Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 10:49 PM

63,494 posts, read 39,783,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
But no consciousness that exists now has been in existence before. Any "remembering" of past lives is the result of connections with the consciousness of others who lived before. It is never the same consciousness reincarnating. That is the basis for your misunderstanding and the entire delusion that forms the basis of your rationalization of human suffering and evil in this life. It is misguided.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
A soul chooses to incarnate and a soul chooses to keep incarnating by choice and by agreement. They we also do it out of an incredible yearning and desire to assist humanity and help the planet. From our limited small human perspective we don't see or know all the reasons but from the broader wiser perspective of the soul, there is vast sweeping understanding, meaning, purpose, design, intelligence, and wisdom in every situation. From the soul perspective, it makes perfect sense.
And you know this from "our limited small human perspective" HOW???? If it pleases you to imagine this to be true and it helps you to love God and each other, that is fine, but there is little to no support for it in science.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
You have free will MPD. You can steep yourself in "evil and suffering" for as long as you choose to maintain that as your desired focus. And perhaps one day you will use your free will and choose to focus on something else.
What you focus on you become.
You can disagree with me without repeatedly lying about me. I don't steep myself in "evil and suffering." I focus on the love of God and each other and repent when I don't. You should try it.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:17 PM

22,940 posts, read 10,300,058 times
Quote:
You can disagree with me without repeatedly lying about me. I don't steep myself in "evil and suffering." I focus on the love of God and each other and repent when I don't. You should try it.
I didn't read any lying about you, I think you read wrong.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:20 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,503,450 times
Quote:
I think ignoring half of reality leads to incomplete understanding. Without indifference and suffering there can be god amazing grace, no "I and the father are one".

Old 01-13-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstelm View Post
Is there a point when intellect impedes action?
My understanding is we can all take really good guesses at before life and after life as we know it now, but that's all they will ever be. Guesses.
Scientists are humble enough to admit their predictions of what's to come are guesses (of the educated type)
G-d is good, yet His thoughts are not our thoughts. Likewise, our thoughts are not his, scripture says his ways are above man's, and we can not comprehend them, he has not given us the mind to do it.
So, let go of all this and focus on living honestly and humbly, period.
I will concede that intellect impedes belief in God because I was a victim of it early in life. Without my experience, I would probably have remained an atheist. But now I cannot conceive of a reason why God would give us a mind that could NOT comprehend Him or what He wants from us. Our problems do not reside in any limitations of our minds instituted by God. The limitations reside in our selfish carnal nature and need for survival that conflict with the development of our embryo Spirits. Our consciousness (embryo Spirit) is what provides us the capability even to be aware of the existence of suffering and especially the suffering of other beings. Our response to that suffering defines our humanity and our spiritual maturity. When we respond with agape (love, mercy, compassion, and kindness), we nourish our embryo Spirit toward maturity. When we don't, we stifle and retard our development.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:59 PM

21,953 posts, read 19,076,968 times
Quote:
... If it pleases you to imagine this to be true and it helps you to love God and each other, that is fine, but there is little to no support for it in science.
Let's apply your own criteria to your own stated views.

There is no support in science for your fanciful claim that you "met God" but it pleases you to imagine that you did.

There is no support in science for your fanciful baseball fable but it pleases you to imagine it to be true.

It pleases you to imagine a "human god" was born 2000 odd years ago though science does not support this fanciful description

It appears from your posts shown (above and below) that your logic / criteria are along the lines of this: if science does not support something it is "imagined" and the person "inagines it to be true" because "it pleases them" to have these "fanciful descriptions"

Either you apply the same standard to your own views MPD, or else it's a double standard.

Quote:
... IF your fanciful description of our origins pleases you and nourishes your belief in and love of God, that is fine, but there is little to support it scientifically.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-13-2018 at 07:11 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 07:11 PM

691 posts, read 416,789 times
Quote:
I will concede that intellect impedes belief in God because I was a victim of it early in life. Without my experience, I would probably have remained an atheist. But now I cannot conceive of a reason why God would give us a mind that could NOT comprehend Him or what He wants from us. Our problems do not reside in any limitations of our minds instituted by God. The limitations reside in our selfish carnal nature and need for survival that conflict with the development of our embryo Spirits. Our consciousness (embryo Spirit) is what provides us the capability even to be aware of the existence of suffering and especially the suffering of other beings. Our response to that suffering defines our humanity and our spiritual maturity. When we respond with agape (love, mercy, compassion, and kindness), we nourish our embryo Spirit toward maturity. When we don't, we stifle and retard our development.
That in bold is a logical explanation for the limitations placed on us mentally

Like a rev limiter on an engine. In a lot of ways

Old 01-13-2018, 07:20 PM

22,940 posts, read 10,300,058 times
Quote:

There is no support in science for your fanciful claim that you "met God" but it pleases you to imagine that you did.

There is no support in science for your fanciful baseball fable but it pleases you to imagine it to be true.

It pleases you to imagine a "human god" was born 2000 odd years ago though science does not support this fanciful description

It appears from your posts shown (above and below) that your logic / criteria are along the lines of this: if science does not support something it is "imagined" and the person "inagines it to be true" because "it pleases them" to have these "fanciful descriptions"

Either you apply the same standard to your own views MPD, or else it's a double standard.
Good post.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I encountered a consciousness that establishes our entire reality. A conscious reality is about as real a God as one can imagine. But I will cede that you are unfamiliar enough with my Synthesis that it probably seems unsupported by the science you know.
Quote:
The idea that one of us had to achieve what the rest of us could not achieve makes far more sense to me than one of us had to be scourged and crucified as a blood sacrifice to appease God for ANYTHING so He could forgive us! God can forgive us any time He wants. He needs nothing. But again, I will cede that you are unfamiliar enough with my Synthesis that it probably seems unsupported by the science you know.
Quote:
It pleases you to imagine a "human god" was born 2000 odd years ago though science does not support this fanciful description.
I imagine that a human being was born 2000 odd years ago who achieved perfect resonance ("Identity" in science) with the Spirit of God in His human consciousness. His death resulted in His human Spirit being reborn as Spirit and connected ALL human consciousness with God's consciousness.
Quote:
It appears from your posts shown (above and below) that your logic/criteria are along the lines of this: if science does not support something it is "imagined" and the person "imagines it to be true" because "it pleases them" to have these "fanciful descriptions"
I agree, Tzaph, that is why I refer to these aspects of my otherwise scientifically supported Synthesis as my BELIEFS.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:07 PM

21,953 posts, read 19,076,968 times
Quote:
... my BELIEFS...
If you wish for others to consider your fanciful magical imaginings as "beliefs" then recognize and acknowledge that other people have beliefs as well.

Not "fanciful descriptions" they "imagine to be true" because it "pleases them."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.