Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 02:00 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao, exactly right. that's the problem with focussing on unknowns as the base. It tends to pit different beliefs against each other with "unseen" as the cat being tossed at each other. never really settling the issue.

The main problem, as I see it, with a strict religion is that they tend to tell people how they have to deal with the unseen. These "holy" texts, taken literally, tend to stunt people's spiritual growth.

religion is like a cruch, or a cast. A cast can hinder recovery after the bone is healed. A cruch can slow down a fast spitual runner. Not that some don't need a walking device the rest of their lives, but to force the cruch on others that can run, isn't fair.

religions tend to clip people's wings to stop them from flying free. If they let people fly, spiritually that is, we wouldn't even be here.
the problem with saying "religion does this" is the post loses all credibility.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:06 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the problem with saying "religion does this" is the post loses all credibility.
How so?

Religion absolutely stifles one's freedom to discover and walk their own individualized spiritual path without the rules of religion.

Religion teaches that there is only one way to develop spiritually and it's their way or the highway as an outcast.

These are credible facts.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
How so?
Religion absolutely stifles one's freedom to discover walk their own spiritual path without the rules of religion.
Religion teaches that there is only one way to develop spiritually and it's their way or the highway as an outcast.
These are credible facts.
(a) this is religion bashing
(b) learn the difference between a fact and and opinion. because this post demonstrates that you don't know the difference between a fact and an opinion.
(c) all religions are not the same
(d) all religions do not teach the same thing

Old 10-14-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
This is merely your perspective.
Quote:
((b) learn the difference between a fact and and opinion. because this post demonstrates that you don't know the difference between a fact and an opinion.
I posted facts about religion.

Show me one major religion that does not teach you that their way is the only way and the only righteous way.

Show me one major religion that does not mind if you believe that both the Christian god and the Islam god are awesome and one in the same. Toss in the Jewish god as well.
Quote:
LOL isn't that the truth!
Quote:
LOL isn't that the truth!

Old 10-14-2018, 04:20 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
(b) learn the difference between a fact and and opinion. because this post demonstrates that you don't know the difference between a fact and an opinion.
telling people that we need to believe that Jesus rose from the dead and flew away to understand our place in this universe most certainly stunts peoples spiritual growth.

telling children they are born sinners most certainly stunts spiritual growth. yes, its amazing grace when a person can drop that baggage, but overall it stunts more growth than it helps in my opinion.

the standard model can support the notion that, at least part of, the universe loves you. the stand model can support notions that you are etched into the fabric of the universe forever. It all can be done without magic.

Imagine the amazing grace in accepting the universe as it is instead of what you want it to be? kind of the same as your god accepting you?

now you know me traz, I apply the same rigor to my atheism as I do your theism.

I don't like deny everything types either, they stunt growth as surely as your religion. I mean "deny everything because religious people can use it against us" is about as stifling and dishonest as any religion I know.

i don't even know how honest people side with that. oh wait, I don't see honest people siding with that. my bad.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
telling people that we need to believe that Jesus rose from the dead and flew away to understand our place in this universe most certainly stunts peoples spiritual growth.

telling children they are born sinners most certainly stunts spiritual growth. yes, its amazing grace when a person can drop that baggage, but overall it stunts more growth than it helps in my opinion.

the standard model can support the notion that, at least part of, the universe loves you. the stand model can support notions that you are etched into the fabric of the universe forever. It all can be done without magic.

Imagine the amazing grace in accepting the universe as it is instead of what you want it to be? kind of the same as your god accepting you?

now you know me traz, I apply the same rigor to my atheism as I do your theism.

I don't like deny everything types either, they stunt growth as surely as your religion. I mean "deny everything because religious people can use it against us" is about as stifling and dishonest as any religion I know.

i don't even know how honest people side with that. oh wait, I don't see honest people siding with that. my bad.
what i like about your posts and your view is that you point out it is equally problematic to be a militant extremist whether that person is an atheist or a theist. and i agree they are flip sides of the same coin and identical in the behavior of claiming superiority, and denigrating those on a different path. religion bashing is militant extremist behavior. it demonstrates an excruciating intolerance of different opinions. also known as "bigotry."

posts that claim "religion does this" as if all religion is the same and all religions teach the same thing falls in that category of militant and extremist. posts that claim "religion is oppressive" and "a person can't fly and grow spiritually in religion" and "religion stunts your growth" fall in the category of militant and extremist. because not all religions are the same. and it is inaccurate because religions can and do nurture and produce spiritual growth and advancement.

you have opinions and beliefs. you choose them because you like them and they resonate with you.
however that does not mean that other people with differerent views, beliefs, opinions are stunted, crippled, using crutches, broken.

can you not hear the problem in that?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-14-2018 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 04:50 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Intellectual Christian?

A new oxymoron.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
what i like about your posts and your view is that you point out it is equally problematic to be a militant extremist whether that person is an atheist or a theist. and i agree they are flip sides of the same coin and identical in the behavior of claiming superiority, and denigrating those on a different path. religion bashing is militant extremist behavior. it demonstrates an excruciating intolerance of different opinions. also known as "bigotry."

posts that claim "religion does this" as if all religion is the same and all religions teach the same thing falls in that category of militant and extremist. posts that claim "religion is oppressive" and "a person can't fly and grow spiritually in religion" and "religion stunts your growth" fall in the category of militant and extremist. because not all religions are the same. and it is inaccurate because religions can and do nurture and produce spiritual growth and advancement.

you have opinions and beliefs. you choose them because you like them and they resonate with you.
however that does not mean that other people with differerent views, beliefs, opinions are stunted, crippled, using crutches, broken.

can you not hear the problem in that?
No because that's not what's been presented. You've just blown it out of proportion because that's what you always do.

No one here is being militant when they point out 2 very obvious facts about religion.

There is nothing militant in knowing how religion oppresses peoples will to follow their own spiritual path.

There is nothing militant in pointing out that religion teaches their god is the only one and true god and worshiping any other god or religion is forbidden and if you do you will be cast out.

There is not one thing militant in pointing out these 2 facts.

What's militant is the 2 facts themselves. Religion is militant when it comes to a person wanting to follow their own spiritual development without the need for religion...hell in the old days a person would be killed for it.

Religion is militant in taking down anyone who stands up and says No we are not the center of the Universe. In fact the Church was so militant that many a scientist were burned at the stake for simply pointing out facts about the natural world.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
No because that's not what's been presented. You've just blown it out of proportion because that's what you always do.

No one here is being militant when they point out 2 very obvious facts about religion.

There is nothing militant in knowing how religion oppresses peoples will to follow their own spiritual path.

There is nothing militant in pointing out that religion teaches their god is the only one and true god and worshiping any other god or religion is forbidden and if you do you will be cast out.

There is not one thing militant in pointing out these 2 facts.

What's militant is the 2 facts themselves. Religion is militant when it comes to a person wanting to follow their own spiritual development without the need for religion...hell in the old days a person would be killed for it.

Religion is militant in taking down anyone who stands up and says No we are not the center of the Universe. In fact the Church was so militant that many a scientist were burned at the stake for simply pointing out facts about the natural world.
this post is that of a zealot.
there is no rational conversation with a zealot.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-14-2018 at 05:58 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 05:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
this post is that of a zealot.
there is no rational conversation with a zealot.

Still ducking that mirror, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality