Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 08:03 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
You have just stated that god and religion is idolatry!
Your belief in your god is idolatry? So you acknowledge it's idolatry yet you continue doing it or are you saying idolatry is Ok?
...and there you have it...how a fig became a golden apple.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Bias and double standards - the others are invented religion and idolatry. Yours is a "golden apple". On no valid basis. .
Quote:
You like to embellish what people say..."Dispersed corpses"? Sounds like you read a lot of science-fiction...Philip José Farmer (Author of To Your Scattered Bodies Go)...coincidence maybe?
"Straw man"? I am not your opponent...
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Ephesians 6:12 KJV
You are not both amused and amazed..."merely"...pick only one if "merely"...capice?
The horizon doesn't sink in the water...it remains at eye-level regardless of altitude...
"He laid out the horizon on the surface of the waters at the boundary between light and darkness." Job 26:10 HCSB

"I was there when He established the heavens, when He laid out the horizon on the surface of the ocean," Proverbs 8:27 HCSB

...I've observed this phenomena with mine own eyes, repeated by all of my family with their eyes...confirmed and strengthened by God's Word...evidence.
Sorry, liitle chum. This isn't evidence or coherent argument, this is rubbish. Again - I'm out.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Bias and double standards - the others are invented religion and idolatry. Yours is a "golden apple". On no valid basis. .

Sorry, liitle chum. This isn't evidence or coherent argument, this is rubbish. Again - I'm out.
Have a blessed day friend.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:22 PM

52 posts, read 27,661 times
Default Why would God expect us to believe without evidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I wanted to write tangible evidence, but it wouldnt fit.

But what of the God who wants, expects, and even in some cases demands that you believe in it? Why the insistence upon belief without proof?

Dont say " God wants us to have faith", because again, you simply answer my question of why God wants us to believe without evidence by responding "because God wants us to believe without evidence".
= = = = =

Imo, God doesn't want us to have faith. God wants us to have Gnosis or direct union or communion with God (or the Spirit or the Holy or the Ultimate, etc.). That is, God is open to being experienced, and as an object of experience is knowable. Not knowable as we know matter, because God/Spirit are not material, but known as a loving, silent Presence saturated with infinite compassion and infinite wisdom. "Heart speaks to heart" and "the flight of the alone to the Alone" are legitimate expressions of this necessarily subjective, private experience.

This kind of attitude toward divine union has always been prevalent in the East, as in Taoism, Hinduism, and Buddhism (which although it has no personal Creator god, does define Bodhi in terms very similar to those used by Western mystics), i.e., as a personal experience not mediated by science, philosophy and the mediation of the senses.

It can't be a faith that relies on sacred texts, scientific research, philosophical reflection, or any other type of external investigative categories. It can only be a faith that is a trusting-in the God who is discovered in the soul's depths.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
WELL! Aren't YOU a breath of fresh air!
Welcome here, steveb!!

Old 05-24-2017, 10:09 PM

52 posts, read 27,661 times
Default Why would God expect us to believe without evidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
WELL! Aren't YOU a breath of fresh air!
Welcome here, steveb!!

= = = = =

Miss Hepburn, thank you very much for your kind words. Yes, I think that "the God within" is the core approach for those seeking "God as God", rather than the notion of "locating" God as a component of the universe (science), the conclusion of an argument (philosophy), or as the main Character in sacred texts. Also I think that God may be experienced, or at least hinted out, by religions that have sacramental systems - but the problem there, of course, is the domestication of that experience by group dogma...

Old 05-24-2017, 11:01 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Ah! I get what you are saying. The fig becomes the golden apple - an idol!

Something I would like to ask - you have said things like "horizontal means level, not curved". Others have mentioned flat earth. Just to clear things up - do you believe the earth is flat? (In the meantime I am giving you the benefit of the doubt).

Old 05-25-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:

Something I would like to ask - you have said things like "horizontal means level, not curved". Others have mentioned flat earth. Just to clear things up - do you believe the earth is flat? (In the meantime I am giving you the benefit of the doubt).
I will answer your question...but first, please tell me...do you believe we live on a spinning ball in a heliocentric system?

Old 05-25-2017, 12:07 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:

He's already said so in the past...and confirmed the same to me in a previous discussion...but it's a devil of a job to get him to give a simple yes or no, he just throws out obscure bible verses that leads him to believe that it is.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
He's already said so in the past...and confirmed the same to me in a previous discussion...but it's a devil of a job to get him to give a simple yes or no, he just throws out obscure bible verses that leads him to believe that it is.
As I said to face man, I'll answer his (and now yours) question directly without any padding from the white room I sleep in, but first answer my question...do you actually believe your living on a spinning ball in a heliocentric system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality