Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 10:09 PM

15,799 posts, read 6,242,599 times

Advertisements

Well, that explains why you are all about the book then.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:21 PM

21,951 posts, read 19,076,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
...You are certainly welcome to your own intuitions, but my own inclinations are to be annoyed by what appears to be unrealistically confidence claims about the ultimate truth of someone else's experiences....
That is precisely what so many people find objectionable about his posts, that Mystic is so negative and dismissive towards views that are not his own. Its an ongoing barrage of negativity that is constant. It is also diametrically opposed to his message of love one another.

Can mystic go for 100 posts straight without demeaning any beliefs or any views? I dont think so. But that is something i would like to see. I would love for him to prove me wrong.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-01-2017 at 10:31 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 10:38 PM

Question for mystic or anyone else who holds the view "God conforms to science there is no supernatural"

What about miracles? Supernatural means above or beyond nature meaning able to bypass the laws of nature. Where do miracles fit in your intellectual narrative view?

su·per·nat·u·ral
adjective
a manifestation or event attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:41 PM

63,488 posts, read 39,783,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I said what I said, and I say it again. MysticPhD who contradicts so much of what the Biblical writers have written, did not have an encounter with God and I don't care if you object to it or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your Christian tolerance and love are just oozing out of your posts lately, Mike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Is that loving? See this is why...
No, what Mike posted is not remotely loving or tolerant. That is why the sarcasm smiley was used.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Question for mystic or anyone else who holds the view "God conforms to science there is no supernatural"
What about miracles? Supernatural means above or beyond nature meaning able to bypass the laws of nature. Where do miracles fit in your intellectual narrative view?
su·per·nat·u·ral
adjective
a manifestation or event attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.
I see no reason to create a separate category of natural for the things we do not yet understand.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
That is precisely what so many people find objectionable about his posts, that Mystic is so negative and dismissive towards views that are not his own. Its an ongoing barrage of negativity that is constant. It is also diametrically opposed to his message of love one another.
I am not dismissive and negative toward views that are not my own. I simply explain and defend my views and express my opinion about views I find objectionable on their face. How can someone like me who promotes unconditional love for one another possibly be seen as too negative????
Quote:
Can mystic go for 100 posts straight without demeaning any beliefs or any views? I dont think so. But that is something i would like to see. I would love for him to prove me wrong.
Are you suggesting that I cannot find specific beliefs or views objectionable??? Do you find nothing objectionable, Tzaph? It seems you find my views objectionable. What is the standard here????

Last edited by MysticPhD; 07-01-2017 at 11:15 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
How do you know you are saved then? Isn't there a "calling" that goes with that? Not audibly speaking but being "shown" and you feel it. I looked for possible known things that could cause that and I found articles on pattern recognition and agency detection. I also believe my brain was trained to see things a certain way by the cult I was raised in constantly reading Bible verses. Mystic called is pseudo something when I told him I had found logical explanations. He's so sure he said that without even asking me what evidence I found. Then he called me arrogant. OK maybe not that time but I'm arrogant because I'm an atheist.
I wish you had quoted me saying what you accuse me of, L8, so I could correct your impression of it.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I see no reason to create a separate category of natural for the things we do not yet understand.
You are sidestepping the question mystic. There already is a category and it is called miracles. What about miracles ? What is your explanation or thinking when you hear or read those?

Old 07-01-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I am not dismissive and negative toward views that are not my own. I simply explain and defend my views and express my opinion about views I find objectionable on their face. Are you suggesting that I cannot find specific beliefs or views objectionable??? Do you find nothing objectionable, Tzaph? It seems you find my views objectionable. What is the standard here????
Disagreeing is not a problem.
You go waaaaaaay beyond that to intolerance and superiority and yes dismissive.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
How do I know that I am saved? That's a good question and has a simple answer. The answer is simply that I believe the statements of the apostles who under divine inspiration wrote that you need only place your trust in Jesus Christ in order to be eternally saved. You don't have to have an experience or feeling of some sort to confirm that you have been saved.

For instance, Paul wrote the following.
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you are saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9] not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Nowhere is it written by any Biblical writer that you must have some kind of experience or feel a certain way in order to know that you are saved. You might accept Christ as Savior while having the worlds worst hangover from drinking too much and you feel like hell, but you have been saved. The Biblical teaching is that eternal life is a free gift which you receive simply by placing your faith in Christ Jesus who died for your sins and rose again.
You and your mentors impose conditions on the free gift essentially denying it is a free gift. The Intellectual's Christian teaching is that eternal life is a free gift which you simply need to have faith that Christ Jesus achieved for us by dying because of our sins and brutality, reconciling us to God with His perfect love, and rising again as a Spirit defeating death and connecting us all to God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality