Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2018, 12:54 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
[*]"visit from Jesus"

I think there was probably a real person named Jesus more or less around that time. But the Christ mythology is much larger and more ancient than the historical person. From a Jungian perspective, I can see ways in which Mythos can carry deep meaning and Truth for individuals, even if not literally accurate from a historical perspective.
[*]"visit by angels"[*]"visit by any dead person"[*]"heard a message from God"[*]God

For all of the above, my answer is that I don't know. I couldn't say with much confidence that they do exist, or that they don't exist. I am opened evidence and arguments either way. But I do feel fairly confident in saying that if any of these things do exist, then the nature of their existence is probably quite a bit different than the common interpretations found in general culture.
[*]God created the universe and everything in it

I very much doubt Divine Intelligent Design.

[*]every human has an eternal soul

Yeah, sorta, but the Eternal aspect is not personal, it's Universal. The Eternal aspect of consciousness is sorta like triangularity. Every particular triangle has triangularity - each particular triangle is an instantiation of the Universal. But I do not believe that the universal exists independent of the particulars. There are probably no conscious experiences independent of particular physically embodied experiences.

[*]reincarnation

On my theory, all of us could, in principle, have past life memories of actually being Cleopatra or Napoleon Bonaparte, etc., given the right embodied situations.

[*]prayer

BTW: I have to acknowledge that last week I had yet another situationin in which I prayed for the resolution of a seemingly impossible situation, and the situation was resolved. This feels like evidence for some sort of God, or guardian angel, or higher self type of idea. I don't really know what to think about it, metaphysically, but I'm grateful for these outcomes.

[*]placebo[*]miracle healing[*]Divine intervention[*]acupuncture[*]chi[*]there is an unseen energy that gives life and animates life

Lots of stuff going on that we don't currently understand scientifically. Most of it is probably tied to a lack of a good theory of consciousness.
I wouldn't read too much into that, Len mate. I have been through some sticky situations and they almost incredibly resolved in the end. And of course, I never prayed.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:33 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
my point is that which MPD denounces and decries and disparages as "magic" "primitive" "superstition" "magical thinking" he also practices himself "visit from Jesus"
Nothing magical about it. Jesus has a consciousness and His consciousness was born again as Holy Spirit upon His death so it is available to us all in our consciousness (if we are receptive to it). No magic needed.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:09 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nothing magical about it. Jesus has a consciousness and His consciousness was born again as Holy Spirit upon His death so it is available to us all in our consciousness (if we are receptive to it). No magic needed.

let's run it through what Nate offered on "magic thinking" with regards to in this instance the "visit from Jesus" example

"it provides you with comfort and encouragement because of the attitude you bring to it.
but it has no value in and of itself"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Magic thinking" from my standpoint is thinking that any religious observation, rite, ceremony or other such practice has value in itself as opposed to comfort or encouragement derived because we bring the attitude TO that practice. I.e. "baptism saves."
actually Nate's criteria holds up pretty well.
well done Nate.
it's the best anyone has come up with so far on this thread.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-04-2018 at 02:19 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
"Magic thinking" from my standpoint is thinking that any religious observation, rite, ceremony or other such practice has value in itself as opposed to comfort or encouragement derived because we bring the attitude TO that practice. I.e. "baptism saves."
Quote:
Quote:
let's run it through what Nate offered on "magic thinking" with regards to in this instance the "visit from Jesus" example
"it provides you with comfort and encouragement because of the attitude you bring to it.
actually Nate's criteria holds up pretty well.
well done Nate.
it's the best anyone has come up with so far on this thread.
Except it doesn't apply. Nate was talking about "any religious observation, rite, ceremony or other such practice has value in itself." My encounter is none of those.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Except it doesn't apply. Nate was talking about "any religious observation, rite, ceremony or other such practice has value in itself." My encounter is none of those.
of course it is. through and through.

a religious figure visits you, he had a religion named after him, and your meaning of the religious message that religious figure brings is gleaned by you from studying religious holy books, and religious texts. That is very much "a religious observation, rite, practice." The words you consistently use "Comforter" "Jesus" are specific to a specific religion. they are not generic and they are not used by other religions nor are they used in a universal way. you describe yourself as "formerly Buddhist" and "formerly atheist." Now you very much identify with a religious figure who had a religion named after him. the imagery and foundation and symbolism you use Mystic is consistent with a specific religion and the story that particular religion tells. your "visit from Jesus" and the quote just below and you identify as a Crstn...it doesn't get any more crystal clear that is religious.
Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-04-2018 at 03:40 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 03:44 PM

also "baptism saves" is the same type of religious belief / primitive magical thinking / as "since Jesus death he is available to all"

but it has no value in and of itself" Since it happened 2000 years ago, that makes it primitive.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:36 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Quote:
= "visit from Jesus"
Not at all. My point is that "magical" (legendary) elements were added to the narrative of Jesus' ministry, so that should read "= exagerated reports of the 'visit from Jesus.'"

Old 11-04-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
also "baptism saves" is the same type of religious belief / primitive magical thinking / as "since Jesus death, he is available to all"
but it has no value in and of itself" Since it happened 2000 years ago, that makes it primitive.
Baptism is one of the rituals Nate was referring to, NOT my encounter. Baptism pretends that the immersion in water (or a sprinkling of water) in the name of Jesus (and His father and His father's Spirit) somehow magically endows you with the Holy Spirit. It actually does nothing but "provides you with comfort and encouragement because of the attitude you bring to it."

Old 11-04-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Not at all. My point is that "magical" (legendary) elements were added to the narrative of Jesus' ministry, so that should read "= exagerated reports of the 'visit from Jesus.'"
Everything written about him is magical mythical legendary. It's all embellishments and exaggerations and add ons

but it has no value in and of itself" Since it happened 2000 years ago, that makes it primitive."

Washington Post 2014 article "Did historical Jesus really exist? The evidence just doesn't add up.
There are clearly good reasons to doubt Jesus’ historical existence." By Raphael Lataster

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-04-2018 at 07:52 PM..

Old 11-07-2018, 09:37 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Everything written about him is magical mythical legendary. It's all embellishments and exaggerations and add ons

but it has no value in and of itself" Since it happened 2000 years ago, that makes it primitive."

Washington Post 2014 article "Did historical Jesus really exist? The evidence just doesn't add up.
There are clearly good reasons to doubt Jesus’ historical existence." By Raphael Lataster
The top part is spot on. I would change the last notion to ...

In the face of the exonerations there is no reason to question if he was real.
without the magic/mystery parts there is no reason to question if he was real at this point either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality