Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:33 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The 3000 gods argument is a type of non sequetor, as the atheist believes there are no gods. Where you were born doesn't necessarily determine your religion.

Many nations have more than one religion. Take S Korea. Mostly Buddhist and Christian. People switch religions in North America every day. I was a Jew raised in an atheistic household. Became a Christian in college.
Aren't you avoiding the question?

Quote:
Weak sauce. Does your cell phone give you comfort in times of trouble or when facing death? My car does not give me eternal life.
Christian religion doesn't give me comfort or eternal life that I know of, but I'd honestly be open to be proven wrong. That's why I'm asking here.

I was raised a Lutheran, but Buddhism gives me more comfort than Christian religions ever did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 05:21 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
Two points: science keeps changing explanations over time. Just look back at astrophysics and biology from 1880 or 1920 or 1950. Sorry, but in a 1000 years, science books from today will be over 90% wrong.

Are you suggesting that the medicine of the 50"s and 60's was wrong because we have improved upon it in 2017?

Or that the carburetor was wrong because we went to fuel injection?

Was the surgery of 50 years ago wrong because we developed the ability to do surgeries through a scope?

Quote:
The Bible hasn't changed in the last 1000 years. Or longer.
Neither has the Koran. Or the Hindu sacred books.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Aren't you avoiding the question?

Christian religion doesn't give me comfort or eternal life that I know of, but I'd honestly be open to be proven wrong. That's why I'm asking here.

I was raised a Lutheran, but Buddhism gives me more comfort than Christian religions ever did.
Glad you find comfort in religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Are you suggesting that the medicine of the 50"s and 60's was wrong because we have improved upon it in 2017?

Or that the carburetor was wrong because we went to fuel injection?

Was the surgery of 50 years ago wrong because we developed the ability to do surgeries through a scope?

Neither has the Koran. Or the Hindu sacred books.
Sorry, I won't bite. You know the answer.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:37 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,374 times
Both are intelligent, rational and polite. If we could all start there, we'd all be better off.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:41 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
Glad you find comfort in religion.

Sorry, I won't bite. You know the answer.

I do. Science advances. It builds upon the knowledge of the past. It gets more accurate about known knowledge, and discovers new knowledge. It has the courage to challenge its beliefs, and attempt to prove them wrong.

Religion does none of these.

And by " I wont bite" , what you mean is you cannot defend your statement, so your ignore the questions about it.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:16 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I do. Science advances. It builds upon the knowledge of the past. It gets more accurate about known knowledge, and discovers new knowledge. It has the courage to challenge its beliefs, and attempt to prove them wrong.

Religion does none of these.

And by " I wont bite" , what you mean is you cannot defend your statement, so your ignore the questions about it.
I won't bite means I know your game. Wasn't born yesterday.

But then again, you just admitted that modern science says that the science of 1880, 1920 and 1950 was wrong and modern science says so. And yea, playing with Radium was stupid and wrong. But it was cool in 1890. So were Xray parties.

Last edited by Mr5150; 04-18-2017 at 07:40 PM..

Old 04-18-2017, 08:23 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I don't follow Ricky Gervais, but I thought this was an interesting exchange with Stephen Colbert a while back. Both of them have well thought out views on religion. It's not a new notion, but it's presented in a different manner - and I'd be curious how the Christian believers here might counter Ricky's point of view.

But it's based on a false assumption: that being that G-d couldn't/wouldn't speak to someone else to record it all again, if He so chose to. There is nothing to keep Him from doing it again verbatim, as He still speaks to His people.

Science, on the other hand changes with each generation, at the very least, so the likelihood of something being exactly reproduced in the light of newer developments, is a much safer bet for a failed test as he exposited, than that of G-d. Peace

Old 04-18-2017, 08:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Quote:
Weak sauce. Does your cell phone give you comfort in times of trouble or when facing death? My car does not give me eternal life.
Neither does your mythical old book. Science has changed the world from harsh goat herding to easy access to all needs and wants. Your comfort is nothing more than a placebo.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:12 PM

678 posts, read 429,079 times
Quote:
Two points: science keeps changing explanations over time. Just look back at astrophysics and biology from 1880 or 1920 or 1950. Sorry, but in a 1000 years, science books from today will be over 90% wrong.

The Bible hasn't changed in the last 1000 years. Or longer.

And face to face discussions are so much nicer than on line "discussions". Witness this forum.
Just because the Bible hasn't changed, doesn't make it factually correct. Everyone believed the world was flat until Galileo. It took the church a very long time to acknowledge it and he was ridiculed for his scientific findings. I'm glad the Pope acknowledges climate change and evolution, as I believe the quicker religions acknowledge science the better off the world will be.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:31 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
But it's based on a false assumption: that being that G-d couldn't/wouldn't speak to someone else to record it all again, if He so chose to. There is nothing to keep Him from doing it again verbatim, as He still speaks to His people.

Science, on the other hand changes with each generation, at the very least, so the likelihood of something being exactly reproduced in the light of newer developments, is a much safer bet for a failed test as he exposited, than that of G-d. Peace
But that seems to on one hand, suggest that changing the information indicate that the previous information was wrong, and on the other that the person who knew the correct information to begin with, gave wrong information to start with with intention of saying"Sorry, that was all wrong. Complete revision".

Eithr changing the information discredits it or it doesn't.

And of course science hasn't declared everything it taught previously is wrong. Not dince the solar system was turned inside out and the earth became round. The Copernican system and Newton's laws are just as valid now as when they were formulated. Extra knowledge gas built on that, Just as DNA added a whole new body of confirmatory evidence to evolution -theory, which had be based on observation of animal morphology.

The claims of religion and the credibility of the Bible, on the other hand, have been rolled back even since it was realized that Pilate's character did not actually accord with the way he is shown in the Gospels and Genesis does not accord with the evidence of how the world and species came about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality