Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 04:31 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
And those laws were put there by a designer or they’re just a way of explaining the cosmic accident.
nobody says it a cosmic accident Jimmie. They say random event. and yes, many people use the word random wrong. people ,misuse the word random to mean anything can happen. Thats not really true. Like flipping a coin is random. but you will never get anything but heads and tails.

so, even though its random, I can predict a it will be heads or tails every time.

what that means to us jimmis is that when the universe started we wouldn't be able to say the earth and sun will be at this location at this time with this particular type of life.

But we would be able to say that there will be life in a solar system somewhere that uses carbon water and other elements near a star.

both side miss use the information Jimmie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 04:44 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
It's 100% already known the Bible is man made. The Jews were an oppressed people who found hope in their religious beliefs that predate both testaments. Many of these beliefs had a common notion of the Jewish people having God given Rights despite being an oppressed minority. Jesus only preached to the Jewish people as they were the intended audience. You can pretty much thank emperor Constantine the first Christian Roman emperor for our widespread adherence to Christianity. It's crazy that Christianity today represents the power of the roman empire that still manages to have a grip on the world albeit discreet.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
List the traits of Ozzy's god.
lmao ... thats how we start comrade friend, thats how we start. when somebody tells me about a god I always start listing the things they say it has.

list ozzy's god traits and see what ones can be linked back to the standard model and what ones can't. thats all I do and I do not worry about how people feel about the letters DGO in the wrong order. the statement that "its nothing" or "not there" is less valid than "something is there, he just is misunderstanding it."

I start with a list of properties of planet earth. Include all of its systems and how those systems work. its incomplete to be sure, but its all we have. I am willing to go as far 40 au's. they are the traits I see his god having.

this god thing is like dark matter. its there, we just don't know what it is. If one doesn't understand gravity lensing and I use gravity lensing to tell them that something is causing that "dark matter", them telling me " I don't know enough so I wait" tells me something. them basing a statement that we need to stop talking about dark matter because they don't know and the words "dark matter" have baggage is obscurism . All statements of belief based on obscurism end up hurting people.

do you understand that fundy-think theism and fundy-think atheism can both be wrong? like the far left and the far right right can both be wrong? and its ok for us to say that?

Old 06-24-2019, 04:56 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
You can pretty much thank emperor Constantine the first Christian Roman emperor for our widespread adherence to Christianity. It's crazy that Christianity today represents the power of the roman empire that still manages to have a grip on the world albeit discreet.
I was more Theodosius than Constantine. Constantine only made Christianity legal (due more than likely to the constant ear-bashing from his rabidly Christian mother). It was Theodosius I that made it the state religion at the end of the 4th century and it was only then that Christianity started to take-off big-time.

Whether Constantine really was Christian is much in dispute. Many experts say that it was in name only as it eased the ear-bashing from his dear old mum. Constantine remained head of the pagan church until his death and there are no Christian symbols to be found on monuments to him so.......

Old 06-24-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
It's 100% already known the Bible is man made. The Jews were an oppressed people who found hope in their religious beliefs that predate both testaments. Many of these beliefs had a common notion of the Jewish people having God given Rights despite being an oppressed minority. Jesus only preached to the Jewish people as they were the intended audience. You can pretty much thank emperor Constantine the first Christian Roman emperor for our widespread adherence to Christianity. It's crazy that Christianity today represents the power of the roman empire that still manages to have a grip on the world albeit discreet.
great post.

I think its cool ...How a group of people evolved. the problem is that it is as cool as watching prey animals at work.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:03 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I was more Theodosius than Constantine. Constantine only made Christianity legal (due more than likely to the constant ear-bashing from his rabidly Christian mother). It was Theodosius I that made it the state religion at the end of the 4th century and it was only then that Christianity started to take-off big-time.

Whether Constantine really was Christian is much in dispute. Many experts say that it was in name only as it eased the ear-bashing from his dear old mum. Constantine remained head of the pagan church until his death and there are no Christian symbols to be found on monuments to him so.......
The similarities between Constantine and other rulers in the Bible helped to prove to me the truth.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:06 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
And those laws were put there by a designer or they’re just a way of explaining the cosmic accident.
Was the designer a cosmic accident jimmiej?

Old 06-24-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The similarities between Constantine and other rulers in the Bible helped to prove to me the truth.
there is a diference between "love thy neighbor" truth and "dude literally died and rise-ed for sins" truths.

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Explain.

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Was the designer a cosmic accident jimmiej?
Can't you understand that there could be something outside the cosmos?

Are all skeptics really so thick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality