Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 10:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Rafius,

No. I suspect that's more likely to happen in the kind of churches you would approve of. You would not be tolerated in a true church.
I don'tapprove of churches old chap. Never go into them. I have no use for monuments to wilful ignorance an superstition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 10:18 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Not the comment, no. But the reality of lawlessness is.
And hopefully we can get the lawlessness of the religious right back under control soon.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:46 AM

16,752 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
No, because the reality of ex-criminals being converted Christianity is a reality, just behind the closed door that you are ignoring. There are many former criminals who became Christian ministers after their release. They are changing the world for good. And all you can do is ridicule it. That's despicable.
How can I be ridiculing something NO ONE is talking about? Accusing me of something I am not doing is despicable, dishonest and pathetArach*.

*My new word.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:40 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,645,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
Is there any proof that the Bible is not 100% man made?
All writings are manmade...no matter what.
But anything that happens or occurs...and any thought by any person or creature, is by and through God.
There is no way that it cannot be.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
...and any thought by any person ...., is by and through God.
There is no way that it cannot be.
How did you know that?

I just had that dawning realization within the last year.
Gosh, the Freedom...the trust...the peace that gave me in addition to what I already had.
And I, of course, put that to practice.
So again, another Paradox...we are not puppets...but, Oh yes, we are.

Will many understand what I just said? As many that would understand me
praying in tongues I suppose!!! Oh, I make myself laugh....or would know what
one hand clapping is...

Old 06-22-2019, 12:58 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
You are a very interesting person, Miss Hepburn.

I know someone who said she had OBR's at will when she was a kid and 'visited' her neighbors house and observed them watching tv. She didn't ask them to confirm what they had been watching though - pity.

OBE's have been induced in the lab under CT scan and areas of the brain involved observed. These studies might indicate that OBE's are hallucinations, however, none of the subjects had previous uninduced OBE's and therefore could not make a comparison to the 'real thing'.

Then there were studies by Dr Parnia, 2014.

I keep an open mind on the subject. If out of body consciousness is fact then the possibility of there being a 'higher being' could be considered but that does not translate into a creator god and in my opinion, no 'inspired by God biblical writing'. It just means there could be more to this world than we can measure.
I had an OBE when I was a kid. It came after a (not-really-but-to-me-at-the-time) traumatic experience. I had long, curly hair, and it hurt when my mother brushed my hair and I would yell. She was just overwhelmed and in a hurry trying to get the assembly line of kids out of the house in the morning, but it HURT.

Anyway, one day she said she was sick of hearing me yell and cry when she brushed my hair and that she was taking me to get a haircut. And she did. To my father's frikken BARBER, who hacked off my long hair and cut it like a boy's. I even had the razor stubble in the back at my neckline. I had no idea I was going to get this haircut, and I was horrified and embarrassed at how I looked, which was like my brother. I think I was in second grade.

The next day I got up and got ready for school. I remember it was raining, and I had this white raincoat. I would walk to my friend's house and get her and then we walked to school. On the way to my friend's, I was suddenly up in the trees in the woods across the street watching myself round the corner by the neighbor's house. I can still see myself today from that vantage point, my short hair and white raincoat, walking very fast.

It only lasted a brief few moments, then I was back to seeing the street and my friend's house from inside my head. I remember thinking "Wow, I didn't know that could happen" and I tried to figure out how to do it again a few times after that, but I couldn't make it happen.

For some reason I connect that experience with the haircut.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
Is there any proof of the Bible's inspiration by God?

No.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:27 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
The desire and LOVE of obeying laws is bad?

The fact that some people would seem to prefer a society of outlaw biker gangs is PROOF that they might be insane. It is further proof of God and of Jesus in my opinion.
Honestly, who are you talking about? I have never heard one person claim to "prefer" that kind of society. And I'm a pretty twisted dude.

Do you hang around a bunch of anarchists when you aren't in church?

Old 06-22-2019, 01:37 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Is there any proof of the Bible's inspiration by God?

No.
Haha, ahem, yeah, we seem to have wandered off topic.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:03 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
The desire and LOVE of obeying laws is bad?

WOW
The desire to observe laws is not bad in itself, but which laws? Kim Davis broke the law and was locked up. So was she right or wrong? It depends Which laws.

Quote:
The fact that some people would seem to prefer a society of outlaw biker gangs is PROOF that they might be insane. It is further proof of God and of Jesus in my opinion.
False dichotomy 'Either God's laws or biker gangs'. It is strikingly familiar to another fatheaded accusation just recently 'Religion - or stalinism'.

Quote:
Atheists are actually making a case for the Inerrancy of the Bible, which I have not really considered.
Really? Other than your becoming even more stridently partisan about religion, just to show defiance of atheism, i should love to see how that is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality