Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 12:26 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your preference for demagoguery is noted. The baseball analogy is in no way intended to be a literal description but you knew that. Sad to be so entrapped in tradition and denial.
you missed the point.
the point is you take a literal human person who died over 2,000 years ago and elevate that human person to the stature of God. Literally.

Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel
i agree. that's the problem with elevating a human baseball player to the stature of God.
again, your logic applied to your own views.

Quote:
There is tremendous danger in elevating mere flawed and fallible humans to the stature of God. No good can come of it, period!
You claim that a dead Jew is God. And at the same time you recognize the "tremendous danger in elevating mere flawed and fallible humans to the stature of God. No good can come of it." I agree. Your statements, your logic applied to your own views.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-12-2018 at 01:53 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
.... The baseball analogy is in no way intended to be a literal description but you knew that.....
And yet you apply "literal description" quite freely to many parts of the bible in your scathing opening post. so....double standard.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-12-2018 at 01:52 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 02:28 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
And yet you apply "literal description" quite freely to many parts of the bible in your scathing opening post. so....double standard.
I only apply it to those who DO literally interpret those ideas. As regards the baseball analogy, you know full well that I do NOT. You could make some sincere effort NOT to be coy or disingenuous in these discussions, Tzaph.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
You claim that a dead Jew is God. And at the same time you recognize the "tremendous danger in elevating mere flawed and fallible humans to the stature of God. No good can come of it." I agree. Your statements, your logic applied to your own views.
To be accurate, I claim that a "dead Jew" (your words) embodied the Holy Spirit of God within His human consciousness elevating ALL human consciousness with God and was born again as Spirit to abide with us as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts." That is not at all what you inferred from my posts.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
To be accurate, I claim that a "dead Jew" (your words) embodied the Holy Spirit of God within His human consciousness elevating ALL human consciousness with God and was born again as Spirit to abide with us as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts." That is not at all what you inferred from my posts.
you said in another post that in your religion the dead Jew you pray to is the same as God.
that is elevating a human to the stature of God.
that is elevating (your words here) "a mere flawed and fallible human to the stature of God."
every human is flawed and fallible, by definition, that is part and parcel of being human. including the dead Jew.

your posts are clear.

Quote:
There is tremendous danger in elevating mere flawed and fallible humans to the stature of God. No good can come of it, period!...
Quote:
.... Pragmatically, there is no significant difference between worshiping Jesus as the representation of God and worshiping God. ....

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-12-2018 at 05:01 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I only apply it to those who DO literally interpret those ideas. As regards the baseball analogy, you know full well that I do NOT. You could make some sincere effort NOT to be coy or disingenuous in these discussions, Tzaph.
I guess you can't or won't make the effort given your post below.
Quote:
you said in another post that in your religion the dead Jew you pray to is the same as God.
that is elevating a human to the stature of God.
that is elevating (your words here) "a mere flawed and fallible human to the stature of God."
every human is flawed and fallible, by definition, that is part and parcel of being human. including the dead Jew.
your posts are clear.
Clearly, you refuse to deal honestly and objectively with my views because of your extreme defensiveness about your own views. The human consciousness of Jesus achieved perfect resonance (Identity) with the consciousness of God. That means His consciousness is indistinguishable from God's. Upon His death, His human consciousness became the first-born Spirit offspring of God. We are to follow Him as the adopted Spirit offspring of God upon our death. Your need to classify Him as God or not is a distraction and a distinction that has no relevance.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:20 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
We are just conditioned to think of ourselves as a physical being by the necessities of living in a material world.
I have never experienced conditioning. Fact is we are a physical being existing in a physical world.
Quote:
We are a Spirit being that is nurtured and developed within a physical body and brain. We will leave it upon our physical death and be "born again" as Spirit in a spiritual body. IMO.
That's right...IYO!

Old 02-13-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
I guess you can't or won't make the effort given your post below.
Clearly, you refuse to deal honestly and objectively with my views because of your extreme defensiveness about your own views. The human consciousness of Jesus achieved perfect resonance (Identity) with the consciousness of God. That means His consciousness is indistinguishable from God's. Upon His death, His human consciousness became the first-born Spirit offspring of God. We are to follow Him as the adopted Spirit offspring of God upon our death. Your need to classify Him as God or not is a distraction and a distinction that has no relevance.
It is very relevant. Because you say it is "tremendous danger" and "no good can come of it" to elevate a human to the stature of God, a "mere flawed and fallible human." But then you do it anyway. You have made a dead Jew in your own words "indistinguishable from God." You can't distinguish between a dead Jew and God.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-13-2018 at 06:04 AM..

Old 02-13-2018, 09:52 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
It is very relevant. Because you say it is "tremendous danger" and "no good can come of it" to elevate a human to the stature of God, a "mere flawed and fallible human." But then you do it anyway. You have made a dead Jew in your own words "indistinguishable from God." You can't distinguish between a dead Jew and God.
The danger is real. The answer is not to refrain from doing it but to be aware of the danger. People drive every day and they are mostly careful. The danger in claiming the Spirit guidance, just as in elevating a living human. is in doing so WITHOUT reference to the nature of that Spirit. People do it allthe time and some religious traditions clim that guidance for their institution, but you will rarely see those people or institutions justifying their claims by showi ng how they demonstrate the Spirit described by Jesus.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:19 AM

16,756 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
What was misleading about the title?
The virus is responsible for allowing our nerves and brain cells to function. This would be the case for a complex brain like ours, or a simple brain used only for regulation.

To get to consciousness we had to first evolve a complex mid brain, and then the intellectual fore brain. So it's just part of the evolutionary chain, it's not the direct cause of our consciousness. And that's what the title implied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality