Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 07:56 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,058,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Me too even though I don't have any Nam stories. It seems obvious that the Bible can be taken many different ways. It looks to me like it's value isn't in revealing who God is but revealing who the person truly is.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:35 PM

21,951 posts, read 19,070,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What has been made very clear to me during my time in the forum is that the main purpose of Religion seems to be to dictate to others in the name of God while pretending that it is out of love. This has been very disheartening since the message of love resonates throughout the spiritual speculations about God. I have a visceral animus against authoritarians and dictators that reached its peak in military service during Viet Nam. I find such dictatorial tendencies and desires to be anathema to ANY concept of God and certainly not remotely compatible with the God I encountered in deep meditation. The God I encountered and the one revealed by Christ (which is the only one I consider to be Christian) is entirely one of Love devoid of the primitive fear and authoritarian memes from the OT. I cannot reconcile and do not know how any Christian can reconcile Christ's God of love with ANY of the authoritarian nonsense from the OT especially when love is so completely described in 1st Cor 13, Galatians 5, and the Sermon on the Mount. I have lost faith in even some of those whom I had considered decent, loving people who seem consumed by dictatorial tendencies. Just love one another, nothing else matters.
Mystic, you are acting exactly like those who say you can ONLY find God through xyz holy book.....when you say you can NEVER find God through xyz holy book.

Can you not hear how you are being authoritarian and dictatorial in your condemning other paths to the Divine?

There is one Creator who made us all. Everyone has equal access. All paths lead there. Period. Full stop. We are all beloved children of the Creator.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-18-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 06-19-2017, 10:38 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,857,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Mystic, you are acting exactly like those who say you can ONLY find God through xyz holy book.....when you say you can NEVER find God through xyz holy book.

Can you not hear how you are being authoritarian and dictatorial in your condemning other paths to the Divine?

There is one Creator who made us all. Everyone has equal access. All paths lead there. Period. Full stop. We are all beloved children of the Creator.
I missed where Mystic said you have to NOT find value in religious texts.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I missed where Mystic said you have to NOT find value in religious texts.
he does not find love
where others do find love

he (his words) "dictates to others in the name of the Creator while pretending that it is out of love."

Quote:
What has been made very clear to me during my time in the forum is that the main purpose of Religion seems to be to dictate to others in the name of God while pretending that it is out of love. This has been very disheartening since the message of love resonates throughout the spiritual speculations about God. I have a visceral animus against authoritarians and dictators that reached its peak in military service during Viet Nam. I find such dictatorial tendencies and desires to be anathema to ANY concept of God and certainly not remotely compatible with the God I encountered in deep meditation. The God I encountered and the one revealed by Christ (which is the only one I consider to be Christian) is entirely one of Love devoid of the primitive fear and authoritarian memes from the OT. I cannot reconcile and do not know how any Christian can reconcile Christ's God of love with ANY of the authoritarian nonsense from the OT especially when love is so completely described in 1st Cor 13, Galatians 5, and the Sermon on the Mount. I have lost faith in even some of those whom I had considered decent, loving people who seem consumed by dictatorial tendencies. Just love one another, nothing else matters.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:07 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,857,576 times
Quote:
he does not find love
where others do find love

he (his words) "dictates to others in the name of the Creator while pretending that it is out of love."
You are simply amazing. Lemme think.... what is it that Mystic says God IS? And where did he get that notion?

When you figure out that things can be USED or they can be MISUSED let us know.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:13 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,500,449 times
Quote:
You are simply amazing. Lemme think.... what is it that Mystic says God IS? And where did he get that notion?

so do we outlaw things based on how bad people use them? I mean sure, we need better controls on the weapon religion, but there are far more dangerous ideologies out there then religion that need to be banned. Like anti-religion, or anti-atheism, anti-trump, anti-hillary, or anti-anything like that really.

anti-fundamentalist-think? well, maybe we let one slide through.

he got his notion from field theory. We think everything might be a field or the interactions between fields. Mystic leans towards an aware field.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:22 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,500,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Me too even though I don't have any Nam stories. It seems obvious that the Bible can be taken many different ways. It looks to me like it's value isn't in revealing who God is but revealing who the person truly is.
its like the first person woke up and asked "what am I". it took awhile for the universe to translate it for us.

I also agree with the notion that how a person describes the god in the bible, or bible itself, is a direct look into the person. just list all the adjectives used. that'll show what's up in side that particular brain. generally speaking that is.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:

it doesn't matter what he says
it is how he treats others
that speaks volumes loud and clear

beating people over the head with disparaging words
does not demonstrate his "just love one another"

God is love, and love one another, are a beautiful message
and a beautiful truth

how he is delivering that message totally destroys that message
it's like having a beautiful vase, and beating people over the head with it, and it shatters.
its beauty is gone, just shards of broken glass that hurt people.

two of my mom's expressions we heard growing up:
"actions speak louder than words"
"practice what you preach"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-19-2017 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-19-2017, 04:55 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,058,111 times
Quote:
it doesn't matter what he says
it is how he treats others
that speaks volumes loud and clear

beating people over the head with disparaging words
does not demonstrate his "just love one another"

two of my mom's expressions we heard growing up
"actions speak louder than words" = how we treat others and behave is the message we send, not the words we are saying
"practice what you preach" = walk the talk, have our actions match our words

And how do you know how he "acts?"

You have judged him solely by his words. And castigated him for them. As you so often judge me by mine. And castigate me for them.

And I quite frankly admit that's the basis upon which I assess a person's character - or distinct lack thereof - when encountered on a message board. A person's words are all there are to go by in Internetville.

It's how I pegged you.

All hypocrites are self-blind.

Last edited by TroutDude; 06-19-2017 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: An "are" replaced an improper "is."

Old 06-19-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
here is a great response, I will quote it in response to your ongoing denigration of paths to the Divine that differ from your own

Quote:
When you use the "big lie" technique of propaganda to denigrate a view different from yours it is clear that you have no real confidence in your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality