Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 11:25 AM

25 posts, read 31,715 times

Advertisements

It seems that many people don't know anything about Islam, and that makes them easily led to believe nonsense by people trying to sell fear.

I am an American, I was born Muslim because my dad is from Bosnia. My mom is from Mexico and she became Muslim (from Catholicism) about 5 years after I was born.

I won't answer any bigoted or nasty questions, however I am more than happy to answer any questions from people who genuinely don't know much about Islam/have been told things about Islam that are false or manipulated and would like to learn.

I also do not want to argue with atheists about the existence of God subhana wa ta'ala, that's beyond the scope of this discussion.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:31 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I hear a significant part of the Koran is about Mary, mother of Jesus. What role does she play in the religion? Why is she important?

I also hear that Jesus is regarded not as any manner of divine or semi-divine being, but as a fully human prophet, and that it is not believed he resurrected after his ordeal on the cross. What does it say about Jesus after the crucifixion? Does he die? Does he revive, and go on to have a ministry and long life afterwards?

Old 05-06-2017, 11:33 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Currently in Syria and Iraq there is war. Who are the Muslims involved?

How do you think that history and the Crusades play into this if at all?

Old 05-06-2017, 11:33 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CondeCasio View Post
I won't answer any bigoted or nasty questions,....

....I also do not want to argue with atheists about the existence of God
So in other words, you won't answer questions that might stump you and make you feel uncomfortable? If you want to preach about Islam there is a forum for that here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/islam/

THIS forum is for DISCUSSING religion. If you are not prepared to address questions then I think you might be better off in the Islam forum where people who want to ask you questions will come.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I hear a significant part of the Koran is about Mary, mother of Jesus. What role does she play in the religion? Why is she important?

I also hear that Jesus is regarded not as any manner of divine or semi-divine being, but as a fully human prophet, and that it is not believed he resurrected after his ordeal on the cross. What does it say about Jesus after the crucifixion? Does he die? Does he revive, and go on to have a ministry and long life afterwards?
Maryam is known as the greatest of all women, and an example for all women. She is the only woman mentioned by name in the Qur'an and she is loved dearly by every single Muslim for her pious devotion to God, her kindness and love for humanity and her miraculous virgin birth to the Prophet Jesus (Isa ibn Maryam) alayhi as salaam.

We don't believe that Jesus died on the cross. To save him from death, Allah subhana wa ta'ala brought him up to heaven where he is alive. Before the day of judgement, at the beginning of the end of time, He will come back (arriving in Jerusalem) and stop the corruption of religion in his name (described as killing the swine and breaking the cross), he will help the Mahdi defeat al-Masih ad-Dajjal (the false messiah/antichrist) and then have a 40 year reign of peace, then he will die and be buried next to the Prophet Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wa salam. To put it simply, Jesus is the Messiah.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Currently in Syria and Iraq there is war. Who are the Muslims involved?

How do you think that history and the Crusades play into this if at all?
Are you asking me the names of the parties involved in the conflicts in Syria and Iraq? I'm confused.

Are you asking if I think that Da'esh are Muslims? Well, engaging takfir (that is, accusing someone of apostasy without a definitive admission of apostasy) is a sin. Only God knows if they believe that there is only one God, without partners and Muhammad is his last Prophet. However, whether or not they are individually Muslims doesn't change the objective fact that they constantly violate the most basic norms of Islamic law with regards to war and battle, the treatment of innocents and the rights of Christians and Jews. That is why every single scholar has denounced them, most of them are uneducated vigilantes who care more about violence and power than Islam.

The crusades don't directly affect geopolitics, but the legacy of 19th and early 20th century imperialism in the Muslim world is a huge catalyst for conflict. Also, extremist ideology is a direct result of people not deferring to scholars as is traditional and instead making personal interpretations. Most people aren't properly trained to make rulings on Islamic law, that's why we have jurists. The first person to support personal interpretation was a Westernist modernist named Mohammed Abduh, who said people should interpret Islam for themselves like how Christians interpret the Bible themselves (huge paraphrasing) and that has created a lot of problems.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:55 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,207 times
This is quite interesting to me, OP. In reading your response above, this brings back to me my original thoughts that Muslims DO believe Jesus to be the divine Messiah...I had heard that years ago from an Imam on a show called "Searching for God in America"...
So, please clarify: If you do believe in the virgin birth of Jesus, and the fact that He is Messiah, you then DO believe in his Divinity, correct?
Thanks in advance for a response.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
This is quite interesting to me, OP. In reading your response above, this brings back to me my original thoughts that Muslims DO believe Jesus to be the divine Messiah...I had heard that years ago from an Imam on a show called "Searching for God in America"...
So, please clarify: If you do believe in the virgin birth of Jesus, and the fact that He is Messiah, you then DO believe in his Divinity, correct?

You're conflating two things.

The Messiah, as Jews will tell you, is not divine, he is a man that God uses to do His will. Jesus is a man, he is not God or any sort of higher being.

We believe him to be the Messiah, we do not believe him to be divine. Any sort of action done by a prophet that could be perceived as divine, is God's work, not the man's work.

Do you understand? I can't tell if you're just asking for clarification or if you're trying to be patronizing and tell a Muslim what Muslims believe.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
To put it into perspective for you, do you believe Moses alayhi as salaam to be divine due to the events that took place in the Biblical book of Exodus (there is a very similar narrative in the Qur'an, and we love Musa too)? I'm going to assume that you don't, because mostly every Christian church does not ascribe divinity to Moses. It's the same with Jesus peace be upon him, God subhana wa ta'ala works through his prophets. The miraculous happenings are a result of God, not these men, who are mere men.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:10 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CondeCasio View Post
Maryam is known as the greatest of all women, and an example for all women. She is the only woman mentioned by name in the Qur'an and she is loved dearly by every single Muslim for her pious devotion to God, her kindness and love for humanity and her miraculous virgin birth to the Prophet Jesus (Isa ibn Maryam) alayhi as salaam.

We don't believe that Jesus died on the cross. To save him from death, Allah subhana wa ta'ala brought him up to heaven where he is alive. Before the day of judgement, at the beginning of the end of time, He will come back (arriving in Jerusalem) and stop the corruption of religion in his name (described as killing the swine and breaking the cross), he will help the Mahdi defeat al-Masih ad-Dajjal (the false messiah/antichrist) and then have a 40 year reign of peace, then he will die and be buried next to the Prophet Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wa salam. To put it simply, Jesus is the Messiah.
That's correct

Quran places Mary on a highest echelon of humanity among females. Mary is THE ONLY female in entire Quran who is mentioned by her name. No other female is mentioned by her name in Quran.
There is also a chapter in Quran that is named after Mary

Islam also believes in the following.

1 - Miraculous birth of Jesus having no father. That, he is the son of Mary, and Mary is a virgin, giving birth to Jesus.

2 - Jesus spoke as an infant, to the people, telling who he was, and what his message was, and his mission, as well.

3 - Jesus performed miracles of curing the blind, the sick, the lepers etc, and even giving life back to someone who had died.

4 - Bible was revealed to Jesus.

Muslims believe in Jesus as the Word, as the Christ, as the miracle birth, as the prophet, and as the one who will return in the last days as Messiah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality