Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:53 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post

When I started to become a believer from my experience I would say He came to me not that I came to Him. I believe there is corresponding psychological phenom to explain my experiences. I'm not saying that it disproves God, only that it does not prove one way or the other because there is a logical explanation. Could it have been God? Yes. Could it have been a higher life form but not the creator of the universe? Yes. Could it be the operation of my own mind? Yes. The last explanation requires the least amount of assumptions so it seems most likely to me. Could we all be AI in a matrix?
Its easy to mistake correlates, neuroscience shows the brain light up like a xmas tree during spiritual experiences, yet the same occurs on LSD during hallucinations.
Only one is valid, the other is chemical induced.

One leads to a life free from fear , the other to a couple of yrs of having a skull full of mush.
Both experiences show very similar correlates in the brain but only one is a valid spiritual experience.

When I was tripping on acid I went nuts ( for yrs).
When I tried God I got well and stopped trying to kill myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 11:03 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I have no religion.
God copes with me quite nicely thanks.
Is that yahweh or the christian god, jesus?

Old 04-23-2017, 03:18 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So to the person who has experienced the presence of of God, how do you feel or react to the atheist who argues that logic says it ain't so?

You don't.
Thing is, The Truth can be realized ONLY through experience. You can read, see, hear, contemplate, think, ponder and so on and so on as long as you wish to - unless experienced, The Truth is NOT realized. One who actually experienced the truth, in whatever form, KNOWS beyond any doubt, that it is The Truth.

But only fool will try to convince someone else about that experience. As the only way the listener may possibly realize the truth spoken - is through experience! I'll quote myself: The Truth can be realized ONLY through experience. You can read, see, hear, contemplate, think, ponder and so on and so on as long as you wish to - unless experienced, The Truth is NOT realized.

Wise person realizes his or her experience and becomes content with it. One who truly experience god, will not even consider "explaining" this to someone else, least to say - to the "enemy" of god. Why bother? I'd push even further. One that is trying to "convince" others did NOT experience god. As truth spoken is truth corrupted and one who experienced god now knows how to NOT corrupt the truth. God's touch is forever. If it were true god's touch, of course, not zealous imagination. As human imagination and self deception is beyond any limits....

Old 04-23-2017, 03:24 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
This is where presence of the true spiritual master comes in play and is invaluable. As Master does not convince. Or teach. or else.
Master simply IS. But in his presence, one that is open and susceptible, may and can receive from the Master. Just by staying open.. Or by touch... By sight.... Even by being hit by master.... That is how light of a living candle jumps to unlit one and lightens it....

Not by idle arguments or explanations....

Old 04-23-2017, 03:48 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
If you've repeatedly accepted and agreed there is no proof, why keep asking for it.
There is NONE, NADA, ZIP , ZERO.
So how can there be a burden for what cannot exist.(proof).

What do you think this is...science?

Unless some theist claims they have proof, there is no burden tp prove anything ,
and any theist who claims they have proof needs a dictionary. God is not provable or falsifiable.

EVidence would never have convinced me to give up atheism, my personal experience did though.
My personal experience is not capable of convincing anyone to abandon atheism, they have to get their own experience, I cannot experience God for someone else.
Because there is no convincing evidence for believing in a god, but there could be something new.

But that isn't what we are doing. We are trying to get people to question and then doubt. Theists try to counter by saying we are wrong and God/Religion is real and true - and we say 'If so, evidence.' It is said to show that the Theist claim is not worthy of belief. Unless some convincing new evidence comes up.

I/D was a good one. Went down in the end. NDE is the hot property right now.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:54 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You don't.
Thing is, The Truth can be realized ONLY through experience. You can read, see, hear, contemplate, think, ponder and so on and so on as long as you wish to - unless experienced, The Truth is NOT realized. One who actually experienced the truth, in whatever form, KNOWS beyond any doubt, that it is The Truth.

But only fool will try to convince someone else about that experience. As the only way the listener may possibly realize the truth spoken - is through experience! I'll quote myself: The Truth can be realized ONLY through experience. You can read, see, hear, contemplate, think, ponder and so on and so on as long as you wish to - unless experienced, The Truth is NOT realized.

Wise person realizes his or her experience and becomes content with it. One who truly experience god, will not even consider "explaining" this to someone else, least to say - to the "enemy" of god. Why bother? I'd push even further. One that is trying to "convince" others did NOT experience god. As truth spoken is truth corrupted and one who experienced god now knows how to NOT corrupt the truth. God's touch is forever. If it were true god's touch, of course, not zealous imagination. As human imagination and self deception is beyond any limits....
Well - that's interesting. I could reference some deconversion stories where those who were convinced they Knew the truth came to realize they were mistaken. But I'm more intrigued by the idea that anyone here trying to peddle their claim to know the truth, by definition, doesn't.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:17 PM

564 posts, read 677,857 times
I always feel really sorry for Folks who have not had a real experience with our God. I pray to God about this problem and ask, "When are You going let everyone know You?"

Old 04-23-2017, 07:21 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
I always feel really sorry for Folks who have not had a real experience with our God. I pray to God about this problem and ask, "Why don't You let everyone know You?"
you can help. Describe him using observations and what people understand. Don't ask them to drop what they know in favor of blind faith. You can offer Hope without dumping commonsense.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:54 AM
Status: "Before saving for a rainy evening, see your xenial lawyer!" (set 6 hours ago)

19,664 posts, read 651,473 times
Cool It's Your Decision To Make

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So to the person who has experienced the presence of of God, how do you feel or react to the atheist who argues that logic says it ain't so?
If you really feel that you have to explain and maybe convince the atheist that your experience was real, that's your decision to make.

If you feel that you don't have to explain and try to convince the atheist about the realness of your experience, again that's your decision to make.

The experience may be real, but so are the Skeptics. Good luck trying to convince them if you decide that's what you want to do.

Last edited by Timray; 04-24-2017 at 03:19 AM..

Old 04-24-2017, 03:25 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
I always feel really sorry for Folks who have not had
a real experience with our God.
I pray to God about this problem and ask, "When are You going let everyone know You?"
But, that would mean 'Game over', glenninindy.
I mean no offense, but why feel sorry for anyone...they are in their perfect spot for them...rich or poor,
fat or thin...believer or agnostic...winner of a race or 7th in the race.
It's part of the Cosmic Play, the Lila, the Dance...
actors on a stage...each with a role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality