would not make that choice. Not believing w/o evidence is "wrong" when it comes to Faith in God. In non spiritual matters, it may very well be the right thing to do. I believe, but that doesn't make me "noble". It just assures my place with God in eternity. Jesus paid the price, I merely made a decision to believe due to circumstances in my life at the time, combined with His Holy Spirit influencing me. People often do not understand spiritual matters because they try to apply human logic and reasoning. That doesn't work when it comes to believing in God. I did not understand any of this myself, until I gave my heart to Jesus Christ at age 38. Before then, I was a skeptic. This is the best explanation that I can give. Hope it helps.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:38 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Not really. We know of the fact of conversion, and we don't claim to fully understand it, though there is evidence it is out of unsound reasons.

We are also familiar with de-conversion, and there it is in almost every case, for sound reasons - undeniable evidence that debunks the delusion.

To claim some kind of divine guidance in converting fails rather, when those who under the supposedly same inspiration squabble amongst themselves about interpretation of scripture, make statements that are logically unsound or plain wrong, and sometimes make predictions that crash and burn.

In the face of this, why should we place a scrap of reliance in the sort of faith you hold up as admirable?

Old 04-19-2017, 06:51 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Really, it isn't a credit to us, except that of our own free will- we make that choice. Without Gods Holy Spirit leading us (John 6:44), we would not make that choice. Not believing w/o evidence is "wrong" when it comes to Faith in God. In non spiritual matters, it may very well be the right thing to do. I believe, but that doesn't make me "noble". It just assures my place with God in eternity. Jesus paid the price, I merely made a decision to believe due to circumstances in my life at the time, combined with His Holy Spirit influencing me. People often do not understand spiritual matters because they try to apply human logic and reasoning. That doesn't work when it comes to believing in God. I did not understand any of this myself, until I gave my heart to Jesus Christ at age 38. Before then, I was a skeptic. This is the best explanation that I can give. Hope it helps.
So, what methodology is it when someone chooses to be Muslim? Who are you to say they were not led by Allah at a difficult time in their lives. The fact is you irrationally chose to believe in an irrational religion, no different than a Muslim.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:03 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Answer this please. So you are not a believer, and to become a believer you want some proof ?

Why wouldnt a person want some proof that what he/she was committing their lives to follow was in fact real and valid?

Conversely, why would you expect a person to commit their lives to an idea for which you can offer no proof?

Old 04-19-2017, 08:38 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timray View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you think a one-armed man would fare in the "arse-kicking" contest you mentioned above? Remember He's on two legs.
He'd fair very well actually. Saw such a thing once - at a bog-snorkelling event in Wales. Damn good he was.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Why wouldnt a person want some proof that what he/she was committing their lives to follow was in fact real and valid?

Conversely, why would you expect a person to commit their lives to an idea for which you can offer no proof?
Obviously...the Religious are capable of an awareness you are not. They are able to "see" what y'all can't. Similar to sighted people compared to blind people.
They have their "proof" through the indirect and anecdotal evidence they assess. This steady stream of anecdotal evidence is not available to you because you are blind to it, while they are not.
It not what THEY are lacking...it is what YOU are lacking, that has you and your ilk holding this same inquisition (Where is your verifiable PROOF?!!) against the Religious for the jillionth time on this board.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:50 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Obviously...the Religious are capable of an awareness you are not. They are able to "see" what y'all can't. Similar to sighted people compared to blind people.
They have their "proof" through the indirect and anecdotal evidence they assess. This steady stream of anecdotal evidence is not available to you because you are blind to it, while they are not.
It not what THEY are lacking...it is what YOU are lacking, that has you and your ilk holding this same inquisition (Where is your verifiable PROOF?!!) against the Religious for the jillionth time on this board.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Not really. We know of the fact of conversion, and we don't claim to fully understand it, though there is evidence it is out of unsound reasons.

We are also familiar with de-conversion, and there it is in almost every case, for sound reasons - undeniable evidence that debunks the delusion.

To claim some kind of divine guidance in converting fails rather, when those who under the supposedly same inspiration squabble amongst themselves about interpretation of scripture, make statements that are logically unsound or plain wrong, and sometimes make predictions that crash and burn.

In the face of this, why should we place a scrap of reliance in the sort of faith you hold up as admirable?

Do you know why that is? Those that are baptized in His Spirit start out as children. What do children do when confronted with shallow water? They play in it. They splash themselves and each other, they stir up the muddy bottom until it's not clear anymore, having the time of their life. They end up a muddy mess, but most parent's just laugh it off and attribute it to their childish immaturity, and then clean them up, and for sure they don't love them any less.

So it is with those that have not yet progressed from milk to meat, and so it is with the Father's reaction to His children playing in the water of His Spirit, because He knows that they will eventually mature and be in deeper water and use that water to cleanse others. Peace

Old 04-19-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Why do you think there is no proof? I was an agnostic until I was stopped dead in my tracks by an experience and that experience was explained in a book I had never read before. I changed literally overnight. At first my family thought I was having a nervous breakdown, because it was the only explanation they could come up with for the "stranger" standing in front of them.

Man seeks to change himself with outward things from the outside in, but G-d changes man from the inside out by getting at the root of our problem, a wrong spirit.

There is a spiritual experience that happens to you when you give your heart to the Lord. Arguments about it are worthless because a man with an experience always trumps a man with an argument. Seek to experience the kingdom yourself and no man will be able to take that away from you. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality