U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 03:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 789,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If we had video footage of the Hand of God touching the Bible, and I bet that you would claim the video was a fake. There is simply no evidence to satisfy someone of your mindset. Satan has you living in deception which is really sad. Your post 10 is a lot of fluff that can't withhold much scrutiny.
You're kidding I hope. Video can be manipulated to look like most anything. If your god is all knowing and powerful, he knows exactly how to prove himself without your doing anything. It is suspect as to why this god was so involved with man 2k years ago, yet not a peep since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 03:26 PM

8,589 posts, read 3,830,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
You're kidding I hope. Video can be manipulated to look like most anything. If your god is all knowing and powerful, he knows exactly how to prove himself without your doing anything. It is suspect as to why this god was so involved with man 2k years ago, yet not a peep since.
God is quite involved now. But it's on an individual basis. Christianity is about having a personal relationship. People have been raised from the dead, healings, encounters with angels and demons. It's all real but personal.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:28 PM

435 posts, read 116,340 times
Thank you all for your replies.

I had originally posted this thread in the Christianity forum & it was moved here.

Does the following count as evidence of inspiration in the Bible, or that it is not entirely 100% man made? See posts 1 & 16 at:

Male circumcision of a baby on the 8th day

Old 05-17-2017, 03:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 789,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
God is quite involved now. But it's on an individual basis. Christianity is about having a personal relationship. People have been raised from the dead, healings, encounters with angels and demons. It's all real but personal.
Proof....

Old 05-17-2017, 03:31 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,269,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
Is there any proof that the Bible is not 100% man made?
Proof? Surely not.

However, speaking as an atheist there is rarely proof of anything. So the standard should be reaching a certain threshold of evidence - say, substantial evidence.

Of course, there's none of that, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
That just moves the problem to another world, it solves nothing.
That's correct. Conceding that something cannot be explained solves nothing. But it is accurate - and far more accurate than making up baseless stories out of some misguided notion that made-up 'solutions' are preferable to admitting a certain lack of knowledge.

The ancient Egyptians knew nothing of gravity, or fusion, or of the structure of the Solar system. So they invented the idea of Ra, the Sun deity.

They sure 'solved' the mystery of the bright warm orb in the sky, didn't they?

Old 05-17-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well, so far, we have had appeal to Faith, science in he Bible, loads of books claiming it is true and as irrelevant appeal to first cause. Do any of the believers have anything valid for the Bible being inspired by God?

P.s my post 10 pretty much demolished those Truth in the Bible claims. But Blind faith is blind indeed.
For the Bible to be shown by evidence to not be inspired by God (or 100% man made, as per post 1 of this thread) - meaning that God had no influence on any part of it whatsoever, even in the most minute way, such as a single word - it is not sufficient to merely post alleged contradictions or historical inaccuracies.

One way to do that would be by providing overwhelming evidence that God does not exist.

Of course AFAWK the originally penned Scriptures no longer exist.

Last edited by ClementofA; 05-17-2017 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Proof? Surely not.

However, speaking as an atheist there is rarely proof of anything. So the standard should be reaching a certain threshold of evidence - say, substantial evidence.

Of course, there's none of that, either.

Sorry, i never defined the word "proof". For the purposes of this thread, the meaning is "evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true" or most likely to be true.

Quote:
1. evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth.

2. anything serving as such evidence:
What proof do you have?

3. the act of testing or making trial of anything; test; trial:
to put a thing to the proof.
Proof | Define Proof at Dictionary.com

Old 05-17-2017, 04:05 PM

39,014 posts, read 10,812,637 times
So now we have the reversal of proof. Atheism doesn't have to prove anything - other than that the Bible (which exists like any other book of claims) is not reliable. That - as I showed in post 10 I have done. That's all that is needed.

And the excuse - it is nothing more - as to why they can't produce any decent evidence. They could, but there's no point as we'd refuse to believe it. Put like that, it's pretty hollow.

I recall - I may have dreamed it as I can recall a you tube, but not a post - a Islamic argument that atheism is 'wrong' because if God himself came down we would find reasons not to believe. In fact I think that, if such a thing did happen, we would require a bit more convincing, but we could be convinced. But it would have to include a good slice of saying "The Bible was written by men, and my input was nit" (which is the topic after all) or I don't see how we could trust whatever entity it claimed to be.

And, Mr Islamist, neither would you if it claimed to be Jesus -god, son of god and resurrected from death. Or indeed, Jeff if it claimed that Jesus was merely a man and not in any way divine, but just a sort of opening act for Muhammad.

No, you fellows, I and other atheists might be convinced if a god appeared, with some ongoing sound and convincing proof. But I wonder whether you would, if it claimed to be a god you didn't believe in?

Old 05-17-2017, 05:10 PM

4,410 posts, read 1,637,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

No, you fellows, I and other atheists might be convinced if a god appeared, with some ongoing sound and convincing proof.
I am afraid that will be too late.

Quote:
But I wonder whether you would, if it claimed to be a god you didn't believe in?
This is true, very true.
And this is the reason why I have repeatedly said, we should make our choices wisely, because in the end, we (including the Atheists) will be responsible for our choices.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:22 PM

13,450 posts, read 4,976,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
so ALL of universe and whatever is in it came from nothing? Big bang started it all?
I don't know. the choices are something or nothing at this point. Its down to what one freaks you, or me, out less. i flip flop myself. So assuming we are the first isn't invalid. I am not sure why your god has to be before us and couldn't started off with us.

so, like I said. most of us do not agree with the traits you assign to that thing. Not that there is or is not something with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or