Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 08:00 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times

Advertisements

God is Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent. One of the many things I love about Him.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:10 PM

1,220 posts, read 986,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I stumped you then huh? Thought so. Why don't you respond to what I wrote instead of hiding? Is your god omnimax or not?
I'm not hiding...I just got off work. No, you didn't stump me. God is first...God is last. You're here on earth to work out your salvation in Christ.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Does that work the same way as when, once you choose to believe that fairies exist, you see evidence of fairies everywhere?

I don't know. Have you tried it?

Well that's the claim... but do you have any verifiable evidence to support the claim?

I've got all the evidence I need to believe. He dwells within me. I surrendered my life to Him. The joy is immeasurable. I was 28 years old when I got saved after growing up in a Godless home, living a Godless life - yes. Reading some of these posts is like right after eating a hot piece of apple pie ala mode. You can still smell it, you can feel it warming you up inside, it's sweet on your lips and the taste lingers in your mouth. Then someone tells you there's no such thing as apple pie. Gotta tell someone else, my friend. I've got all the proof I need. It's not my job to convince anyone. Let those who have the ears...

If the miracles attributed to Ganesh are not enough to convince you that Ganesh exists then I'm sorry.

Not familiar with that being but our calendar is based on the birth of Jesus, there's a collection of books that were written over so many years by so many people with a 400 year gap between the old and new testaments. Yet it meshes perfectly. How many songs of worship have been sung to Ganesh? over the centuries? Does Ganesh appear in the dreams of those who persecute Christians and change their lives when they've never spoken to anyone who doesn't hate Christians? It takes more imagination to NOT believe. The Bible says seek and you shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened. He knows your heart.

Yes. All you need to get one is to stop thinking for yourself, deny anything that contradicts what you want to be true and rely on 'faith' rather than reason, logic, common sense and verifiable evidence.

That in no way describes the hearts of any children I've known. Do you have children? As a matter of fact, I found the Lord because of my children (okay, I only had one at the time).

Oberon is looking at you right now waiting for your decision.

Are you serious? You might need medication!

Just ask I will if you will!
I have lots of friends who aren't believers. I don't go around beating them in the head with Bibles. Some of them want to hear about my experiences. Some come to me when they're troubled or afraid. Some ask for prayer and I stop right then and pray with them, no matter where. I love all my friends. I don't see the need to bash anyone's beliefs.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:39 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
How many eyewitnesses does it take to prove something in a court of law? Because 4 eyewitnesses documented Jesus' activities in the Bible. In addition there were secular writings from that time period that also documented it.
No eyewitness documented the activities of your Jesus. The Gospels are anonymous but they certainly weren't written by those who's names they bear.

Quote:
Heck there's more evidence for Jesus than there is for Alexander the Great!
Oh please! Not that old chestnut! If that's your best shot then you'd best give up now. If you think there is more evidence for your Jesus than Alexander then you are profoundly out of your depth. The only evidence for your Jesus is the Gospels and they are provably unreliable. There is a mountain of verifiable evidence for Alexander. If you think you have verifiable evidence for your JC then lets see it.

TRANSPONDER: I'm away until Sunday night. Stand by for the usual...Josephus. Tacitus, Pliny, Suetonius et al tripe from our new friend.

Quote:
I have lots of friends who aren't believers. I don't go around beating them in the head with Bibles. Some of them want to hear about my experiences. Some come to me when they're troubled or afraid. Some ask for prayer and I stop right then and pray with them, no matter where. I love all my friends.
When you learn to use the forum quote function I will respond to the rest of your post. AS for the above.... If they are not believers then why are they praying?

Quote:
I don't see the need to bash anyone's beliefs.
I do when the beliefs are primitive, superstitious and wilfully ignorant. I have had enough of giving 'respect' to wilful ignorance and superstition. Theists and their superstitious and wilfully ignorant 'beliefs' have been protected for too long. The change is coming. Get used to it.

“The way to deal with superstition is not to be polite to it, but to tackle it with all arms, and so rout it, cripple it, and make it forever infamous and ridiculous. Is it, perchance, cherished by persons who should know better? Then their folly should be brought out into the light of day, and exhibited there in all its hideousness until they flee from it, hiding their heads in shame. True enough, even a superstitious man has certain inalienable rights. He has a right to harbor and indulge his imbecilities as long as he pleases, provided only he does not try to inflict them upon other men by force. He has a right to argue for them as eloquently as he can, in season and out of season. He has a right to teach them to his children. But certainly he has no right to be protected against the free criticism of those who do not hold them. He has no right to demand that they be treated as sacred. He has no right to preach them without challenge.”

H.L. Mencken

Old 05-12-2017, 03:44 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
God is Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent. One of the many things I love about Him.
I have no problem with what you believe. I do struggle with how and why people believe. Like our new chew toy raf, raf is believing but not really have the tools needed to go running around telling people what to believe. Or your statement here, assigning traits that may not match observation.

Here you make a claim about three traits of your god. What observations do you have that support all powerful and all knowing?

Your last line is love. love is an emotion, and emotion can distort a person's logic in determining the most rational solution. "love", can produce enabling. Toss in the many personality types that express "love" and we see where enabling can take on properties that a logical person sees as peculiar.

Hoarding and a mother's love for a dirtball child are examples. Of course, the opposite is also true. We never "hit the target" its more like we are trying to continuously resight the target.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
No eyewitness documented the activities of your Jesus. The Gospels are anonymous but they certainly weren't written by those who's names they bear.

So many people, not unlike you, have tried for centuries to disprove the Bible, yet it prevails. It would take better than the likes of your ranting to convince intelligent people. And where is your proof? The fulfillment of prophecy is mathematically impossible, yet Jesus does it. I really don't care what non-believers say. Usually when one sincerely seeks to find the answer, they will discover the Truth. We all make our own decisions. And suffer consequences good or bad for them. That's life in its purest form.

When you learn to use the forum quote function I will respond to the rest of your post.

In all the forums I belong to - the quote functions are fairly simple. Just too much time and trouble when my time is limited. Don't feel obliged to respond. Not necessary.

AS for the above.... If they are not believers then why are they praying?
EXACTLY. The Bible says we are all created in God's image. There's a God-shaped hole deep inside of us and we will continue to be frustrated with life while that hole is unfilled. Just like battlefield conversions. When you're in a foxhole, facing the enemy (I realize that's contradictory - don't all the Marines jump on me for that ) you seek help from your creator. And He will never let you down.
For those of you who wonder about the suffering and the evil in this world, the Bible says this life is but a vapor. Don't miss the forest for the trees. Eternity is ... eternal. This life is the only chance we get to be obedient children to our heavenly Father. Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm no worse off. If you're wrong - dayum!
Don't take chances with eternity. Doesn't hurt to accept the free gift offered to all.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:17 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,578 times
Wow

Old 05-12-2017, 06:46 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,497 times
Quote:
For those of you who wonder about the suffering and the evil in this world, the Bible says this life is but a vapor. Don't miss the forest for the trees. Eternity is ... eternal. This life is the only chance we get to be obedient children to our heavenly Father. Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm no worse off. If you're wrong - dayum!
Don't take chances with eternity. Doesn't hurt to accept the free gift offered to all.
Great, another sidewalk preacher preaching Pascal's wager.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:18 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Great, another sidewalk preacher preaching Pascal's wager.
It sure gets boring.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:59 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,319,539 times
Quote:
The worse thing I find about using Pascal Wager is that it encourages me to believe in the God that has the best offer. I wonder about believers who use this argument, do they truly believe in their God or do they just want the loyalty points? Do you know what you will come back as for not believing in the Hindu Gods? Do you really wish to come back as a weasel?

This is the only life we actually know about and therefore to dismiss the suffering in it is callous. If there is an afterlife it should be based on what we have done in this life rather that just having been born into the right part of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.