Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: does jesus approve of making money from Wall St. and the stock market in the U.S.A.?
Yes, Jesus approves of the stock market and Wall St. 3 23.08%
No, Jesus strongly disdains the stock market and Wall St. 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:11 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Haha! Yes, we are called to make new disciples of Christ....
Who told you that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 11:32 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Who told you that?
Jesus.

Matt 28

19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Old 05-01-2017, 12:05 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,382 times
This is an interesting question. I believe, like another poster said, that Jesus wouldn't be interested one way or the other in the stock market...he would be interested in people, and the conditions of the heart and intentions.
Just as he was not political, as his disciples and followers hoped he would be, he was interested in things eternal and personal, not the business of the society in general.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Jesus.

Matt 28

19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

LOL! Let's look at it a little deeper.

16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them. 17 When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted.
18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen

So actually your Jesus told his disciples to do that... not you. Interesting isn't that when Jesus tells his disciples to go out and get followers, THAT is universal and meant as an instruction for all Christians - but when Jesus says sell your possessions and give the money to the poor, it's a case of... 'Hey wait! Jesus was talking to the rich man and that instructions is only meant for that rich man.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
LOL! Let's look at it a little deeper.

16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them. 17 When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted.
18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen

So actually your Jesus told his disciples to do that... not you. Interesting isn't that when Jesus tells his disciples to go out and get followers, THAT is universal and meant as an instruction for all Christians - but when Jesus says sell your possessions and give the money to the poor, it's a case of... 'Hey wait! Jesus was talking to the rich man and that instructions is only meant for that rich man.
That is an illogical conclusion. If that message was given to only the 11, the church would have died a quick death. The eleven knew that and chose other disciples to work alongside them.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
That is an illogical conclusion. If that message was given to only the 11, the church would have died a quick death. The eleven knew that and chose other disciples to work alongside them.
It doesn't say that Jimmy lad. You are simply putting your own preferred interpretation on it because you like one instruction but not the other. We can read you people like a book. If one Jesus instruction to specific people applies universally to all then so too does the one that you don't like.

But playing your game. If, one message was given to only the 11, the church would have died a quick death, then, if the one message that you claim was only given to the rich man was accepted by all you Christians, there might be less poor and needy people around...and don't you think your Jesus would have liked that...eh Jim lad?

Old 05-01-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
It doesn't say that Jimmy lad. You are simply putting your own preferred interpretation on it because you like one instruction but not the other. We can read you people like a book. If one Jesus instruction to specific people applies universally to all then so too does the one that you don't like.

But playing your game. If, one message was given to only the 11, the church would have died a quick death, then, if the one message that you claim was only given to the rich man was accepted by all you Christians, there might be less poor and needy people around...and don't you think your Jesus would have liked that...eh Jim lad?
That passage applies to all followers of Christ. In Luke 10, Jesus sent out the 72, so it is obvious that this command is for more than the 11.

Have you accepted Christ?

Old 05-01-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
That passage applies to all followers of Christ. In Luke 10, Jesus sent out the 72, so it is obvious that this command is for more than the 11.

Have you accepted Christ?
No. I have no belief in your 'Christ'. I haven't accepted Oberon either.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:31 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I can't see Jesus liking anything about Wall Street or the Stock Market. He just wasn't that type of guy.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:15 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
What do you think Jesus Christ would have to say about the stock market and Wall St.? Would or does he approve or disapprove of it?

If somebody considers them-self a Christian and depends on Wall St. and and the stock market for financial gain do you think Jesus would approve?
Maybe this would help you resolve things, He said..

render unto Caesar....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality